General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
GunsmokedBacon
    Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:35 pm

I have such respect for welding as a whole and I have not had such a fascination in anything nor a desire to master something in such a long time. However, I am greatly concerned about the health risks associated with welding as a career. Is it true that you can take all the precautions and safety measures in the world and still end up having all the hours of welding catch up to you? I'm saying even with adequate ventilation, a fan, extractor, and a respirator. Oh, I also have a history of asthma.

No, I'm not a wimp like I've been called on other forums for asking the same question. I don't give a shit about getting burned or the little inconveniences that the job entails. It's the long term respiratory, vision, and neurological damage that I'm concerned about. I think it would be foolish not to take such dangers into account when deciding on a career, especially given my history of asthma. Somethings are better left to be hobbies. I was looking into getting into pipefitting specifically.

By the way, I'm 20. I have the opportunity to go to college (I've done a semester and I'm holding a 4.0), but it's not for me. Nothing that I can study interests me. I've welded and loved it and would hate to give it up and not pursue it any further. What do you guys think? Do you have any regrets welding when it comes to its effects on your health?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's true that it's hazardous, but welders new to the trade today have the best science and protection available to them. The stories you hear about old dudes with cancer are the result of years of being young and tough (dumb) for years. Wear you ppe, follow prescribed precautions and you will be fine. Although I can't comment on the asthma.

Sent from my ZTE T83 using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

People who work behind a desk in an office still die from stuff like cancer and heart attacks. Most people don't live past 100. Might as well spend your days doing something that you enjoy and are intrigued by.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If you have lung problems already, most types of welding are going to cause you problems in my opinion.

I'm 45 and now have COPD. I've never smoked and only welded part-time. Also worked in concrete and some carpentry.

I say tig welding only if you are starting out with problems. Wear your mask religiously during all grinding operations.

Use fume extraction for stainless and aluminum work.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

If you like the welding process and what it all encompasses like metallurgy but are worried about the health risks with your known respiratory problems (quite a valid concern and not something to take lightly), then perhaps make use of the option to go to college and perhaps see if you can work towards getting a job in areas that use more 'technological' welding processes like submerged arc welding, electron-beam, laser welding, etc.

Operators and engineers in these processes are usually not exposed to the hazardous side of the process as it's often automated, but that doesn't mean less thought and care goes into the engineering side to make sure it works 'as intended'. Probably the opposite as the automation means that all tolerances and material prep has to be within spec at all time :lol:

Perhaps less 'hands-on' work and more on the engineering side, but these processes are used in pretty high-tech areas which can have their own attaction to work in as far as doing 'cool stuff' goes.

Bye, Arno.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

depending on where you live you daily environment could be more
hazards to your health.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Doing something you hate for a living is a prison sentence. Ask me how I know this.There is an old saying..." find something you love to do and you will never work a day in your life". The fact is none of us know when its time to check out and us older guys will tell you that life is short so I say get busy welding and enjoy your career! I am/was a carpenter by trade but I absolutely love working with metal and realized way to late that I should have persued welding BUT...would welding everyday make me hate it? I weld and fab out of my garage shop and I am a happy camper. Not making tons of money but I am doing something I really like. You have the latest tech for PPE so get busy!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
MTBob
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 pm

First, you are a smart guy. There are very few 20 year olds that can write as well as you can. That tells me a lot about you and your capabilities.
If you like metal work, why not pursue a degree in metallurgy, as one of the other posters mentioned. Perhaps get a minor (or major) in robotics that specializes in metal fabrication, that's a hot ticket today. To a large degree welding is fundamentally based on a knowledge of metallurgy.
Or, if you want a more hands on education, combine an engineering program with a technology program. That's what I did - got a degree in Mechanical Engineer Technology from Montana State University. Other colleges offer siimilar programs. After graduation I worked in power plant construction supervising turbine installations for GE - that included a lot of involvement in welding (I didn't make the welds, but supervised those that did - AND learned just what amazing craftsman a good welder can be. Some of the best craftsman in any trade are welders - I learned a LOT from those welders). Today there are all kinds of similar opportunities.
Consider that welding is but one element of metal working. Try to find some way to work with other complementary metal working technologies; lathe, mill, (including CNC technology) etc. Combining those capabilities with welding opens a whole world of possbilities.
As far as personal protection - that's a personal decision (though OSHA has a lot to say about it), to protect your eyes, ears, lungs, etc. There are a number of hood ventilation methods, face masks, ear protectors, fume extractors that will keep a person reasonably safe (at least as safe as walking the streets on any big city). Like one of the other posters said, life is a risk - use some comon sense about what can hurt you and you'll be OK. (The first thing I reach for in my shop is ear plugs - and then things to keep crap out of my eyes and lungs.)
Hope these suggestions help. Let us know your thoughts.
South Bend Lathe
Clausing Vertical Mill
Empire Blast Cabinet
And more than a life time of tools to learn how to use
GunsmokedBacon

