General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I bought a new bike for my daughter for her 6th birthday, man those Chinese production welds stood right out here I thought all bikes look like Zanks...lol

Even though I have always welded I admit I pay a lot more attention to these things now days, my wife just shakes her head.

Makes you really appreciate a true craftsman.

@Zank
Last edited by Rick_H on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Rick,
I agree. We bought my son a bike for him B-day a few weeks ago and while I was following him riding my bike in noticed serious LOF on the bike. So much so I was going to take a few pics and post them but didn't. I said something to my wife about them like "Those are not from Zank" to which she said I am not right. Funny how us welders look at the same things.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Rick_H wrote:... my wife just shakes her heads...
I'm entertained by that mental image... I've feared my wife was a Hydra, on occasion, which may have kept my from knocking her block off a time or two... :shock:

I will notice a substandard weld out of the corner of my eye, almost anywhere I go. Since I've also done finish carpentry, I will spot an inside miter that should have been coped from across the room, and my time painting houses makes me see every poorly finished tape-joint or patch in the drywall as soon as I walk in the room.

I guess when you focus on the details to do the best job you can, (pride in workmanship), you can immediately see who didn't give a s&!t.

Steve S
massacre
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Uh oh
Remind me not to invite you to my house, I'd be too embarrassed! lol j/k
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

steve
i have found f i don't wear my glasses everyones work
look ok...lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I have a migraine today and you got me wondering if when a Hydra gets a migraine if all the heads get it. Maybe that's why they are so nasty, 5 migraines at once, you can bet your ass I'd be mean.

I too will sit in a doctor's office and check out the trim or go to Tractor Supply look at welds on parts and think some of these people should be ashamed of themselves.

I used to deliver to Cannondale Bicycle (Bedford, Pa.) and can tell you that they don't have anything to be ashamed of. I'm sure a less than spectacular weld go out on occasion, but the ones I saw were very good.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Rick_H wrote:I bought a new bike for my daughter for her 6th birthday, man those Chinese production welds stood right out here I thought all bikes look like Zanks...lol

Even though I have always welded I admit I pay a lot more attention to these things now days, my wife just shakes her heads.

@Zank
How many heads does your wife have?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Heads=1. Personalities = undefined amount.
Rick_H

weldin mike 27 wrote:Heads=1. Personalities = undefined amount.
You guys crack me up...and it sounds like Mike knows my wife.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

Bill Beauregard wrote:
Rick_H wrote:I bought a new bike for my daughter for her 6th birthday, man those Chinese production welds stood right out here I thought all bikes look like Zanks...lol

Even though I have always welded I admit I pay a lot more attention to these things now days, my wife just shakes her heads.

@Zank
How many heads does your wife have?
You know I thought I fixed that... Lol
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Just recently went to a party at a multi million dollar house with a dock. Me and wife wandered down to dock, she was standing on dock saying how nice it was with the 3 large docking areas for boats diving board off end of it, fuel supply on dock, storage area for supplies. . . . I was looking at hand railings and support structure. She asked what's wrong told her I wouldn't pay scrap metal price for it. She asked why, I pointed at the welding on railings told her not to lean on them and pointed out framing. IT HAD VERY VERY BAD WELDS even she had to agree the welder and builder should be fired.

Next day we went on a cave tour. They had a walking path around the area. At one point a bridge crossed a big ravine. She's looking out at scenery, I was looking at railings and stuff. She looks down at what I am looking at and says they really shouldn't let people use this should they. Told her nope whole thing needs to be rewelded.

It is amazing the crappy workmanship that surrounds us every day at all levels. Either high dollar stuff with bad builders or public areas with bad inspectors approving things. I wish I took pics of the welds now.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

dirtmidget33 wrote:...It is amazing the crappy workmanship that surrounds us every day at all levels. Either high dollar stuff with bad builders or public areas with bad inspectors approving things. I wish I took pics of the welds now.
Ain't it the truth?

Sometimes, "good enough" IS just that. How many crappy welds on a mower deck fail before the metal rusts out? Few, and any putz with a buzz-box can fix them good enough to make it to "rust-out". Handrail fails make me nervous, because the same company likely build those stairs with the concrete poured in each step ... :shock:

Steve S
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
dirtmidget33 wrote:...It is amazing the crappy workmanship that surrounds us every day at all levels. Either high dollar stuff with bad builders or public areas with bad inspectors approving things. I wish I took pics of the welds now.
Ain't it the truth?

Sometimes, "good enough" IS just that. How many crappy welds on a mower deck fail before the metal rusts out? Few, and any putz with a buzz-box can fix them good enough to make it to "rust-out". Handrail fails make me nervous, because the same company likely build those stairs with the concrete poured in each step ... :shock:
Hey..Im the local mower deck repairman...I dont have a buzzbox and cant stickweld to save my life...what are you saying :D
Steve S
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.