Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Even though I've already posted a question on the TIG forum, I should probably introduce myself here.

Teaching myself to TIG weld. I worked as an electronics engineer for 30 years, most of them in a scientific research company. Worked with and designed a lot of high vacuum equipment with lots of pretty stainless and aluminum machining and welding. Always admired it. Towards the end I started doing 3D CAD design for my own experiments and really enjoyed it. My electronics job was slowly killing me although I still enjoyed building things and solving problems.

I tried my hand at something completely different, dog training, for a couple years but it avoided what I was good at.. building things.

Father was a woodworker so I picked up those skills too. Have a MacGyver gene in me for sure. Can make lots of things out of wood but somethings just aren't meant to be wood (cars, bikes, etc.). :lol: I took a few one-night MIG classes at a local Makerspace on a lark. Enjoyed it. Got the bug and wanted to learn more. Bought a TIG and a plasma cutter, packed my handbasket, and headed off on a new adventure. (Gotta love a supportive wife!)

that's about it. practicing. making mistakes. lurking on the forums.
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Steve,

You're in good company... We have several members who got hooked on welding AFTER another career.

I got in to welding as a kid, just to not pay someone else to stuff I wanted done. I never viewed it as a career choice, and actually studied electronics in college. Welding was always in my bag of tricks when I needed to earn some money, though, and I eventually realized I enjoyed it.

Ironic, that your electronics career led you to high-vacuum systems which led you to welding. While studying electronics I realized my enjoyment of welding, and now work in high-vacuum systems. Always on the diagnostic and repair side, so my mind is as engaged as my hands. I could not have imagined this path if I'd tried in a pipe dream.

You'll find tons of great information here, and none of the drama that characterizes so many other forums of any type.

Steve S
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

This truly is ironic, I have my E.E. too. Worked 30 years in communications. (wireless) Didn't get into welding until after that.

Broke something and just about crapped when the LWS told me how much they wanted to fix it. Went out and bought a tig welder that same day. :lol:

oh yeah, WELCOME aboard!
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

SmartDave
    Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

I also have my EE and work in network security. Welding is a hobby of mine

Sent from my SM-T715Y using Tapatalk
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
sru_tx
    Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:53 pm

Hey, thanks for all the warm welcomes. From what I've seen, it's a great group to learn from, knowledgable and welcoming.

Seems like there's a few EEs in the group. Wonder how that happened?

I have no idea what I'm going to build once I can stick pieces of metal together reliably, I'm sure a welding table and cart will be among the first item. I'm thinking it might be fun to pull in some of my other skills and interests after that for other projects. Furniture ideas, custom coffee roaster, bbq smoker, bicycles, or maybe even an electric bike/minibike/motorcycle/??

I'm pretty excited at what this new skill might bring.... but first back to the table to melt more rods and sharpen a LOT more tungstens.

later
Figuring out what I want to be when I grow up.

Better to be a "Learn it all" than a "Know it all"