Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Is this possible? I never realized I hadn't done it before. Tried it last night with crappy results. Everything I tried, every heat I tried...nothing ran well.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

It's been years, but I have done it. You have to be ready to flick the slag puddle out of your way. Then jump back into position to continue the weld.
I live in a county that has three Navy shipyards, over the years several welders in these yards have told me the Navy has a procedure for 7018 vertical down hill.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Sounds like crap!!!!
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd think the extreme challenge of it (staying ahead of the slag and keeping inclusions out of the weld) would make it inefficient compared to a xx10 downhill and/or xx18 up.

I'm sure it "can" be done. This does not mean it "should" be done.

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I actually tried it the other day on 30" pipe. Lets just say I need more practice and really once you cleaned the weld up it didn't look all that bad. The slag is a killer. I didn't think of flicking the slag out of the way. I will have to try it more in the future. I to have heard of procedures for 7018 vertical down. Hence the reason I was giving it a shot.
-Jonathan
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

There is a 7018 rod ive heard about designed for vertical down, cant remember the name as its been a while
Dancing with the blue lady
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

7018 downhill is a waste of time. You will trap more slag than you'll deposit weld metal

Wanna run vertical down? Get some 6010 or 6011.

Try the right rod for the right job.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

kermdawg wrote:Is this possible?
rake wrote:7018 downhill is a waste of time. You will trap more slag than you'll deposit weld metal

Wanna run vertical down? Get some 6010 or 6011.

Try the right rod for the right job.
It was just a question :/
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

wheresmejumper wrote:There is a 7018 rod ive heard about designed for vertical down, cant remember the name as its been a while
It's called 7014.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here are three 7018 electrodes from Lincoln that claimed vertical down:
(The bottom of each pic shows positions)
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (36.61 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

10045 is the low hy electrode for downhill I had heard of
lincoln pipeliner lh-d100
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Co ... nElectric)
Dancing with the blue lady
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

It can be done. I have done it but only by request. You need to run 10-15 amps hot at least and run a slight push down angle. Also do a back step pattern. This will allow you to keep the steel ahead of your weld as clean as possible while you travel down and use the push angle and arc force to drip away the extra slag. To me it defeats the purpose of using 7018s. Why not 7010s but again I only do it by request of another welder that I sometimes help out.
Be the monkey....
    Thu May 22, 2014 8:51 am

:D Have heard of it being done on Pipeline
Shawn Mackay
EpicInvasion714
    Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 am

My welding instructor said it is possible but said you have to in a sad face kinda of pattern and that you have to be fast otherwise you will burn through and that as you are welding you see the junk falling down from the previous one

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

I've only used 7018 downhill for thin metal never heard of doing it for any structural type welding, seems like going up hill would make for better results anyways
EpicInvasion714
    Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 am

Im currently learning vertical up 7018 and my instructor says that is what you use most of the time in thw field. I don't know if it is true or not

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
    Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm

You have to run the rod slowly. run your heat just like you would for flat and burn slow enough to boil the slag out of the puddle. If you watch the puddle you'll see the slag try to run down. In a way this helps cuz the only way i found to counteract it was to whip back to the center of the weld and do a little circle to push it back and boil it out. This gives better penetration at the root of the joint and then just continue to whip it back and forth like normal vertical. My dad taught me this trick welding on logging truck trailers. We had alot to build and nothing but 7018 to do it with. I argued with him that 7018 wasnt a downhill rod til he showed me and after 2 practice passes i had it down. Those trailers still hauling heavy loads every day and aint broke yet