Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
migmonkey
    Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 am

Hi guys and gals.
Pretty new to welding.
Never went to school for welding.
Prior to getting into blue collar work I was a white collar paper pusher at a law firm.

"Learned" some MIG at work, when I took a weld test and was accepted into welder training through the company.
Mostly flat mild steel with some downhill. I was building truck under structures using a pneumatic jig;
1.Look at order.
2Throw down two long sills or c channels, cut to size based on order. Either with oxy-acetelene, plasma cutter or angle grinder. The plasma cutter was nice, but the millwright was a bit overprotective of it. So it was mostly oxy and the grinder.
3.Throw on pre-fabricated i beams with welded end caps.
4. Pressurize the jig.
5. Hammer the sills into place so the jig closes up nice and tight.
6. Weld!, like your life depends on it. And yes the warpage, if you welded the thing from one side to the other without skipping sills or sections the whole understructure would curl up like a banana. The boss would be pizzed. The flooring guys would be pizzed cause they would be fighting with the thing all morning. Fun stuff. All in all 4 months of real 10 hour days welding experience.

Got layed off recently, but also got into the 353 IBEW for 309A electrician apprentice. So I'm pretty happy :D
So I'm kinda at a crossroads. The union may not call for a while so I want to do something productive in the interim.

Most welding places want 2,3-10 years experience to weld widgets for 11$ an hour. That's minimum wage in Toronto.
Security makes 14$ to get sauced and sit around on your fat azz. I applied at a few places and they laughed at me for my four months of welding experience.

I found a place for "welder's helper" that's relatively close. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Toronto, Ontario from a guy in Toronto, Ohio! :-)
Check out my journey through welding school https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJWQmJ ... aTma2q31Qg