Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
    Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:27 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:By the way, when the time comes that you have to weld gal, mig does a good job as does stick. Some companies use silicon bronze mig wire, as it uses less heat and melts of less of the coating.
I have welded my fair share of galvanised beams. Also galvanised pipe to make gates. Just grind the edges clean and any decent stick welder can weld it. Make sure you put enough Amps into it. I prefer to weld it outside for some reason.... :roll:
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

yes i have been the victim of galvanized welding inside years ago.
not going to happen ever again
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I use flux core wire (Lincoln NR 211) when I use MIG to weld on galvanize material & 6011 when I use stick. Use a approved respirator when welding galvanized material in a well ventilated area. This stuff can you you sick!
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Back in high school the teachers told us to drink milk if we got galvi sick lol. And put wet tea bags on our eyes if we got flashed.
I used to weld for a fence company and welded a ton of galvanized pipe. Exhaust fan and respirator and don't put your face over the plume and I could do it 12hrs a day no problem.
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Toxic is not extreme, come w/ me and I will show you the grave of a friend that died of heavy metal poisoning from welding galvanized,
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey, I'm the perfect example of perfect health :lol: ;) , I've welded plenty of galv. Seriously, If it's strut we're talking about, clean the outside with a bristle disc, it's easy to see when it's gone. Trouble is, you can't clean inside. Good ventilation, keep your head out of the smoke, With stick, use a fan 10 feet away.

To hurry the learning process with stick, prep the steel. Once you can do all the joints on 3/8' steel, then move thinner. I got lazy a few days ago, after fixing a drawbar for a local farmer, I was set up. Wasting ten minutes, I stood up two 1/4 x 1-1/2 hot rolled side by side. With no prep, I gave them 3/32" gap, and went at a 14" long bead vertical up. 3/32 7018 should have been good. No prep, no bevel, it was a very irregular root. The cover pass wasn't something I'd brag about. With 37.5 x2 with 1/16 land clean, the result would have been much nicer.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Though I don't really feel the need to repeat myself, I will. I never, ever said it wasn't bad for you or a hazard. But people are just getting so worried about it. Know what it is, use correct procedures and PPE, and weld away. We are not talking about cyanide dimethyl sulfate here.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm