Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
KG1257
    Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:47 pm

So this is kind of a last resort, I know stick welding aluminum is not the preferred option. However, I'm working on a project at the moment that requires some aluminum welding I wasn't aware of and if I'm able to stick weld it, it would save some hassle. My goal here is to be able to weld 1/2" thick aluminum in the overhead position, and pipe railing joints. Everything I've read about these aluminum welding rods has been somewhat negative, but I figure I'll give it a shot anyway....if its worth giving a shot.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you have no experience welding aluminum with stick, I'd think "overhead" would NOT be the place to start. Wear all the leathers you own, and good luck.

If you can afford to burn five pounds of rod practicing, "maybe".

Never tried that stunt myself.

I'd go oxy-fuel and flux, first.

However, with a 1/2" section, a spool gun MIG is the best choice. It can be TIGged, but you'll want helium.

Steve S
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:If you have no experience welding aluminum with stick, I'd think "overhead" would NOT be the place to start. Wear all the leathers you own, and good luck.

If you can afford to burn five pounds of rod practicing, "maybe".

Never tried that stunt myself.

I'd go oxy-fuel and flux, first.

However, with a 1/2" section, a spool gun MIG is the best choice. It can be TIGged, but you'll want helium.

Steve S

To add to Steve's above response if you TIG you'll need a lot of amps!!!
Drowstiq
    Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 pm

The slag will be really heavy (heavy enough to choke out your arc if you dont move fast enough) and you need to really smack the slag hard to break it when you are ready to clean it...

also stick burns REALLY fast - more then 2X speed of reg electrode.

also practice because trying to tie in if your weld stoped or was choked out is almost impossible.

also need to get right size electrodes for whatever thickness you are welding...
because of the heavy slag you cannot get good penetration on thick stuff because you have to move at a good speed and to big of a electrode on to thin material will just burn thru...

also if you get the 1/8 electrode it says between 70-120 amps AC - 105 is the majik number.

Hope it helps - Peter.