Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
RookieWelder
    Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 am

Hello, all!

I've been lurking a while and decided to finally sign up and say hello. I've recently decided to teach myself how to weld from a hobbyist's point of view. Wanting to learn to weld has been with me since my days in High School Metal Shop. I never could strike and hold an arc with a stick welder back then, despite trying over and over, managing to stick the electrode to the bit of steel I was hoping to lay a bead down onto. The Shop teacher finally suggested I go over by the forge and cast some more fishing sinkers...

I picked up some safety gear and a Harbor Freight MIG 170 welder - I figured that if I found out that metal working wasn't for me, I wouldn't have too much dough invested. So far, I've only used it with flux core wire, and I've been able to actually produce a couple of decent looking welds. I also managed to put this simple welding table together:
welding.table.JPG
welding.table.JPG (50.84 KiB) Viewed 333 times
It's not perfect, but it's getting the job done!

After I developed a bit of mastery with the small MIG welder, I picked up an Everlast PowerArc 200ST stick welder and 5 lbs of 6013 rods. I'm striking arcs and running beads on 1/4" plate, so I hope my fishing sinker casting days are behind me now.

Dwight
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard, Dwight,

We all start somewhere, and that welding table suggests you won't be casting sinkers here...

And, here, you can ask anything you want and get a serious answer.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Dwight welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200