Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
Mavereq
    Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:58 pm

Hello, I'm a novice self-taught metal fabricator that just retired from the army. Most of my experience is with MIG, but I just picked up a Thermaldyne LM-300 and am trying to decide on a TIG torch for it. I do a lot of roll cage, bumper, and suspension work for off-road rigs and want to practice on TIG for stainless exhaust, chromoly tubing, and stainless tanks. I look forward to learning from everyone here. Jody's videos have been a huge help so far.

Daryl
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Daryl welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Daryl,
Welcome to the forum.

I like the smaller water cooled torches if I have the option over a gas cooled torch. There are plenty of options in either water or gas cooled when it comes to torches. Torches or the one area that most folks would agree that the smaller the torch is, the better. I would say with the type of work you listed you could go with a 150 amp gas cooled torch (17 series) or if you have a water cooler you would choose a 200 amp torch (18/20 series). Both types have their pros and cons.

If you plan on doing a lot of tubing work on roll cages and such, I would opt for the CK Flex-lock or the Tec Weld Roto-Head. Check them out online as well as Jody has videos using both models I believe.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Mavereq

Awesome info. Thank you.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome Mavereq! As practice for TIG stainless, I have my students practice on thin wall (16 gauge) carbon steel tube. I take a tube, cut it into 2" lengths and then have them weld it back together in 2G, 5G and 6G position. Then, after it is welded back together, we can cut it up again, between the welds. This is a great exercise to get used to handling the TIG torch with a light, delicate touch. I do this just because stainless tube is so darn expensive! We do practice on 'real' 309 stainless, but for every day practice, this is great. It teaches skill and finesse, something that any TIG welder needs.
Mavereq

Boomer63 wrote:Welcome Mavereq! As practice for TIG stainless, I have my students practice on thin wall (16 gauge) carbon steel tube. I take a tube, cut it into 2" lengths and then have them weld it back together in 2G, 5G and 6G position. Then, after it is welded back together, we can cut it up again, between the welds. This is a great exercise to get used to handling the TIG torch with a light, delicate touch. I do this just because stainless tube is so darn expensive! We do practice on 'real' 309 stainless, but for every day practice, this is great. It teaches skill and finesse, something that any TIG welder needs.
I started practicing with some really short sections of leftover tubes. So far, I've just been working on 90 degree joints, but I'm going to start adding in some 45's when I get a little better. Work and a one year old kid have kept me from being able to practice as much as i'd like, but work is slowing down now that it's freezing.
Mavereq

I just picked up a Lincoln square wave 200. So far, I really like it. The hf start is nice. I need lots of practice.