General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
forrestderp
    Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:51 am

Now that it is getting cold outside and I no longer want to have the windows or doors open in the garage, when I weld I get a fair amount of fumes built up in the air.
My question is what is everyone using to filter the air in your garage?
Thanks,
-Sean
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

In the summer I run two ceiling fans that vent into the attic (which is vented outside).

But, northern MN winters make that impossible. I block off the vents all winter and just crack one open when needed.

The warm air rising takes the smoke out very well and I don't lose too much heat.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I open the big door about 6-12 inches, as well I have this fancy specially designed hole in my drywall ceiling that vents the smoke to the attic. Yes it was specially built for my size 10 foot to fit through when it slipped off a rafter :)

Heat rises taking the smoke out, and CO2 is heavier than air so it drops to the floor and vents out the door. And when that's not enough, my materials cart sits outside, so I end up opening the big door a few times to get materials.

BUT keep in mind I am in Dallas, so our cold weather is in the 30's, not the -30's
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Check craigslist there was a Lincoln fine extractor on my local tool section recently
Tombstone
    Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:15 pm

I don't do anything because in the winter time, I'm living in Southern California. :mrgreen:

In all seriousness, it does get chilly in the mornings when I start metal fabing. So, I'll open the roll-up door about two feet, then open up a side door. I run a kerosene torpedo type heater and weld "up wind" of the heater intake. The heater blows across the garage keeping warmth in, but also expels the welding fumes out the side door. Works for me. Been doing it this way for about 15 years now.
"Let's light the fire an' brief on guard.". RIP Lt. Col Stan "Red Dog" Nichols. USMC. Fighter Pilot. Korea, Vietnam. MCAS El Toro.
gocirino
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I bought this AQE2000 (Air Quality Engineering) fume extractor recently from Government Liquidations.com for $500 and put another $500 restoring it. Wouldn't weld without it, tired of opening the doors and losing heat.
Attachments
AQE2000.jpeg
AQE2000.jpeg (179.96 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (124.84 KiB) Viewed 875 times
photo.JPG[/attachment]

Borrowing this fume extractor from a friend :D
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (123.17 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024