Thank you for the informative replies everyone. I have two questions:

1. I know this is really shifting away from welding, but I have no one else to ask. I don't have family. But would you all say that it's better to depend on a college education for a career as opposed to learning a trade? See, what I was planning on doing was learning a trade and doing it in the meantime to get some money together before going to college (probably for mechanical engineering). I don't have any family to fall back on nor do I have parents to pay for my tuition (I lost them both), so I need to depend on myself to pave the way for my future education. I feel that a trade and college degree can supplement each other but I'm just concerned that I will get so caught up in working that I will never go back to school. I hear that it happens way too often to some.

Although I do think I am capable of earning a Mechanical Engineering degree, I am a bit worried that the math will screw me up. It's certainly not my strong point and I don't want to spend money going to college only to find out that it just isn't for me. I am a bit far behind in regards to my math education.

2. What equipment offers the best protection? Everything from masks to respirators. Price isn't really a concern.
GunsmokedBacon

MinnesotaDave wrote:If you have lung problems already, most types of welding are going to cause you problems in my opinion.

I'm 45 and now have COPD. I've never smoked and only welded part-time. Also worked in concrete and some carpentry.

I say tig welding only if you are starting out with problems. Wear your mask religiously during all grinding operations.

Do you think that the COPD is due to welding? If so, I'm assuming wearing the PPE didn't make a difference?
Thanks
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Your young your future is now. Bravo for considering what and how.
Old age has its advantages ,but not much future. ;)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

GunsmokedBacon wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:If you have lung problems already, most types of welding are going to cause you problems in my opinion.

Do you think that the COPD is due to welding? If so, I'm assuming wearing the PPE didn't make a difference?
Thanks
I don't have an answer for the cause of COPD, but I didn't wear masks for welding or grinding until my 30's.
A couple places I worked had zero ventilation - smoke and cutting/grinding dust would hang all day.

I'm better about it now (for obvious reasons) and would just recommend you think it through and use the proper gear.
Nothing wrong with living long and healthy :)

By the way, don't let math scare you out of an interesting career field - there is plenty of extra help available at most colleges.
I went to school in my 30's and got a math degree - I started at the refresher course level and worked my way up.
As I was advancing I ended up working in the math "help room" to help others - plenty of people worked their way through just through sheer effort.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
GunsmokedBacon

MinnesotaDave wrote:
GunsmokedBacon wrote:

Thanks
I don't have an answer for the cause of COPD, but I didn't wear masks for welding or grinding until my 30's.
A couple places I worked had zero ventilation - smoke and cutting/grinding dust would hang all day.

I'm better about it now (for obvious reasons) and would just recommend you think it through and use the proper gear.
Nothing wrong with living long and healthy :)

By the way, don't let math scare you out of an interesting career field - there is plenty of extra help available at most colleges.
I went to school in my 30's and got a math degree - I started at the refresher course level and worked my way up.
As I was advancing I ended up working in the math "help room" to help others - plenty of people worked their way through just through sheer effort.
You see, the thing is that I dont know if Id like sitting at a desk all day and solely designing things with software. I feel like Im more of a craftsman.. I like using my hands and creating.. In the tangible sense. But Im just concerned that Im going to have regrets and think "what if" if I dont go that route. I want to try not to have many regrets... Which is why Im thinking about whether getting into welding is worth it if Im only going to end up suffering down the line. Im trying not to be shortsighted. I dont know if I could get through Mechanical Engineering if I dread the coursework so bad. I dont know if it's my thing.

What would you say is the best trade to learn? Machining? Welding? Personally, i want to be very well rounded when it comes to being able to utilize skills from other trades as well. I never want to stop learning or just limit myself to being well versed in solely one trade.

Once again, thank you for the great feedback.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

GunsmokedBacon wrote: You see, the thing is that I dont know if Id like sitting at a desk all day and solely designing things with software. I feel like Im more of a craftsman.. I like using my hands and creating.. In the tangible sense. But Im just concerned that Im going to have regrets and think "what if" if I dont go that route. I want to try not to have many regrets... Which is why Im thinking about whether getting into welding is worth it if Im only going to end up suffering down the line. Im trying not to be shortsighted. I dont know if I could get through Mechanical Engineering if I dread the coursework so bad. I dont know if it's my thing.

What would you say is the best trade to learn? Machining? Welding? Personally, i want to be very well rounded when it comes to being able to utilize skills from other trades as well. I never want to stop learning or just limit myself to being well versed in solely one trade.

This is an interesting conversation - I'll add my 2 cents just for perspective.

