Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I purchased my first welder about 2 years ago and have been working on learning by watching Welding Tips and Tricks videos, reading Forums, and practicing. I won't say I am a welder as there is still a lot of trail ahead of me to get to that outfit. I am just an out of the house (as opposed to outhouse) hobbyist who has come to enjoy burning metal. I am working on learning both MIG and TIG, primarily in Aluminum or is it Alumineum.

So far I have built a welding rack for my welders (who has not done that), put a custom bench / storage box in my Jon boat, raised the consoles on my Jon boat by welding 2" x 5" rectangular tubing under the original consoles, and put a custom splash well in my Jon boat. Current plans are to build an ATV Trailer, custom gas tanks for the Jon Boat and an 11' skiff. Probably need a little more practice before I start the airplane.

Thought I would try joining the conversation to tell some experiences, ask some questions and share some learning. Attached are a couple of pix of my latest project, please feel free to critique or suggest.

Cheers
Attachments
Some MIG Welding on the box structure
Some MIG Welding on the box structure
Boatbox15.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 911 times
The boat box without the top
The boat box without the top
Boatbox5.jpg (147.29 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Some TIG Welding
Some TIG Welding
Boatbox1.jpg (128.71 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Some more TIG Welding
Some more TIG Welding
Boatbox14.jpg (163.29 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Final Boat Bench / Storage Box
Final Boat Bench / Storage Box
Boatbox9.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Shipj0,

I'd say your fabrication skills are excellent, and your aluminum welding skills are well above what the experience you quoted suggests. You're definitely on the right path.

You've found an excellent resource, here. Every craft and trade imaginable, at every skill level, and no BS. Every question is treated with the same respect, whether advanced metallurgy or "I plugged it in. Now what?"

If you intend to participate regularly, it will be more comfortable for everyone if you'll sign with a first name or nickname. It creates familiarity, and helps the forum feel like a group of friends.

Steve S

Thanks for the good words and advise.

Jim
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Nice work! From my experience, and this is only what I have encountered, the biggest problem self-taught noobs have with aluminum is that they don't weld with the heat turned up enough. They have enough volts to do a good looking weld that sort of holds, but will easily break.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200

Boomer63 wrote:Nice work! From my experience, and this is only what I have encountered, the biggest problem self-taught noobs have with aluminum is that they don't weld with the heat turned up enough. They have enough volts to do a good looking weld that sort of holds, but will easily break.
Boomer63,
Thanks for the guidance. I struggle with that a lot, weld cold or burn through, the balance is difficult. With MIG, I am really bad, looks like a big old hairy brown caterpillar on one end of the weld crawling towards the hole on the other. I just can't seem to get to the right place for any long welds. One thing with TIG I will claim to be an expert at though is dipping tungsten in to the weld, I could give a class on that. Also getting pretty good at sharpening Tungsten. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Jim
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

BTW, Jim,

Boomer63 is Gary.

The regulars get so familiar, we forget to sign our posts from time to time...

Steve S
Boomer63

Shipj) - Thank you for your posts! I have to tell you, I will put my stick welding on structural or pipe up against anyone, and I am very, very confident in my TIG skills; but I do struggle with wire. I mean, I can do it! Carbon, aluminum and stainless! Production, various gas mixes, hard wire, inner shield, dual shield, pulse, short arc, spray transfer etc. etc. etc! I just don't like it. Wait, I mean I love it for fabrication work that I do, and if I could only have one welder it would be my blue 252. It is difficult to explain, I guess I might say I just don't respect it as much as I do the other processes.

I don't even know if any of this makes sense! But if you have the basic TIG skills, the cross over to the wire feed side is fairly easy.

Thanks!
Gary

Boomer63 wrote:I don't even know if any of this makes sense!
Too funny, It makes perfect sense actually. Nice to know that you like the Miller 252. I have looked at that machine as an upgrade possibility somewhere down the road. I'll post some MIG stuff later, maybe there are folks out there who can learn from my mistakes. I could write a book on mistakes if I just knew what I don't know.
Jim
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
Boomer63

shipj0 wrote:
Boomer63 wrote:I don't even know if any of this makes sense!
Too funny, It makes perfect sense actually. Nice to know that you like the Miller 252. I have looked at that machine as an upgrade possibility somewhere down the road. I'll post some MIG stuff later, maybe there are folks out there who can learn from my mistakes. I could write a book on mistakes if I just knew what I don't know.
Jim
I tell the students, and have been telling this for years, that the difference between a noob and a ten year man is the noob don't know what he don't know. Sounds almost like something Yoggi Berra would say!!??