Welcome to the community! Tell us about yourself, your welding interests, skills, specialties, equipment, etc.
JKR
  • JKR
    Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

In the past year, I've watched 90% of Jody's videos, bought some TIG-fingers, join the FB page, and just scored a job alot like Jody's (welder/fabricator at machine shop). I've made a few clueless posts, but I'm hoping that I will be able to contribute and have some fun here.

I do alot of research online. The amount of information seems to have exploded rather than double or tripled. I'm glad that I have a work environment that will allow me to experiment with the things I learn online.

Long term goals include management/CWI or CWI/teaching welding, then start up a company of my own. Why do I want to be one of those unqualified managers that everyone hates because I'm a prime candidate for being unqualified management. I have a BA in Humanities. It's despicable, I know.

If money were not such a weighing factor in life, I'd be doing metal sculptures like coldhardart, browndogwelding, dirty smith, and others. Hopefully, things will continue to there positive progress over the next couple of years. I'd like to have a shop at home by the time I'm want to move on from this job. So may be I can still do it on the side as long as no one gets pregnant.

Big thanks so far to everyone who posts. This forum has helped shaped some of my planning.
Last edited by JKR on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations on the job!

Working where they give you some flexibility to try to improve/increase your skillset is a surprisingly rare blessing.

Having a solid set of goals doesn't hurt, either. ;)

A BA? AND a real job? What are the odds... :lol:

Steve S
JKR
  • JKR
    Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Tell me about it. Over the years, I've went from 7th grade to GED to BA to Welding Certs. It makes sense only when I look back or explain it aloud to someone. And my underlying plan is to walk straight through and out of the hell that is the rat race.

oh yeah, found this gem on tumblr