Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
w2a
  • w2a
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I have been looking into getting a welder. I do NOT have much(any) experience and have never owned a welder but I have used a friends small Lincoln 125 wire feed welder a time or two. The results were not pretty but it was enough to get me interested. Came across this forum while browsing the internet and thought it would be a good place to learn some. I appreciate your patience and also the accumulated wisdom of the participating members here.

As for myself, I am 58 years old and I have worked as an electronic technician for 40+ years, the last 10 years doing administrative work mostly. I like to think of myself as a general handyman and do wood working and amateur radio in my spare time.
My plan is to get a MIG welder and learn to do some welding, maybe take a class or two here locally at the community college nearby.

Craig
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

welcome to the forum.
jody has some very good videos
on understanding and using MIG
welders. check them out.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Craig, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
w2a
  • w2a

motox wrote:welcome to the forum.
jody has some very good videos
on understanding and using MIG
welders. check them out.
craig
Thanks motox. I will definitely check out Jody's videos.
w2a
  • w2a

Mike wrote:Craig, welcome to the forum.

Thanks Mike
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Welcome to the forum Craig.

Kym
w2a
  • w2a

MosquitoMoto wrote:Welcome to the forum Craig.

Kym

Thanks Kym
rob
  • rob
    Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:01 am

Hi All ,
Like Craig , I'm so new to welding that I'll be needing all the help you can give me .
I haven't welded since high school . Loved it , but only got less then a 10 min. intro into welding. So lets assume ( and it's not to far from the truth Ha , ha ) I'll be needing the , "Welding for dummies" book . Most likely the best I'll need to be is at the hobbyist level . Starting by making out door lawn art out of steel sheet metal and copper . Then move up to car sheet metal fab. And lastly doing car frame repairs.
#1 From what I read ( and I know it will take a bit more practice to get it down )TIG welding should fill the above needs.
#2 To stretch my limited hobby budget , is the Lotos 3-1 unit the way to go ? It's a 50 amp Plasma cutter , a 200 amp TIG welder AND a Stick welder ( All this for $600.00 ).
But others seem to be saying : I should save up and get "Two good units , from Lincoin or miller . But we are talking $850 - $1,000 + , for a good TIG and Plasma units . Feels like over kill for a hobbyist .
Your advise ... PLEASE.
Many thanks all.
Rob