General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Knocked my sons battery off a shelf today rushing before going to work, damn thing fell right on my second toe.

I looked down and it was split totally in two and I could fell bones moving in the tip as I was trying to get the bleeding to stop.

So after a trip to the ER, I broke some toe bones will totally lose the nail, got some stitches and some vicotin...lol I have to go see an othropedic doc tomorrow to check out the broken bones more.

Is it bad all I can think about is how my safety shoes are going to feel I hate being out of work....cant return if I can't wear my shoes and I have a busy week planned next week.
Attachments
IMG_20150820_173101262.jpg
IMG_20150820_173101262.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

OW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hate the sight of my blood.

Toe cap splint,maybe help
Last edited by rick9345 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

OUCH!!
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I bet you swore in languages you don't speak...
Rick_H

Otto Nobedder wrote:I bet you swore in languages you don't speak...
Yeah I'm pretty good with pain so I'm holding off taking the vicotin until I have to. Meanwhile my wife says its just a toe.... :o

Bad thing about it was I had just put the damn battery there 2 days ago I honestly don't know how I knocked it off...glad it hit me and not my little 4 yr old helper (son)
Last edited by Rick_H on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I bet you swore in languages you don't speak...
Welders have been known speak in many tongues.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

I've now got that horrible sympathy "tingle", thanks for that.
Bugger of a place to break something, a lot like ribs, everytime you move it hurts.
Go bleed on the wifes carpet, if she says anything, give her its only blood :)
Hope it all comes good, with any luck without a wire though the top of the toe for 6 weeks.
Stay safe.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Rick,
You might want to charge up that battery, you're going to need that power wheels to get around. :)

I've had more than one broken toe and after the third one I just started taping it to the next 2. That's all they ever did when I went to the ER. Then again I was paying the bill because I carried my own insurance at the time. Not really sure what else they'll do for it. I know they hurt like a bitch. Hope you don't lose any work over it.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Did you call the TOE TRUCK? :o That looks like it hurts. Foot injuries are a special kind of pain.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H

Toe truck....lol thanks guys.

Well I woke up to some decent pain today, what sucks is I have the feeling like it wants to crack and I can't do it. Have to see the orthopedic doc in a few hours, hopefully all is well.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
exnailpounder

Rick_H wrote:Toe truck....lol thanks guys.

Well I woke up to some decent pain today, what sucks is I have the feeling like it wants to crack and I can't do it. Have to see the orthopedic doc in a few hours, hopefully all is well.
You will soon realize how many times you bump your foot into something that you normally wouldn't pay any attention to. I can't even look at the pic again...brings back too many memories of my own injuries. Hope all goes good at the Doc for you.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Wow, Rick! Sorry to hear about your injury! It does look like one of those things that would be painful!

This is one reason I never mess with batteries ...

I used to 'handle the pain', but anymore I am a sissy pants and I don't give a rats ass who thinks so. I did a broken/dislocated shoulder, cracked rib, concussion and brain injury with no pain pills. Second degree burn all over the rear of my left leg. No pain pills; lots more! Never again. Dope me up!
exnailpounder

Boomer63 wrote:Wow, Rick! Sorry to hear about your injury! It does look like one of those things that would be painful!

I used to 'handle the pain', but anymore I am a sissy pants and I don't give a rats ass who thinks so. I did a broken/dislocated shoulder, cracked rib, concussion and brain injury with no pain pills. Second degree burn all over the rear of my left leg. No pain pills; lots more! Never again. Dope me up!
"No pain pills"....yeah but lots of alcohol I'm bettin!
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

exnailpounder wrote:
Boomer63 wrote:Wow, Rick! Sorry to hear about your injury! It does look like one of those things that would be painful!

"No pain pills"....yeah but lots of alcohol I'm bettin!
Don't leave out the alcohol! LOL!
Captainbeaky
    Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm

I dislocated my shoulder 10 years ago, and it flares up every now and again.
I find taking a really strong painkiller before I go to bed means that I will at least get a good night sleep!

Vicodin is very very strong - use wisely.

And be careful mixing any medicine with alcohol....
( ask me how I know!)
Rick_H

Well...the tip of the toe bone is fractured completely but is inline, they said nothing they can do but let it heal. Also as of now they will leave the nail and see what happens. As long as I can keep it dry, wrapped and protected and take the pain I can work.

So I'll see how it feels Monday, this will be the first time I have had 4 straight days off in over a year...sucks I can't do something fun.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:... this will be the first time I have had 4 straight days off in over a year...sucks I can't do something fun.
How about some soccer with the kids? A good hike? Or if you want to relax, maybe some hackey-sack in the park with your buds... And take the wife dancing... :mrgreen:

Steve S
exnailpounder

Dress your wife up in a nurse outfit and have her give you a .....spongebath...THAT would be fun! And then go around and take ALL the batteries off the shelves. bowling balls and anvils too! Bottom shelf is your friend! :lol: Youll have to excuse me but I need to get some mileage out of your pain and misfortune :lol:
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Bah I drop things on my left foot all the time and don't feel a thing ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

GreinTime wrote:Bah I drop things on my left foot all the time and don't feel a thing ;)
You have an advantage.

You can crack the sh!t out of your shin, and just lay it on the coffee table and watch it hurt.

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
GreinTime wrote:Bah I drop things on my left foot all the time and don't feel a thing ;)
You have an advantage.

You can crack the sh!t out of your shin, and just lay it on the coffee table and watch it hurt.

Steve S
This is true. However, I try not to watch it hurt, I just smirk at all the people waiting to hear me say ouch ;)
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Rick_H

A bunch of comedians.... Lol

My kids are going over to my father in-laws tonight so I may get that nurse outfit :twisted:

I think my biggest opstical is going to be a sock..
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:A bunch of comedians.... Lol

My kids are going over to my father in-laws tonight so I may get that nurse outfit :twisted:

I think my biggest opstical is going to be a sock..
Hey Rick, just found this thread, sorry to hear about your accident, hope you feel better soon!
Richard
Website

Rick_H wrote:...I think my biggest opstical is going to be a sock..
If you've got one sock you can't wear, you don't need the wife; You can entertain yourself... :shock:

:lol:

Steve S
exnailpounder

If it was me I would be dipping my filler rod in that hot puddle....Hey Steve, I never heard of the sock trick, how did you find out about it? :lol: