General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
camillerih
    Mon May 18, 2015 5:21 am

I am thinking of buying a Mig Welder Gas Less, I think it's called flux spool right?

I am thinking of using this Mig welder for small projects such as a small stairs, BBQ building etc, no SKYSCRAPERS :) ,

What hardware do you think I should get, also what AMPS should I look for?

I have a small ARC Welder , the stick welding one, and it's quite tricky to weld with it, I think it's low on AMPS....I ve been watching Videos on youtube all weekend

Hope you can help me out

Thanks in advance
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

camillerih,

Welcome to the forum

What part of the world are you in? That will make a difference to what models are available, and what's best suited to your requirements.

Look for 150 Amps minimum

However, my advise if to listen to all the other replies before jumping into the deep end. Then start with a machine that doesn't underestimate/compromise what you eventually want to achieve. As you progress, you'll never need less than what you start with. Never forget that rule.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
camillerih

Hi Thanks for the warm welcome , I have an arc welder right now and I tried , MY BEST to try to weld but I did not know certain things about welding...I was trying to weld 2 thick steel items with an 80A or so arc welder, and it looks that the rods are not good either...I went to buy some 2mm and I also bought some from WURTH to be sure I am getting the good stuff, I talked in lenght with the guy and I realized that I don't have enough current to weld that kind of stuff....I saw a 160A arc welder and I think it will be enough for me.

I came up with this theory, Here in Malta we do everything...I mean everything...if you need plumbing , YOU have to do it, if you need Electricity, YOU have to do it...basicly we maltese try to do everything...anyway, I am an industrial electronics technician and I fix photocopiers for a living and I am also a bit of what project shall we do next guy!1, I built a wood fired oven and wanted to make the door...I went to this blacksmith and asked him to do it for me...I ended up went to a friend of mine and he did it for me.

I just want to learn how to weld and if I need to do something quick , I can do it myself...I figured out that the ARC Welder is the best option for me for various reasons, if I buy a MIG welder without gas, the spool costs very much and aslo I might not find easily in Malta...if I buy it with gas, I have to hire and fill the tank...and the thing is that I am not going to use it like everyday, so I thought that it is best I get hold of a good ARC Welder, as I told you I saw one with 160Amps and it costs aroung 355 Euros, I think its a good price....what I want to weld is some holow sections with some angle irons, to make a BBQ project or else a small stairs or a Window frame...thats it!!

Sorry for writing in length and there might be some spelling mistakes but I know that here I can get some good advise...cheers and WELD THE WORLD TOGETHER :)
camillerih

Dear all,

I am going to invest in a 250AMP ARC WELDER, I better buy a good one, and since I am not that much into welding I am going for the ARC WELDER, because its cheap and it can do the job...what you think guys?

Thanks again for helping
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

An ARC welder (Shielded Metal Arc Welding - SMAW) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shielded_metal_arc_welding is where electric welding essentially all began.

From what you describe, this would be OK for you.

However, 250 Amps is very high for arc welding. You probably don't need something so high. For what you describe, I still suggest around 150 AMPS will be really ample.

You might consider a multi-purpose inverter welder that can run Stick (SMAW) and other technologies too

However, please let others provide advice too.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc