Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
dnair
    Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:58 am

Hello,

I am in a fix and i would like you guys to help me out to fix this issue. One of staff did poke an Aluminum can containing slightly fire hazard liquid (perfumery compound, not containing alcohol) while packing the outer crate. It pierced it though the side of the bottle can. I cant open the bottle can as it has a one time seal. We have kept the bottle can side wise to avoid the leak. I need to fix this ASAP and send the shipment on board. Is there any workable sealant? or any other idea to fix?

Regards
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey. I don't think welding is the answer. Combined with the flammability of your product and the fact that if you heat the cylinder (besides catching fire/exploding) the contents will expand and force their way out through the weld metal during repair. Think "path of least resistance " that is what the molten weld zone will be. I don't think it's an option.

However, there are various types of chemical sealants, epoxies and what not that might work. Like JB weld, liquid metal, and we have a product in AUS called "knead it" which is a two part putty that bonds to metal. Just make sure what ever product you choose is compatible with aluminium.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Why not put the contents in another container?

Contact the owner?

How many gallons? Size of container? Thickness of the wall?

Are you trying to pass the buck so it looks like it got punctured after it left your packing area?
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
dnair

Hello Guys,

Thank you for the advice, I have done the wisest thing to do to inform the client who has taken the package back to change. Please note there was no intention to cheat, :).

Though the problem is solved, I would like to get know what could be a possible solution. The one solution which caught my attention was to rivet it with aircraft fuel sealant. (dont know where to get it though).

Sample bottle pic attached.

Cheers
Attachments
bottle can.jpg
bottle can.jpg (55.75 KiB) Viewed 883 times
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That looks like it might be a small "Dewar" flask, which would have an inner container holding the product, and an outer container holding insulation between the two.

If (big if!) this is the case, a weld repair would have been possible, if tricky.

Welcome to our community!

Steve S.
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

You probably could use something from www.northsearesins.com/ . They have products to seal a leak that are cured with blue light. It's somewhat like the resin the dentist uses that is cured in a similar fashion.
dnair

Thank you guys for all your advice!! Cheers!