Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
rand18m
    Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Does anyone have experience stick welding with either of the 255 Everlast Powertig machines? I'm debating on buying one and I primarily stick weld. However I want to begin to learn tig welding and as I'm in need of replacing my old Airco machine I thought I would get something that does both.

I do not weld for a living and have a welding shop at my house where I take a on few large projects a year. Usually cook trailers and such so I need something to primarily run 6011 rod, which Everlast claims either will do, plus multiple other types of rod and some AC stick welding, which Everlast also claims in a phone call they will do.

Any feedback is appreciated and glad to join this forum. Look forward to using it more.

Thanks

Mark
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I don't do a lot of stick welding, but what I have done on my 255 EXT has been good. I'm sure that more time under the hood would make my welds even better.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

As I understand it the Everlasts sold intended to run cellulose rods have a separate port for this - though it's possible to have it as a menu option on the more complicated digi models - I believe Lanse has several videos of Everlast models & gives them a fair test including 6010 rod - I remember at least one where he commented how well it ran ( before he went up market & Fronius showered him in welders ! )
rand18m

Thanks for the replies.
I decided I'm going to grab a used cracker box machine or better for any higher amp or AC stick welding and focus on getting a tig machine that fits my needs. Any stick welding with it I'll view as a bonus and leave it at that. I'm working too hard to find the perfect machine at my price point and really I'm better off just getting an old workhorse stick machine and at the worst it will be a backup. Now I'm thinking about possibly the 200amp range for a tig welder. Lot's of options there.

Thanks again!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

rand18m wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I decided I'm going to grab a used cracker box machine or better for any higher amp or AC stick welding and focus on getting a tig machine that fits my needs. Any stick welding with it I'll view as a bonus and leave it at that. I'm working too hard to find the perfect machine at my price point and really I'm better off just getting an old workhorse stick machine and at the worst it will be a backup. Now I'm thinking about possibly the 200amp range for a tig welder. Lot's of options there.

Thanks again!
I’ve got an old Dynasty that will run AC or DC Stick rods almost as well as the PipePro I frequently use. Don’t underestimate a quality TIG box’s ability to be a great Stick welder. There should be no reason to own separate boxes for these functions if you buy a good one.
rand18m

I ended up ordering an Everlast 255ext. I have a Airco 300amp Heliarc and also found a deal on a Thunderbolt XL. The Everlast will not run AC stick but I don't need it very often and when I do I'll use the Thunderbolt. For everything else I feel sure I'll use the 255 stick wise and should I take the tig work past the beginner stage I have more than enough to grow into. As far as the Airco goes I'll sell it when I'm confident the others work as they should. I've used that Airco machine for a couple of decades and it's time to upgrade and get something new.

Thanks for the help!

MR