Metal cutting - oxyfuel cutting, plasma cutting, machining, grinding, and other preparatory work.
Joe_
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Hi,
Last year or the year before in one of the video's, Jody used a special wheel that was design specifically to remove the scale on hot rolled plate without leaving groves in the steel. It wasn't a flap wheel it was closer to a 3m deburring wheel in design. He was using it on a side head grinder.

At the time I went "wow that's cool" but when I checked the price and it was a little more than I could justify for the projects I had on hand.
Now I really need that wheel but can't for the life of me remember what it was called and my limited searches of the net have turned up nothing.

My nearest welding supplier is 60 miles away so I generally buy things online. However if you don't know what it is called your kind of out of luck ordering it.

If you know what that wheel is called and who makes it please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Joe
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Joe_
    Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

I'm not sure. I will try going back through some of the videos and see if I can find it.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Was it a Roloc[TRADE MARK SIGN] Bristle Disc?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

http://www.evertool.co.uk/images/AB146A.jpg I picked one of these up the other day at my local hardware store for $10 and it did great. It is a 3m paint remover wheel that has a 1/4" shank for a drill or air grinder. I do not like it in a drill so I chucked it in my air grinder and it did awesome. It is designed for removing paint but it also takes mill scale and rust off without removing metal like a flap disk. I just googled "3m paint remover wheel" and it popped up. I really like it.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That style works OK on smaller odd shapes - but the version that goes on a grinder seems easier to control on flat surfaces & benefits from the higher RPM - try " poly abrasive disc " as a search on Ebay - the Smith Arrow ones are better than most I've tried though like all of this type disc care need to be taken when close to an edge.

d6XnIg1yECQ
jdranchman
    Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 am

I've tried the Norton RapidStrip and Norton Blaze wheels - both are great. The Blaze is orange and more expensive so I only use it when the scale is really nasty. As said before, watch the edges with any of these types of wheels.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Try looking for the 3M Bristle disk... I think it's what Jody used.
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I have used these http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/se ... ean/Detail They work GREAT and the price is right. This company makes excellent flap disks and has a good selection of other disks and cut off wheels. I have no business relation with this company. Just a happy customer.

Ken

p.s. These are aggressive. I also have a few of their COARSE wheels but I have not tried one yet.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Old thread, I know. I want to caution that the poly abrasive discs such as Norton Blaze work fine for pre weld prep of aluminum. Do not use them when heavily worn. I suspect the adhesive used to bond the pad to the backer disc is contaminating the aluminum, interfering with a clean weld. I set worn disc aside for other uses.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Bill Beauregard wrote:Old thread, I know. I want to caution that the poly abrasive discs such as Norton Blaze work fine for pre weld prep of aluminum. Do not use them when heavily worn. I suspect the adhesive used to bond the pad to the backer disc is contaminating the aluminum, interfering with a clean weld. I set worn disc aside for other uses.
Bill,
That is very good advise!
-Jonathan
danielbuck
    Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm

taylorkh wrote:I have used these http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com/se ... ean/Detail They work GREAT and the price is right. This company makes excellent flap disks and has a good selection of other disks and cut off wheels. I have no business relation with this company. Just a happy customer.

Ken

p.s. These are aggressive. I also have a few of their COARSE wheels but I have not tried one yet.
Just ordered a few of those, thanks for the link! Looking forward to trying them :)