General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Hey yall im trying to figure out what the best website to buy consumables such as MIG wire, Tig Filler, Stick electrodes, etc... is. By best I mean cheapest! Thanks in advance for the input 8-)
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Well, as you know, cheapest generally ain't best, but I can relate.

Argon alone costs me so much where I live that I have to take short cuts here and there with things like consumables. Generally, this takes me to eBay, and I'm happy to report that in the vast majority of cases it's turned out just fine.

(I'm also convinced that the generic budget stuff sold by storefronts at a much higher price comes from the same factory!)

Online I buy tungsten electrodes, gas lenses, collets, torch heads, alumina cups and Tig filler rod, too. The only time it's ever gone wrong is once when I bought some 'no-name' 2% Lanthanated electrodes that just plain didn't work.

Riverweld is a name that I keep going back to. I see that away from eBay they have their own website, although I've always purchased via eBay. I've seen the Riverweld name pop up a few times on this forum, too.

One day I'll be in a position to be using the premium stuff by the great brand names, but for now I'm doing okay with the budget stuff. As a rule, it does the job just fine.

Kym
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

I've been buying tungsten on ebay, generally watching price, but balancing it against feedback, and not buying the ones that are short lengths (really, why would they offer 5-6" tungsten? If you need short tungsten, you usually need 1-2"...)

Filler metal I've been buying from the LWS, preferably the mom & pop small LWS when I can catch them open. I just can't justify buying online and paying the shipping for as little as I use at the moment.

Ceramics mostly online, but a few CK branded pieces at various LWS, just so I could compare and eliminate the potential that some problems were caused by junk consumables, rather than lousy technique.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Interesting what you say about buying filler online, Josh.

Here in Oz there's an online vendor that sells filler including little 500 gram packs with 'free' postage. (Yeah, I know, the cost is always built in somewhere, right?) However it's still very affordable.

It's good quality stuff, and buying the small, free post packs in various types and diameters means it's always affordable to be trying different things with filler. Certainly helped me get my head around some issues in the early days without having to buy a ton of filler I might not wind up liking/using.

Kym
thatoneguy

Ya I understand that you get what you pay for. What I meant was for example I like HTP and Hobart MIG wire, I was wondering what the cheapest websites where I could be the good stuff just for less. Moved away from my buddy that owned a welding shop and he gave me major hommie hookups in exchange for watching his kids and beer lol.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

I am honest with my LWS and show him my real on line cost with shipping,he always comes with in a buck or two. If not in stock he orders it. My dad taught me to support the local business or it won't be there when needed. Example coupla weeks ago needed filler and gas,couldn't make it by closing,no problem he just set it out. I am cash and carry just stopped in a few days later.
My opinion,my experiences, yours may vary.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
thatoneguy

Anybody else have recommendations? I think im gonna just keep lurking around on ebay and when I come across good deals jump on them.
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
ttreb4
    Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 am

thatoneguy wrote:Anybody else have recommendations? I think im gonna just keep lurking around on ebay and when I come across good deals jump on them.
I have used cyberweld.com and weldfabulous.com. Both have been great. I also support Jody and bought a few items that he has. My closest lws is 1.5 hours away so I tend to shop online. I do get my gas through the LWS and some of my consumables when I am changing out tanks.