Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
LHYAMS3
    Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

Folks, I am applying for a marketing position with a leading Gas and Supply company. Good marketing managers listen to the customer so I'm doing my research and getting ready for another round of interviews. I'd like to ask for your opinions on companies like Gas & Supply, Air Liquide, and AirGas. What do you look for? Who do you think is setting the standard? What really wins you over? Many thanks in advance.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, LHYAMS3,

A first name, or nickname, would help...

When you say "leading" supplier, that does narrow it down. I find the big companies with signs out front with national brands tend to focus on their commercial/industrial customers, and neglect the individual, whether hobbyist, professional artist, or even professional rig welder. I also find, even on comm/ind accounts, a tendency to have a "virtual" warehouse, rather than an actual one. I am nauseated by continually waiting on "shipping" for a part a reputable supplier should have in stock.

You may have opened a can of worms, here, my friend, as many have echoed this sentiment. You may find your "leading" supplier has forgotten that the two most vital components of customer service are the customer, and the service.

Best of luck to you!

Steve S
LHYAMS3
    Tue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:Welcome, LHYAMS3,

A first name, or nickname, would help...

When you say "leading" supplier, that does narrow it down. I find the big companies with signs out front with national brands tend to focus on their commercial/industrial customers, and neglect the individual, whether hobbyist, professional artist, or even professional rig welder. I also find, even on comm/ind accounts, a tendency to have a "virtual" warehouse, rather than an actual one. I am nauseated by continually waiting on "shipping" for a part a reputable supplier should have in stock.

You may have opened a can of worms, here, my friend, as many have echoed this sentiment. You may find your "leading" supplier has forgotten that the two most vital components of customer service are the customer, and the service.

Best of luck to you!

Steve S
Thanks Steve. My name is Louis and I've posted this question on several forums and got really good feedback. I've learned more from you guys than if I spent a month in the field.

Welcome, Louis,

I'm glad you asked here.

I'm familiar with many of the larger providers, because I work on their transport trailers. Vacuum issues are my main focus, but I also do much piping work, pump work, and code repairs to their vessels.

I'm frustrated that our local weld suppliers cannot keep a reasonable stock of consumables. All they seem to stock is gas, and overpriced AD hoods. They sell junk and Kitch, but not the stuff we need at work.

An LWS should hold a good stock of every common consumable. Every common grinding/cutting accessory. All common weld rods should be in stock. If the shop 500 yards up the road (US!) has five 250DXs, keep a water-cooled WP20 or two in stock. Serve your customers, not your shareholders, and your shareholders will be happier.

Steve S

Yes, Louis,

We are 500 yards from our primary LWS, and CAN'T get stuff "today".

That's a problem.

Steve S
BWR
  • BWR
    Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Welcome to the form, I also agree with Otto and one thing I find really funny is one of our local dealers have a brand new millermatic 252 on the show room floor and have absolutely nothing for it. Also what got me is this dealer is surrounded by coal mines, paper mills, and power plants and they don't keep one single tig rig, power block, regulator or even consumables for a rig in stock. And worst of all with all the coal mines around they don't keep ANY hard facing rods or nickel rods in stock and when you need them there a week out. How can you be a welding supply dealer when you don't stock the need materials to support the industry's around you.
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

Wow, sucks to be you guys. I have an AWESOME LWS 15 min down to road. Rarely do they have what I need NOT in stock. Consumables for everything, rod, wire, accessories, gear. Mahany Welding Supply! [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask