Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

How many of us fellas would one buy of these slag hammers?
:?: how much are you trying to sell one of these for, Slagenator :?:
Last edited by AKweldshop on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Slagenator
    Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:47 pm

I have been selling them to the guys on the job for $49.95 plus shipping. Just buying a good flashlight is pricey now. The guys who use them say they like using it. I seen a guy yesterday walking around in the basement and using the slagenator as a flashlight just waking around. Looked like a new type of weapon. Website should be finished soon.
Slagenator

The guys on the job didn't have to pay shipping and some of them wanted San Diego charger colors. Had to be careful because I don't have a deal with the NFL

I would talk to the NFL, about team emblems and colors, get a patent
I'll take Baltimore Ravens :D :D

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Slagenator

I will ask how to join the NFL club.
Slagenator

I will ask how to join the NFL club.

cool :D post back when you do ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
poptm
    Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Good luck with that idea (I seriously mean that). Personally, I wouldn't buy it or even accept one from you for free. But then someone will. Just need to get enough "someones" to give you their hard earn cash (or not so hard earned cash) for it. The problem with it, as I see it, is that the light doesn't stay focus on the same spot as you swing the hammer and that would but it in the gimmick catagory for me.
Slagenator

The lights primary function is not for use while swinging or aiming. It may be a useful secondary function but primarily it is nice to have a light capable of inspecting for slag or undercut. You can shine the light for fillet welds at an angle to find the undercut shadow. I need a careful examination of my welds after I clean them. The light immediately available on the chip makes it just a tad bit faster. Might be the edge I need come layoff time. I try and put every advantage in my arsenal of tools.

photo.JPG [attachment=2]photo.JPG
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (69.31 KiB) Viewed 1893 times

Here's my chipping hammer :lol:

18 in piece of 1/2 pipe for a handle and a big heavy chisel :)
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (171.76 KiB) Viewed 1878 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (61.93 KiB) Viewed 1893 times
Last edited by AKweldshop on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Slagenator

I like the custom tip on that thing.

Just a old chisel I found, The piece of 1/2 in pipe had a v notch cut in the end when I found it ;)

I like the extra weight and length, and I sharpened the tip to a chisel edge ;)

I like building some of my tools. I'll be getting more pictures, soon, as I just got a new iphone ;)

Thanks, John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Good on you for having the stones to get up and give something a crack. I for one have many fabulous ideas, but will never ever have the sack to do anything about it.

I dont do stick welding in tight dark spots....( :oops: ) but i do alot of mig, and often hold my little aaa led torch alongside my chisel for directional light. Maybe a patent extension for a light that runs paralell to chisel.... Good luck. Ill share your idea around in Australia. :-)

Mick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I just watched your videos, some feed back....I would consider a top mounted light, maybe. Low profile, of course, so it didnt get in the way,

Mick.
Slagenator

I like the directional light. Perhaps it can be a colored light for better contrast. I have made some prototypes on wooden handled chipping hammers. It works good there. Putting a different light profile on the light is something I want to do but haven't found a light source compatable with growing and shrinking to fit different applications and be impact resistant, yet.
Slagenator

Slagenator.com just got fired up. Let me know what you think.

Slagenator wrote:Slagenator.com just got fired up. Let me know what you think.

Your website looks good ;)

One thing you have to overcome is, proving to people that they need a "Slagenator"

You need some more videos showing the function and usefulness of your product...

John ;)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Congratulations on getting that far with your idea & I agree with AKworkshop - nice site - but you need something to really sell the product - in the past I've bought various things I did'nt need & never use when distracted by boobies !!

Just saying.
Slagenator

My real good Christian partner approached me about that idea and talked us out of it. You are right though. The slagenator is at best a low budget marketing campaign. Just a Dad & son project, both real good union elevator craftsmen, with wives telling us how far out of budget we are with this idea. So far nothing is outsourced and a small inventory is still available. If this does take off I do want to keep this American made, it can easily become a cheap tool that doesn't work and that would be a disgrace.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

OK - it was more of a joke than a serious suggestion ! in view of your limited resources I admire your pursuit of making & marketing this idea - I hope there are plenty of fellow elevator engineers out there that will buy one as I still have never been in a situation that makes me want one ! but then again who can predict why something sells or becomes the latest craze - all the best with it in the coming new year.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Shipyard welders are a possible market, with stick and fluxcore welds in all kinds of dark corners... Put a lanyard or attach point for one on it, and you can market it as a "two in one" freeing up a space on the harness.

For that matter, for this market the light could be in the handle, pointing out the bottom, greatly reducing the shock on the "business end", and marketed as an inspection light without the inferrence of "aiming" with the light.

Just a thought.

Steve S
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Otto Nobedder wrote: For that matter, for this market the light could be in the handle, pointing out the bottom, greatly reducing the shock on the "business end", and marketed as an inspection light without the inferrence of "aiming" with the light.
Or use a light unit installed safely in the base/handle that uses some simple fiber-optics (plastic/acrylic can do as well) upwards towards the head and 'out the front' to get the impact reduction on the light source and still get the light where you want it. May also allow a smaller profile on the light source near the head of the hammer.

Weight of the batteries and such in the base/handle should also put the balance of the hammer more to the middle making it perhaps less 'top heavy' to use.

Bye, Arno.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

with the amount of posts regarding this tool i'd say he was onto something. you go slag! i hope you make a bazillion bucks off your idea so don't give up!
Dongilmet
    Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:56 pm

I want the Slagonator, chipping hammer with led under the hammer ok both sides, where can I get it anyone know?