General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
SteveM
    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:14 am

Hello Everybody

So a few weeks ago I walk into the local welding supply and there's the local ESAB rep standing there talking with the manager of the shop. They tell me about a really neat new MIG machine (The Rebel) that would help someone like me who doesen't weld very well, weld like a pro. I'm skeptical but I've been having some issues with my old Hobart so I'm a little interested. Now mind you I've no intention of buying a new welder. But since I don't really have anything that I have to do, I tell him "If you've got it with you, set it up and show me". So he gets it out and I get to play with it for a while. I really like the welder so I order one. Now I've never done any TIG welding and I'm intrigued. So I go onto the internet and I find this site and I watch a bunch of Jody's videos on TIG welding.

It didn't take long before I realized that this welder has shortcomings as a TIG welder. I continue watching the TIG videos and I see Jody is using a couple of the Everlast Welders. Now here's my dilemma, if I decide that I really like TIG, which welder would better fit my needs. Now I've been lurking here long enough that I know the first thing will I will be asked will be "What are you going to weld?" . I don't know, but I think at some point I'm going to want to learn to weld aluminum, so I'll need a machine with AC/DC and HF start.

I'm now thinking about the Everlast 250EX or the 256si that Jody is testing. Now finally comes the question, since I already have a plasma cutter, what would be the advantage of the 256 over the 250EX?

Thanks for you patience.
Steve
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Steve,

What a well thought-out question! You're going to fit in well here.

I have no experience with either Everlast machine you mentioned, so I won't advise you there, but I've had good success so far with the Everlast machine I do have. I've even done ASME coded welds with it in MIG mode.

There are several owners here who will likely share their experiences with you.

Steve S
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum Steve.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Nice to see new comers
2yrs with 250EX , more than satisfied.
First I ve heard of a 256si
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)