General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
lil'bones
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 am

Hey guys, I am an instructor at a trades school and we are looking at recording some video for students. I was wondering what type of video cameras work best for filming welding? The videos on this site are excellent quality and we are hoping that the students can view the puddle as well as can be on this site. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by lil'bones on Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I believe that they just use a cheap camera from walmart. I read that somewhere on here and I heard others talk about it. Some people put the camera in the helmet to cut down on glare. I have never filmed welds but that is what I heard and read. :)
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm pretty sure some of those great camera shots Jodie does is some wacked out, out of postion welding and he has that camera in the way of seeing what he is doing. I think our mentor could weld blind if he had to LOL. I know I wouldn't want to weld on camera and with it being in the way on top of that. Plus he welds customers stuff a lot of times while doing it. :o I wouldn't want to explain to customer that I messed up there 1000 dollar part they just had machined cause I was filming it on camera :cry:
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Seems like any HD camera mounted behind an auto darkening face plate would work...
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Something like sheleft cam glasses would be gun
I have a soldering iron!
wrinkleneck
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Jodie don't visit here and reply.

He posts vids on his main site and sells stuff on another. He offers us this forum at his expense where we can interact.

It's just business, but that is the way it is.

His vids are always entertaining and his advice always spot on, but that is his business model and it works for him and us.

I agree he should post his camera tech for us guys who want to film and critic our own welds. but if he did so it might invite commercial competition.......So I just watch and I'm happy he shares what he does.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

He'll post here when he has time.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I have tried filming the weld arc and puddle with my Tig using several different cameras, lenses, filters etc.
All have been an epic fail.

The amount of varying wavelength of lights and RF that is cast of from the arc plays havoc with the image.

I would LOVE to know what camera he uses, I know there is one made specific for recording this kind of stuff but it starts at 3K and goes up from there.

I would be happy if I could take stills of the work just for documentation purposes on some projects I work on.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Well I don't own a video camera so can't comment - but for what it's worth I used to take plenty of still arc shots - what I found was you must have everything manual - set white balance manually to mercury or closest relevant setting - set manual focus - auto exposure / shutter speed will work if the arc is consistent & the light level is within the reasonable dynamic range of the camera - to achieve this you will need to add some neutral density - the amount varies greatly with distance from weld & amps - also make sure you add a cheapy skylight ( 1B )or similar that can be changed when spatter builds up which it always seems to ! - I don't know how great an effect it makes but I used to add CPL instead as I had some cheap ones - my thinking was that there are always going to be reflections from metal with that intensity of light - my pictures were of arc & mig - I got quite good results despite the smoke etc from these processes - I would think Tig would photograph better as it's cleaner - while I don't like promoting other channels here it may be worth asking Wyatt on his setup - I get the impression it maybe expensive / pro stuff which is likely outside the price range of most - but he will generally answer any question sent him - even some quite ridiculous ones with good grace!
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

A good guess would be a GoPro HD camera... seems like toe best option
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150