General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi everyone I am a High school student and I have been into TIG welding aluminum and steel for a month now and i think i got it down pretty good as in just flat welds and I am wondering if you guys could give me some good welds to do that you guys do a lot we don't have a lot of aluminum just a couple of stacks of aluminum and a lot of stainless sheet metal and I am on a simple Miller Diversion 165 and I want to learn as much as i can in the 90 min I have in class and I want to go into welding after high school and I am a senior so I'm looking into welding schools but right now I have a application in for a youth apprenticeship and I hope that I get it so any help would help
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

If you are running good beads then move on to lap joints in the different positions. I then have students work on inside and outside corner joints. Work on getting a good start to the joint by bringing up the puddle on both pieces of metal at the same time. My students want to weld the joints but when it comes to prepping the metal, not so much. So prep the metal before welding.

When I was teaching high school, if one of my students was online looking for more information, I may have had a stroke...so keep up the good work!

Kevin
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

I'm impressed.

TIG. Aluminium and steel.

Hey, watch every video on Welding Tips and Tricks.

Can you possibly get access to a welder for more than the 90 mins of class time?

Look at all the tools in the workshop, too. It is necessary to weld well, but you need really good (and safe) skills in measuring, cutting, fit up, and finishing metal.

It is probably easier and cheaper to get hold of steel (scraps and off cuts are fine). Clean up the rust and paint, etc, off old metal, and make simple stuff, like small square frame (that is square, and in the one plane). Anyway, make stuff as often as you can.

Talk to your teacher and ask for help to get more material and more time on the welder.