I seem to be genetically predisposed to tinkering. I love making and repairing - engines, cars, motorcycles. I dropped out of school to take up a mechanic's apprenticeship but soon learned that working on other people's stuff, to other people's (lower...) standards and filling out time sheets was not for me.

I went back to school, finished my studies...and started working for radio stations as a writer. This led to agency work, to ads, films, documentary, all sorts. 'Desk jobs', sure, but lots of variety.

And to keep me sane meanwhile, out of hours, I have always been working in my shed, building engines, and now, more and more, welding and fabricating. This is not considered 'normal' for someone who does what I do - apparently I should be attending independent film showings and going to art galleries. But who cares?

I guess what I'm saying is that work and life doesn't necessarily have to be one thing or the other. Try to keep some options open and whatever you do, if repetition drives you crazy like it does me, choose a path that will offer variety.

I hope this makes some kind of sense. All the best!

Kym

GunsmokedBacon wrote: You see, the thing is that I dont know if Id like sitting at a desk all day and solely designing things with software. I feel like Im more of a craftsman.. I like using my hands and creating.. In the tangible sense. But Im just concerned that Im going to have regrets and think "what if" if I dont go that route. I want to try not to have many regrets... Which is why Im thinking about whether getting into welding is worth it if Im only going to end up suffering down the line. Im trying not to be shortsighted. I dont know if I could get through Mechanical Engineering if I dread the coursework so bad. I dont know if it's my thing.

Being well rounded is what keeps me from going under financially. I do everything I can find work doing.

As far as regrets, I can't help there - my life is full of them I'm afraid.

One of my good friends owns and operates a successful machine shop. He doesn't like to weld.
But he learned to weld, including tig aluminum, because he had to.
Sometimes to do the thing we really want to do, we have to learn other stuff as well.

As far as "suffering down the line" goes.
I find it easier to put up with my physical problems than the emotional stress I have at my current job.

Good luck to you - and don't be afraid to change careers if you end up in one you don't like. :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
GunsmokedBacon

MosquitoMoto wrote:

This is an interesting conversation - I'll add my 2 cents just for perspective.

I seem to be genetically predisposed to tinkering. I love making and repairing - engines, cars, motorcycles. I dropped out of school to take up a mechanic's apprenticeship but soon learned that working on other people's stuff, to other people's (lower...) standards and filling out time sheets was not for me.

I went back to school, finished my studies...and started working for radio stations as a writer. This led to agency work, to ads, films, documentary, all sorts. 'Desk jobs', sure, but lots of variety.

And to keep me sane meanwhile, out of hours, I have always been working in my shed, building engines, and now, more and more, welding and fabricating. This is not considered 'normal' for someone who does what I do - apparently I should be attending independent film showings and going to art galleries. But who cares?

I guess what I'm saying is that work and life doesn't necessarily have to be one thing or the other. Try to keep some options open and whatever you do, if repetition drives you crazy like it does me, choose a path that will offer variety.

I hope this makes some kind of sense. All the best!

Kym

That sounds pretty interesting. That's how I always expected it to pan out if I went the engineering route. I'd keep the welding and gunsmithing (another one of my hobbies) on the side.

What makes me different than a lot of people is that I sort of immerse myself in something when I pursue it. I study it as much outside of school as I do inside of school. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. So if I went the welding route, I'd want to be one of the finest damn welders there is. I guess that attitude can be both good and bad.

Materials engineering/science is also something that caught my interest. But once again, I don't know if I could handle the math aspect of it. Perhaps I'm making excuses and giving up. I don't know.
GunsmokedBacon

MinnesotaDave wrote:

Being well rounded is what keeps me from going under financially. I do everything I can find work doing.

As far as regrets, I can't help there - my life is full of them I'm afraid.

One of my good friends owns and operates a successful machine shop. He doesn't like to weld.
But he learned to weld, including tig aluminum, because he had to.
Sometimes to do the thing we really want to do, we have to learn other stuff as well.

As far as "suffering down the line" goes.
I find it easier to put up with my physical problems than the emotional stress I have at my current job.

Good luck to you - and don't be afraid to change careers if you end up in one you don't like. :)
I'm sure it's pretty much impossible to live with no regrets. I see some people ending up miserable after they settle into a profession. I really don't want to be that person.

If I were to simply learn a trade, would it be better to do welding and then try to pick up other skills as time goes on or do something like machining and pick up welding afterwards?

GunsmokedBacon wrote: I'm sure it's pretty much impossible to live with no regrets. I see some people ending up miserable after they settle into a profession. I really don't want to be that person.

If I were to simply learn a trade, would it be better to do welding and then try to pick up other skills as time goes on or do something like machining and pick up welding afterwards?
That's a great question - if I had it to do over again, I think I'd start with machining and add a little welding to it.

