Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
mallcrawlr
    Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Hello everybody. Im new to this forum. Been lurking around and watching the videos for a couple months now. So, I decided to join. I work maintenance at a pork processing plant here in NW Missouri. So, that gives me ample oppritunity to hone in on my stainless TIG skills. I weld anything from 18 guage, up to 1/2 inch on a nightly basis there. I may have to sneak in a few pics of my work soon. Anyways, hello. And im looking foward to becoming an active member here.
mallcrawlr

Ok, here is some 3in sanitary tubing that i cut n welded for a drain on a machine at work. I used a maxstar 200 with the foot pedal pulse method.
Attachments
IMG_20120814_011206.jpg
IMG_20120814_011206.jpg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 837 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome to the forum....
Looks good, what were your settings???
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome to the show!

That's slick work, especially for a drain. It's on par with the best I've seen, from welders who have the maintenance contract with Hershey Foods, in PA.

You may find yourself offering more advice than you receive! ;)

As always, we're pleased to add knowledge and skill here. While there are experts here in their particular areas and ranges of experience, the forum as a whole is becoming an "expert welding resource" we're quite proud of. Everyone here, from the guy who just bought his first machine to the retiree, learns a little something from each other in the most polite welding forum I've ever encountered

Steve S
mallcrawlr

As far as settings, well, that picture is close to a year and a half old. So, i cant remember them exactly. But, id say i was close to 70 on the dial. Using maybe 80% of the pedal. Now, i use a 200 Maxstar that has the pulser feature. To me, thats a night and day difference. I absolutely love those machines. They are perfect for a maintenance type job because of thier small size and portability.
Hopefully, I can be able to give out some good advise. I know that there are some people on this forum that i will need pointers from as well. Im basically a self taught welder that has obsessivly read about stainless steel. And welding in general. Ive been getting paid to weld, mostly heavy dual shield wire fed, for close to 10 years. TIG welding is only 3.5 years for me. So, I know I have a lot to learn.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Your at the right place....
Us guys love to share our experience and tips....
Great to have you aboard!!!!

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

mallcrawlr,

Welcome to the forum! I also believe you have a lot to share with us. Looks really good.
-Jonathan
paul_s
    Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm

Welcome to the forum. You have some great looking welds. I'm just getting started and would like to be able to weld stainless steel like that. I'm waiting to get my metal.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Very Nice, do you mind sharing some settings from the Maxstar? I also use a 200DX and have been playing with the pulse on our sanitary stuff, I work in a food plant as well ;)

Nice tuff above, I to have become obsessed with stainless, a lot of 316 and Tri-Clover fittings in my daily stuff.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum mallcrawlr.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
mallcrawlr

Rick, I usually set the machine at around 60-70 amps. I pulse with the foot pedal, being careful not to have it maxed out (full power) any longer than it needs to be. Usually just a quarter of a second. Thats just a guess though. I back off the pedal to maybe half. Then move foward a little. I use a 17 series CK flex torch. 1/16 Thoriated tungsten, gas lens, and a #8 cup. Running around 12-15 cfh on my flowmeter.
Fitup is where I get critical. I didnt use filler. Unless i had to. But, there wasnt any gaps anywhere. I tell people all the time that a good TIG welder should almost be like a doctor with a scalpel when using a grinder. All those pieces I cut with a 4.5 inch grinder and a cut off wheel.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks, I was back doing some testing with 1.5" .065" wall 316 on our 350LX Syncrowave tonight, WP20 torch. I was running 42amps 15 on flow meter, 1/16" gas lens, 2% thoriated with a #8 cup and getting good full pen, with just a steady weld. I then turned on the pulse 85 amps, 35% background and 40% peak, 10pps and didn't get through. I'm going to fire up the Maxstar tomorrow and see what I can do. I find the inverter machine and the higher pulse rate to really help.

Your right, fit up is everything when it autogenus....Ill report back with my findings ;)
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Hello and welcome along :)

I like to use slow pulse or walk the cup technique for diameter of over 30 mm stainless pipe. Under that diameter I mostly prefer high speed pulse (around 50 Hz), works well on thin and thick stuff imo.
-Markus-