Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chadwarden
    Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 am

My school is for the most part using 6013s so I'm thinking of buying a 130 amp single phase stick welder. Can any of you guys can suggest a reasonably priced single phased stick welder that can burn 1/8 rods (3.2mm) pretty well. By the way, I live in Australia.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Have a search on Ebay, for Cigweld. Change it to used.
and you will see a number of old stick.welders that should serve you nicely. WIA, peerless, champion and Aussie made lincolns are all good welders. Im not sure if you will.find an Ac/dc switchable one over here, they are mostly straight ac for older welders. Check newspapers for arc welders. Thats a slang name they get over here. Also check garage sales (yard sales) and Cash Converters. (pawn shop). People throw out the old buzz boxes.pretty cheap now days .

Mick

Hey

PS where are you located?

Mick
chadwarden

I live in Sydney. So... would those work with 3.2 mm rods? Since they can go up to 130 amps, I should have no problems, right?
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

http://www.everlastwelds.com.au/welders ... rARC_140ST
http://www.everlastwelds.com.au/welders ... actus.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3MMVzNKiDw
chadwarden wrote:My school is for the most part using 6013s so I'm thinking of buying a 130 amp single phase stick welder. Can any of you guys can suggest a reasonably priced single phased stick welder that can burn 1/8 rods (3.2mm) pretty well. By the way, I live in Australia.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Chadwarden.

You should be able to find an inverter welding machine that runs single phase.
I recommend that you consider the following two or three aspects.

The open circuit voltage (the machine voltage just before the arc is struck) of the welding machine. For example, the E6013 rods, require a lower open circuit voltage (approximately 70 volts)to ensure the starting of the arc. Instead, for example, the E7018 and E6010 rods, require a higher open circuit voltage (approximately 90 to 100 volts) to start the arc. The welding machines, may or may not, have those open circuit voltage characteristics.

Make sure the salesman gives you the guarantee that it will burn 3.2 mm diameter low hydrogen (example: E7018) and 3.2mm cellulose rod (example: E6010).

The other aspect you may want to look at is the '% duty cycle". It is stated on the data plates of the welding machines. A 30% duty cycle would allow you to weld 3 minutes out of 10 minutes, without risk of the machine turning itself off. A 60% duty cycle would allow you to weld 6 out of 10 minutes, without automatically turning itself off. Considering that you weld a rod, take time to change electrodes, etc., ... perhaps a 60% duty machine is sufficient.

Tanks.
Alexa

Hey,

The ones I metioned are all "old" second hand welders. I assume the student budget wont stretch to a 350 dollar inverter? The peerlees ones seem to be 160 amps, some of the cigweld ones are around 140amps, If buying one off ebay, dont be afraid to.ask.questiins. to the seller. You should have no trouble picking up a decent welder in Sydney. It is a very big area.

if you can stretch for a new one, There are lots of inverters on the market. Everlast, as alexa mentions also Uni mig, Token Tools, I think the cigweld weldskill inverters are a little light on.

Mick
chadwarden

I don't think I have any 15 amp sockets. Would ones that work with 10 amp sockets be able to burn 3.2mm rods? Would I be at a disadvantage for using 2.5 mm instead? Thanks for all the replies.

Hey

Written earlier, please disregard.

(I have a 15 amp Adapter. A short length of cord with a 10 amp male plug and a 15 amp female plug. You can get the plugs from any hardware shop and just follow the wiring instructions. The only difference is that the earth Pin/blade is wider. About 10mm instead of 5mm.
)

I am editing this after actually doing some research. I DID do this at home, Not anymore.
Mick
chadwarden

Wiring instructions? What would those include? Also, wouldn't this burn my house down? Would it be safe to weld with 130-150 amps for hours using the 15 amp adapter?

Hey,

I (Strangely) Did some research after reading your reply. (Please see my edited post)

That is what I have done at home in the past, but I will now be seeking professional help. (maybe a psychologist as well as a sparky.)

You are back to square one Im affaid. Sorry to have led you up the garden path...

