Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
olcarguy
    Thu May 22, 2014 11:47 pm

I am a retired Millwright, but still manage to make a few bucks welding and fixing stuff in my home shop. My tig has never been very good as it was not required where I worked. I bought a Lincoln Square wave tig unit last year, I am very happy with it so far, no problems to report. Funny thing though is the torch that came with it is a miller unit? I didn't even know this until I tried to buy a low profile back cap. I kept getting the wrong thread and couldn't figure out why till I took the long cap
in for comparison. Salesman couldn't explain why I got the miller torch, but it works so I'm not complaining.

Anyway enough about me, I'm going to go read some more.
Last edited by olcarguy on Fri May 23, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

olcarguy,
Miller and Weldcraft are owned by the same company. Weldcraft is probably one of the most popular torches on the market, CK Worldwide being their biggest competitor.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Welcome to the forum! It is also possible that someone switched the torch from say a 17 to a 9. The 17 is a fine thread while the 9 is a course thread. Did you purchase the machine new or used? Get a pic of your torch up for more help.
-Jonathan
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum.
olcarguy

Here is a picture of my torch. It's a SR-17, The short cap on the left is what the supplier sold me as what was supposed to fit what came with my unit. You never know what you are going to get. The bag is what fits.
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG (92.19 KiB) Viewed 567 times
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”

The one on left is a 9 back cap. Did you buy the machine new?
-Jonathan
olcarguy

Yes....brand new in box from Linde. All the paper work seemed to be OK.....

Ok from the research I have done the square waves come with a 17 series torch. I believe the salesman sold you the wrong item the first time. At least not you know what you need.
-Jonathan
olcarguy

Very true sir. We can't all be smart donkeys. :D :D