Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

Don't know much on Acetylene but when traveling is there a certain amount of time you can have it on its side or does it have to be upright the whole time??
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

From what I've heard, Acetylene after laying down, needs to stand for an hour or so, so the acetone gets to the bottom.

I rarely lay them down, except when there empty, ready to go back to the LWS.

I have big bottles standing in the corner, and 80cufters on a little roll around cart.

I strap them to the headache rack on the truck, when I go out to the field.

My 2cents....

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here is what these guys say on the subject:
http://www.ehss.vt.edu/programs/CGC_cylinders.php

A short version:
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.45 KiB) Viewed 1552 times

Our government disagrees:
http://www.msha.gov/alerts/hazardsoface ... 00P7su9KSM
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
BigJohn
    Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:14 pm

I bought a new small torch outfit once. Dont know what they are officially called but it was one of the really small rigs that you can carry around in one hand. Anyway, when the salesman delivered it, he had it laying down in the trunk of his car. When I turned on the Acetylene, it spit acetone out the tip. It lit off fine and worked great but the next day, it was all but impossible to turn the knobs back on. The acetone had swelled the o-rings up and it was unusable. He replaced it and the new one is still working great. Since then I always transport Acetylene bottles standing up. No matter what size they are. YMMV

BJ