Mick
<
Drowstiq
    Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:12 pm

This is a welder I bought off of ebay - very cheap and gets the job done.
110 volts goes up to 160 amps 220 volt goes up to 200 amps.
I burn 2.5mm and 3.2mm on it every day and it can do 4.0 mm without a problem.
3.2 mm it is at %30 and 2.5 it is at %50 efficincy.

Here is the ebay link - like I said very cheep :D :D :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-AMP-ARC-Wel ... 3622wt_932
Hope it helps I give it a thumbs up - Peter.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Drowstiq.

Did the welding machine do okay with 1/8" diameter low hydrogen (example: 7018) and cellulose (example: 6010) rods?

Tanks.
Alexa
chadwarden

That's nice and all but I live in Australia and am looking for a decent stick welder that can fit in a 10 amp socket (the most common Australian household socket). Is the Lincoln Electric Procraft 130 any good? Will it be able to burn 1/8 7018s at 120 amps pretty well?
Drowstiq

Alexa wrote:Drowstiq.

Did the welding machine do okay with 1/8" diameter low hydrogen (example: 7018) and cellulose (example: 6010) rods?

Tanks.
Alexa
I have burned 10 lbs of (lincoln rods) E6011 and 5 lbs of E7018 and no problems.
did just the same as my friends 225 aMP DC (forgot the brand name)

how many wires dose a 10 amp socket have?
the basic consept cant be to diffrent from a USA 3 prong wire.
On my welder I have a 50 foot cord (heavy duty wire) and I just used a extension cord and spliced the wires.(going to electric soder it eventually)

Peter.
Drowstiq

*** I googled what a 10 amp socket looks like and it says there are 3 types (1-2 prong and 2-3 prong) and if you are using the 3 prong version it should have the same set up as a us 110 volt 3 prong plug (shouldent it?)

Peter.

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/reference ... riants.htm
chadwarden

There are two types of 3 pronged sockets in Australia and they look almost exactly the same with one difference. The bottom pin for the 15 amp socket is 5mm bigger than the one for the 10 amp socket. I only have 10 amp sockets so welders that require 15 amp sockets are out of the questions. What are your thoughts on the Lincoln Electric Procraft 130?
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Get a good Dc machine. The Miller Thunderbolt is nice, but I'd give that Everlast 160 a real strong look. It's compact and as has awesome TIG capability for less than $500.
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set

Give these guys a call. They are in your area and might be able to help you.
http://www.everlastwelds.com.au/welders ... actus.html
chadwarden wrote:My school is for the most part using 6013s so I'm thinking of buying a 130 amp single phase stick welder. Can any of you guys can suggest a reasonably priced single phased stick welder that can burn 1/8 rods (3.2mm) pretty well. By the way, I live in Australia.

Hey,

just remembered that everlast offer a student discount.

Mick

You're right Mick, I didn't know that, but it's in print on their web page.
http://www.everlastwelds.com.au/welders/?pid=Home
weldin mike 27 wrote:Hey, just remembered that everlast offer a student discount. Mick

Hey,

Sure is, may not be worth much but its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick..... ;)

Mick
chadwarden

If the 10 amp welders can't handle 3.2mm rods, would I be at a disadvantage by practicing with 2.5mm? If so, how much of a disadvantage?
zjtins
    Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 am

115 seems to be only good for small project not hours.

I am a Jeeper and we have community with all kinds of mods we make. At least from that perspective a cheap 115 welder is well cheap. Hard to control to get a good weld, not enough power for much past 1/8 to 1/8 . Most come with 15% duty cycle. At least find one with auto shut off when hot. I had a few friends lose their money when they went to long, killed the welder and the warranty wasn't.

I went on Craigslist and found a 1938 Marquette a beast @300 lbs, all copper.
Dont know the market in Australia but at least try. In the states many get rid of their older unit to upgrade. I highly recommend a 220 v source. I put in a dedicated circuit and 32' of copper here for around $100. Most used units are 220v but some are dual source.

These guys might have better ideas but there was mine for consideration.