Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

Hi guys,

I'm using 7018 low hydrogen electrodes, I can't seem to run the first bead on the cap, it runs ok but when I chip the slag of it looks like it has cold lap on the bottom, like a lip on the bottom toe.

I run horizontal between 115-120 amps.

The runs on top look we'll fused its just the first run.

Any tips

Thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

My thoughts...

Personally, I prefer 105-110A to limit the heat a bit, but thats a "preference", not a requirement.

I'd suggest setting your weld line just a bit higher, and run an angle that pushes both "forward" 15* and "up" about 30*, so the arc-force works to your advantage. You may also be moving just a "tad" to slow, allowing time for the puddle to sag.

Hood time and experimenting will fix this for you.

Steve S
Crf450ish
    Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm

In my opinion, I think anything below 125 Amps for 2G 1/8 7018 is inadequate heat. I always run 130 on plate at work. Granted trees plenty of heat dissipation. Even if your running 3/32 you should still be at 90 amps with 7018. Remember your fighting gravity so adjust your rod angle accordingly. I always angle my rod upwards a little so the puddle doesn't try to lap over anything I don't want it to

Crf450ish wrote:In my opinion, I think anything below 125 Amps for 2G 1/8 7018 is inadequate heat. I always run 130 on plate at work. Granted trees plenty of heat dissipation. Even if your running 3/32 you should still be at 90 amps with 7018. Remember your fighting gravity so adjust your rod angle accordingly. I always angle my rod upwards a little so the puddle doesn't try to lap over anything I don't want it to
Hey, Crf450ish, (Crawfish?)

Here's a reminder to all that no two of us do it alike...

I'll weld 14" sch. 80 pipe all day at 105A with 1/8" Exacalibur 7018 and pass x-ray in any position. Why? Because I can do a 6010 root in 1/8" 5P+ at the same 105A and pass x-ray, and fill and cap it without a settings change.

We seem to agree on rod-angle as a factor here, and I don't disagree with your preferred settings. I just want to remind everyone the "preferred" settings are just that, and there's a broad range that works.

Steve S
Crf450ish
    Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Crf450ish wrote:In my opinion, I think anything below 125 Amps for 2G 1/8 7018 is inadequate heat. I always run 130 on plate at work. Granted trees plenty of heat dissipation. Even if your running 3/32 you should still be at 90 amps with 7018. Remember your fighting gravity so adjust your rod angle accordingly. I always angle my rod upwards a little so the puddle doesn't try to lap over anything I don't want it to
Hey, Crf450ish, (Crawfish?)

Here's a reminder to all that no two of us do it alike...

I'll weld 14" sch. 80 pipe all day at 105A with 1/8" Exacalibur 7018 and pass x-ray in any position. Why? Because I can do a 6010 root in 1/8" 5P+ at the same 105A and pass x-ray, and fill and cap it without a settings change.

We seem to agree on rod-angle as a factor here, and I don't disagree with your preferred settings. I just want to remind everyone the "preferred" settings are just that, and there's a broad range that works.

Steve S

This is true and thanks for the reminder. It's just I've worked in the field around pipefitters, iron workers and millrights etc, and never heard of 1/8 7018 being ran at anything less then 110. But hey I'm not gonna knock ya if ya can make it for ya and it looks good and passes radiography test

Crf450ish wrote:

This is true and thanks for the reminder. It's just I've worked in the field around pipefitters, iron workers and millrights etc, and never heard of 1/8 7018 being ran at anything less then 110. But hey I'm not gonna knock ya if ya can make it for ya and it looks good and passes radiography test
Quite right... The settings I use are not the norm, and may not work for others. I've seen 6G pipe welded anywhere from my 105 to 135, and the results are accepted. I've yet to meet two weldors who do it exactly the same. I'm always amazed by the people who do it almost "opposite" the way I do...

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

1/8" 7018 technically starts at 90 amps. I run my 6G tests at 105amps and never change it. One guy at the shop runs his around 115 which I feel is to hot but it works for him. They were watching me run a test at 105 and they couldn't believe how I could do that. I agree on each having a preference. I had someone watch my method for 6G and they couldn't duplicate my method. In contrast I don't want to duplicate his method.
For reference, here is the Lincoln Excalibur spec sheet.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c21010.pdf
-Jonathan