Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
c9crewchief
    Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi All.

I am in my second quarter of welding school and we just started tig welding and I LOVE IT! I really want my own machine for home and have done some research and have narrowed it down to Everlast or Thermal Arc (nice price) but I would appreciate any and all advice on equipment. My budget is around 2000$ and I would like a machine that's TIG only, AC/DC and I can set pre-post flow, has a pulse feature, can set my cleaning/penetration for aluminum, change torches out and be able to add a cooler in the future. Im not that worried about a 2T/4T settings. Thank you very much and im looking fwd to the response.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome, C9CrewChief!

I've heard/read a lot of members on the Everlast forum speak well of the 200DX, which has all the features you're looking for. It also comes in a dual voltage version. The 200DX is analog; the 210EXT is digital and dual voltage too. I've only used the 210EXT and I've been happy with it; never used the 200DX.

As a student you may want to learn about 2T/4T, especially if you'll be looking for work as a welder!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

What are you welding that you need, want pulse? I have been running the AHP 200X recently. I am really impressed for $800. It doesn't have pre flow adjustment, pulse is only slow speed. But other than that, none machine. Did you look at HTP?
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
c9crewchief

Artie F. Emm wrote:Welcome, C9CrewChief!

I've heard/read a lot of members on the Everlast forum speak well of the 200DX, which has all the features you're looking for. It also comes in a dual voltage version. The 200DX is analog; the 210EXT is digital and dual voltage too. I've only used the 210EXT and I've been happy with it; never used the 200DX.

As a student you may want to learn about 2T/4T, especially if you'll be looking for work as a welder!

Thanks for the advice. I am looking at the 210EXT now. I started with the 250EX because of the high amp output but am really liking the features of the 210. Also the 250EX only comes with a water cooled torch and im not ready for that at home just yet but the 2T4T is a must now that you mention it. my only drawback to everlast is the bad reviews about everything but the main unit. Any thoughts?
c9crewchief

soutthpaw wrote:What are you welding that you need, want pulse? I have been running the AHP 200X recently. I am really impressed for $800. It doesn't have pre flow adjustment, pulse is only slow speed. But other than that, none machine. Did you look at HTP?

I need the pulse for thin aluminum and stainless. After speaking to all of my instructors and some people on several other forums I finally come to the conclusion that if I can afford it now im going to buy the one I want so I don't have to purchase a bigger unit later. I think I have narrowed it down to the 210ext or the 250ex. The only thing that worries me is the bad reviews on all the accessories that com with all everlast machines. The main unit is getting excellent reviews but the little stuff is not. I just don't want to dump another couple hundred a month later on new torches and a pedal.

Thanks for the advice
soutthpaw

I'd get as many amps as you can afford. You want high speed pulse for stainless. The accessories are really a preference thing, I am fine with the pedal and torch on my Everlast 185. You are going to need a water cooled torch anyway if you plan on doing a lot above 150amps.. to create a price point they skimp on the accessories. Just plan on getting a weldcraft/ck etc torch with your cooler.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

My opinion.
Buy your welder "bare machine."
Piece together your own accessories. Pedal, torch, regulator, ground, etc.
The stuff Everlast includes with there tig machines is junk.
You'll save money in the long haul.

Trust me, I've used a couple.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

c9cc,
I'm with AK on this, order a 250EX and water cooler without any other accessories from Everlast and then buy a CK 230 300A 2 series torch from Weldfabulous and a SSC pedal right from them off Ebay, go to your local welding supply and buy a decent ball type flow meter and you'll be golden. I've dealt with Oleg at Everlast and have had good service, bought the 250EX for GreinTime and now a PowerPlasma 80 for Hindsight2020. He's easy to bargain with, within reason on price and shipping.

Sam has had a few minor issues with the Everlast pedal and the torch is just ok at best.

Then order your 9/20 consumables kit from Jody and your all set.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
soutthpaw

EBay is a great place to buy your flowmeter. I see Victor, Smith, Harris etc for under $50 the time. These are 2-300 flowmeters. I didn't know Everlast offered bare bones machines, but if they do, that's the way to go.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

I love my 250ex, and as everyone else has said, the accessories are subpar at best given the quality of the machine. The only issue I had with the water cooler was that one of the connections inside had come loose and sprayed water out for a few seconds, but other than that the whole system works great. The regulator they provide is junk, and the import pedal works good as long as everything is tight and aligned correctly inside. The torch works for what it is, but it's nothing special, it's a knockoff WeldCraft WP20F
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
c9crewchief

AKweldshop wrote:My opinion.

Thank you AK. I ordered a 210 EXT yesterday directly from everlast. I searched all day and couldn't find the machine I wanted in stock anywhere so I called direct. All the ports on the west coast have been in a slow down due to union stuff and ships have been anchored up for weeks waiting to offload. Everyone I spoke with was extreamly helpful and answered every question I had, I was a bit surpised. I had read of the poor customer service on other forums. They gave me a GREAT deal on a 210EXT the only problem is I have to wait a couple weeks. besides that gives me time to wire up a new plug and get my screens and table together. with the discount he gave me I have no problem using the accessories until they crap out. All the other accessories are soon to come. what would you recommend for a cooler, torch, regulator, pedal, ground?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

c9crewchief wrote:
Thank you AK.
What would you recommend for a cooler, torch, regulator, pedal, ground?
The HTP torch, and regulator are really good.

Their cooler is good as well.

Give them a call, they'll hook you up with the right stuff.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO8y.u ... KI9UEXnz0-

SSC for the foot pedal....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
soutthpaw

c9crewchief wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:My opinion.

Thank you AK. I ordered a 210 EXT yesterday directly from everlast. I searched all day and couldn't find the machine I wanted in stock anywhere so I called direct. All the ports on the west coast have been in a slow down due to union stuff and ships have been anchored up for weeks waiting to offload. Everyone I spoke with was extreamly helpful and answered every question I had, I was a bit surpised. I had read of the poor customer service on other forums. They gave me a GREAT deal on a 210EXT the only problem is I have to wait a couple weeks. besides that gives me time to wire up a new plug and get my screens and table together. with the discount he gave me I have no problem using the accessories until they crap out. All the other accessories are soon to come. what would you recommend for a cooler, torch, regulator, pedal, ground?
Yeah the dock strike is really starting to taje it's toll and it's not even a strike yet, just a slow down. B1tches are getting $26-50 hr already. Something like 40+ freighters anchored of each port waiting to unload.
Agree with the SSC foot pedal. But don't order anything till you try the one that comes with it. My 185 works great and very smooth and linear current change throughout the range. Tested that with inductive ammeter. Weldcraft and CK make good torches.
Everlast had improved customer service and products a lot the last few years.