The people I know who do machining still like it after many years at it. And their body is not giving out on them either.

I'm sure some other guys here will have ideas on the subject as well :)

Definitely try everything you can while young, much harder to switch up after you get older - in my opinion.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey GSB...don't underestimate other people's ability to obsess!

I am the reigning king of over-focus and over-research. Can't help myself. When I lock on to something, I am either doing it, researching it online, reading about it or studying it. Happily my 'normal' work - I work for myself - gives me the flexibility to often do this.

I think the trick, as others have inferred, is not to paint yourself into a corner. Be sure the study and training you need to do, you get done while you have your freedom. Case in point: my beautiful wife would like to study to be a Paramedic, but it's 4 years full time at a college a long way away and between her current work and juggling kids, we just can't make it work.

You can plan to make it perfect and probably make it good - nothing is perfect. And regrets? We all have some, it's called life. Think hard, be wise then dive in.

Kym
GunsmokedBacon

It's rough. I'm kind of in a bad situation. I'm working in retail right now just to get some money together. Obviously I don't want to be here forever. I don't know if I should use a trade as a stepping stone to get some money together for a college degree or just go the college route in the first place. I don't want to fail halfway and thousands of dollars through thanks to the math. Well, I guess I have lots of thinking to do. Thanks guys.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

The trades would be the last place I would ever steer someone but it sounded to me like welding might be your passion. My 2cts, in all reality is that the trades are a hard road uphill because they are flooded with people who ended up there because of no other choice. You will never get rich working with your hands and you have the advantage of youth to be able to make some mistakes and recover. Forget my unicorns and fairy dust first post and think long and hard about a college education. My son dropped out of college to get into the trades and now he hates it. I still want to kick his ass for his decision but he wanted the "big money" now instead of building a career. Work with your head, not your back and you won't be sorry. If you do find yourself sorry, you can always switch.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

GSB,
While you're doing the retail thing, enrol yourself in a math course and see how it goes.
You seem to be wholly focussed on failing due to a math weakness, so do something about it.
Math is one of my weaknesses, I missed out on the basics because I went to school in 3 different countries, several states and a territory. 6 years ago I was doing a diploma in engineering course at where I worked, math after 35 years out of school was a killer, I didnt complete that course due to being made redundant and shortly after fighting cancer.
So position yourself to gain the skills you will need to achieve your goals, you have the time.
Good luck with it.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
GunsmokedBacon

exnailpounder wrote:The trades would be the last place I would ever steer someone but it sounded to me like welding might be your passion. My 2cts, in all reality is that the trades are a hard road uphill because they are flooded with people who ended up there because of no other choice. You will never get rich working with your hands and you have the advantage of youth to be able to make some mistakes and recover. Forget my unicorns and fairy dust first post and think long and hard about a college education. My son dropped out of college to get into the trades and now he hates it. I still want to kick his ass for his decision but he wanted the "big money" now instead of building a career. Work with your head, not your back and you won't be sorry. If you do find yourself sorry, you can always switch.
I hear about that way too often. That's what I mean by I don't want to have any regrets. What do you think about learning a trade or two and attending business school in the future? I think the two would supplement each other quite well. There's no way I can afford four years of college by working at freakin Starbucks lol.
GunsmokedBacon

ex framie wrote:GSB,
While you're doing the retail thing, enrol yourself in a math course and see how it goes.
You seem to be wholly focussed on failing due to a math weakness, so do something about it.
Math is one of my weaknesses, I missed out on the basics because I went to school in 3 different countries, several states and a territory. 6 years ago I was doing a diploma in engineering course at where I worked, math after 35 years out of school was a killer, I didnt complete that course due to being made redundant and shortly after fighting cancer.
So position yourself to gain the skills you will need to achieve your goals, you have the time.
Good luck with it.
I've been using Khan Academy (a web-based tutoring service basically) and trying out the math. It's honestly not my thing. I've been busting my ass trying to make sense of it all but I think I'm too far behind. I missed out on two years of high school so I only got up to algebra 2 and trigonometry back in high school. When it comes to making sense of reading material, writing, or even building things, I'm amazing. I really don't think I'm meant for it. I guess the last thing I can do is go get actual tutoring.

And kudos to you for following through with that engineering degree after all the adversity. Wow.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

The operative word was DIDNT, so no didnt finish.
But back to you, get a tutor, it will help a lot.
If he/she is any good they will quickly find your level and build you up from there, distance learning wont do that. They should also figure out pretty quickly what sort of learner you are and the best way to present new material to you and explain it so YOU "get it".
A lot will depend on what exactly you really want to do and how badly you want to do it.
You can lead a horse to water and all that.
Just ask yourself while you're sweating away in retail, what would you really rather be doing?
Get help, you know when you need it.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....