Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

You sold the Chinese ***?
No wonder you were speaking so well of it lately to MinnesotaDave :lol:

Don't go all AK on me, I'm only kidding. I can't find a Chinese one for sale around here.
I would love to have a POWERARC 300, can't afford one.
AKweldshop wrote: You'll be happy to know I sold that Esab welder last night.
Now every welder I own is Lincoln.
Happy now??!!
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

mbmalone wrote:If you call AK's chinese welder a "toaster oven" again, he might go Gorilla on yo A$$ :lol:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Pretty good for what amounts to a large toaster oven :D
Heck, I have a toaster oven too - it's the Miiler Maxstar 150s.
150 amps from only 13 lbs.
http://store.cyberweld.com/mima150sstwe ... AiO68P8HAQ

The ESAB unit is a better buy for the money though in my opinion.

I bought the miller used for around $200 if I remember correctly.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Bill Beauregard wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:Pretty good for what amounts to a large toaster oven :D
I'm getting to where I believe inverters may actually be "almost" as good as big, heavy, dirty, old welders 8-)

I prefer to weave going up too :)
Don't do it Dave! You are the last hold out in the world. You'll upset the balance, it might affect the Earth's orbit. Should you come over to the dark side, it will leave no one but the many thousands of welders using 4000 LB Lincoln pipeline welders from an earlier century! Evil will win over good!
Haha! Don't worry, my goal is to have enough old equipment to cause the earth to wobble :D
My 1956 Power Wagon had a 3/8" lock washer laying on top of the flat head engine for 25 years. After rebuilding the engine I put it back. The terrain it drives over is steep enough, but vibration will never cause it to fall off. Old machines such as the ones you have will not cause any wobble. A pollution cloud like Saturn,....... well maybe...no it would take a lot of us for that.
Bill Beauregard

The planets haven't aligned yet. Howard, the fabricator at the pellet mill with the Trailblazer is either eyeball deep in a rushed project, or off with his own two kids and wife on an adventure we hope will give his sons some memory of their father. At the North end of the building we share my bobcat 250, at the south end is the welding shop where his trailblazer languishes unable to be transported through the sea of equipment, people, and Corvettes parked by VIPs who are all in the office congratulating each other on their brilliance at getting a two week job done in one, ( by the way it's Monday of the first week), to where it is needed. Howard is adaptable, aside from some good natured bitching about my welder not being detailed, his welds look and perform equally good from Trailblazer or Bobcat.
I, on the other hand, wonder if I might make nicer welds with more technology? Howard doesn't get it. Why do I want to weld like him? They pay me as much either way. No one there can look at a weld and say I did it or Howard. I explain that I can tell. He rolls his eyes.
I want to know what life is like with anti stick features, three phase welding power etc. etc. Howard is proof that low tech can weld as nice as high tech. I am proof it can't.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

1/8 7018 1/2 plate. Uphill. No weave/no nothing, just straight up. About 110 amps or so. Invertech v 350.
Excuse the tie ins.
ImageImage
Very slightly pushing the puddle uphill. 45° angle to the plates.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

That's nice jasper!!!

Must be the machine. ;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I practiced on some real thin plate yesterday with 3/32 7018. From 90 to 95 amps. I'm putting these up even though i dont even consider myself in the same league as most of you guys...AK and Jasper and MANY others. Im on summer break from school and I was dying to light up and melt some metal. Couldve held the toes for a little longer and tied into the previous bead better, but thats why ya practice right?

When i preview it shows the pics horizontally for some reason but theyre vert up
Attachments
CAM00566.jpg
CAM00566.jpg (31.73 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00565.jpg
CAM00565.jpg (46.93 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00563.jpg
CAM00563.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00560.jpg
CAM00560.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00559.jpg
CAM00559.jpg (58.43 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00557.jpg
CAM00557.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00556.jpg
CAM00556.jpg (42.32 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00555.jpg
CAM00555.jpg (37.07 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
CAM00553.jpg
CAM00553.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
"The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation"

Hey, not bad.
Looks pretty smooth.
And I'm no professional. Lol

Yea it served its purpose as good practice.

I dont have alot of experience with big weaves like AK's and its nice to get to see some done right. They come out looking great. Maybe ill try some of those out next time too.

Try a few with no weave, and 3/8 7018, if you can.

Will do buddy thanks. Maybe this weekend ill get to weld again!
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

6010 downhill? .... if I practice that, I might forget and try it on my test and bomb that sucker. :o
I know that's what the pipeliners do, but I don't think that complies with the weld test requirements in Louisiana.

Michael
Braehill wrote:mbmalone,
Most people run 6010 downhill if I remember correctly and 7018 uphill.

Len
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

mbmalone wrote:6010 downhill? .... if I practice that, I might forget and try it on my test and bomb that sucker. :o
I know that's what the pipeliners do, but I don't think that complies with the weld test requirements in Louisiana.

Michael

Len
Louisiana isn't somehow "special"...

A 6010 open-root downhill is common practice anywhere you go.

Some employers require 6010 up, and that's fine, as if you can do one, you should be able to do the other, but don't presume there's some "superiority" in one over the other.

Pipeliners, BTW, will often follow the 6010 root with 8010 the rest of the way out.

Steve S
Bill Beauregard

Otto Nobedder wrote:
mbmalone wrote:6010 downhill? .... if I practice that, I might forget and try it on my test and bomb that sucker. :o

Michael

Len
Louisiana isn't somehow "special"...

A 6010 open-root downhill is common practice anywhere you go.

Some employers require 6010 up, and that's fine, as if you can do one, you should be able to do the other, but don't presume there's some "superiority" in one over the other.

Pipeliners, BTW, will often follow the 6010 root with 8010 the rest of the way out.

Steve S
I apologize for just now reading your post, What is the reason for 6010 root? Is it superior penetration? Easy flow and wetting without drip? Good ductility? or something else?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

6010 is done in the root simply because its a quick and easy way to make a good root with good penetration, and minimal slag inclusions for the next pass. A 6010 "hot pass" is often done, because the deep-penetration nature of the rod will cook out slag left by the root pass. "Hot pass" is a misnomer, as it's seldom done any hotter than the root; It's just held longer across any point to cook out any slag left in the toes of the root and provide a smooth base for fill and cap passes with whatever rod is called out in the WPS.

Steve S