General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
qwerty12
    Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello to all welders on this forum. Some of you probably know me on the arch welding subforum.
For those that do not....well I am qwerty12 :lol: I have smal telwin nordica 4.181 buzzbox and me doing all kinds of welds from car panel to tractor chasis repair with my magic rod burning box :D

Well...the thing is i have a normal hand held welding helmet that came with my welder in box included. its not a bad one...got 11 shade, can see puddle nice in all ower range...buth hand holding option is a problematic one.
Not so much when welding big steel things...you light the rod and than drive it all whe way down... buth when whelding thin metal sheets it brings all the problems on. Cant do precision things somethimes due the welding position well...I position the rod...I cover my face and when try to start the arc...rod is not where is supose to be.

So most of times I start the arc just looking at the rod and when it starts burning i fastly cover my face.
Not problem when welding on short time...buth last few fays I have been repairing my old rusty car. done some hard and long therm welding...and I got my eyes burned trought like swiss chese. Yesterday I could not see al day long man it still burns in my eyes like hell when I watch bright light.

So I finaly decided to buy a ful face helmet with auto darkening option. I managed it to spare few bucks and was looking on ebay.

Before order I must ask here for advices because I am a welding beginer.
I have a few demands for my helmet.

1) It must not be more than 40 US dolars...simply because I can not afford anything more expencive.
2) It must have free shiping option, because i live in eastern europa and if not free shiping, postage prices are high
3) My welder goes from 55 to 160 amps and I weld diferent things so it needs to have correct shade numbers for me
4) It needs to be enought good in guality(if that is posible for 40bucks) because in next few years I wont be able to aford new one
5) it must have enought protection for my eyes...because I do not wont to burn my eyes again it hurts like hell

I was looking on ebay and found this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-ANSI- ... 4610d501c7

So please tell me if that one is OK for me...I am a beginer and do not know how to read all those specifications. If you tell me it is a good one I will buy it, if it is not good I will buy another one, please post links of those You think are ok.

I am werry gratefull to all your advices in andvance
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Well, for that price and free shipping from China that is about the best you are going to get.
Here in the USA we have a store called Harbor Freight and another called Northern Tool that sell auto darkening helmets that many people have been satisfied with.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable ... 46092.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200485271

For the eBay helmet:

Positives
>solar operated so no batteries that may be hard to find in Europe and expensive
>adjustable shade is the correct range for what you weld
>post arc delay is available and can be set
>there is a grind mode
>sensitivity is adjustable
>price
>far better than a hand-held mask

Negatives
>not sure about the fit of the headgear, adjustability (looks OK but you never know)
>replacement cover lenses may be hard to find
>appears to be cheaply made (they cut costs somehow)
>probably no returns
>no one has experience with it so feedback is limited
>a helmet is a vital tool, it may be better to save your money until you can get a high-quality one (I know, I know - funds are an issue)
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

@ Qwerty 12.
An auto dark mask will generally make any weld easier so well worth the money and will prevent further " arc eye " - at the lower end of the budget you can't expect too much - but there are many masks that are fine for most peoples home use - often the shell & headgear are'nt the best quality - but as it's your own you won't knock it around like on some work sites.

I looked at the Ebay one you mentioned and I would not buy it for two reasons

1. it may work OK - but there is a battery in virtually all the masks - the solar panel charges them when in sufficiently strong light - but the mask is powered by that battery - if you can't change it the mask will stop working when the battery no longer holds a good charge so then it means replacing the mask - there was a recent post from someone with an Esab mask with this problem - he cut the filter apart to replace the batteries - but ideally look for an easy to change battery & make sure it's a type that you can buy locally.

2. There were alot of this or a similar model around UK Ebay a while ago - their biggest flaw was the fitting of the front clear cover allows a good deal of welding smoke to enter & coat the inside of the cover & the filter itself - you are forever cleaning the thing - they no longer sell this model I believe - also if it is the same one the optical quality of the filter was'nt great either.

Not sure if it's any help but below is a link for a UK supplied mask - it's quite cheap - and though I've not got this one I have the same filter in another mask that has the clips fitted for a cheater lens - the optical quality is very good - the front is sealed against smoke entry & it uses a single lithium ( CR2032 ) battery that is easily changed - if the postage is a problem to you location the mask is Chinese so you could look on your Ebay for the same item.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-DARKENIN ... 667b5ed72d

Hope this helps & good luck with your future projects.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Don't go by budget. Anything you buy, and being you are doing without one anyway, is just one or two extra weeks away from saving enough for a better product. I know that "saving" sounds old fashioned in this "gotta have it now" times that we live in, but it's a small inconvenience for better equipment and anything less is false economy otherwise. If you were never going to make another nickel for the rest of your life, then ok, but. . . .
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

your limit is 40 bucks? american. has to be auto darkening?? unless you're going to "bring cash alley" or "midnite welding supply" your choices are limited to harbor fright or similar oriental discount outlets. remember, this is to protect your most important tool of all, your eyes. i been using the fibre-metal flip front for over 40 years with the basic headgear and it works fine. indoors or out. in any lighting conditions. in any weather conditions. i also use an 11 filter but had to add a cheater 19 years ago when i hit 40. my last helper was continually fiddling with his auto dark. between dead battery's and sudden lighting changes i seemed to be always waiting on him which is why he's now changing light bulbs.
jwmacawful

TamJeff wrote:Don't go by budget. Anything you buy, and being you are doing without one anyway, is just one or two extra weeks away from saving enough for a better product. I know that "saving" sounds old fashioned in this "gotta have it now" times that we live in, but it's a small inconvenience for better equipment and anything less is false economy otherwise. If you were never going to make another nickel for the rest of your life, then ok, but. . . .
and yeah, what tam j said!!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Guys, Qwerty12 is in Bosnia, if you've not followed. Consider the financial situation in Bosnia.

The ebay hood may not be the perfect solution, but it is a good enough solution to keep him working and moving forward, so that perhaps by the time it fails he CAN afford a step above. This assuming it works as intended and he's not screwed out of $40.

Steve S
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Guys, Qwerty12 is in Bosnia, if you've not followed. Consider the financial situation in Bosnia.

The ebay hood may not be the perfect solution, but it is a good enough solution to keep him working and moving forward, so that perhaps by the time it fails he CAN afford a step above. This assuming it works as intended and he's not screwed out of $40.

Steve S

I agree. I know guys who weld every day with $40 Harbor Freight auto hoods and have been for a few years now. If you look close most of the autos with the adjustment on the outside use the same basic lens anyway. Just pick a seller with a good high feedback and lots of sales. That's the guy that would rather replace a bad one than deal with complaints.
qwerty12

Well oto you got the poing. I am cristaly clear aware that expensive things are good. buth the problem is I work 12 hours shifts with 1 or no free day weekly and all that for 150 euros per mounth, thats abouth 200 us dolars.

Funny thing it is...that some of folks here on forum can make that much money just for one day, even half day...and I must do it for 30 days :)

Ofcourse I know expensive hoods will last long will protect my eyes betther, wil be comfortable add so on. Buth ono thing are wishes other thing is reality. Certanly I would like to have a nice MIG welder, a 200 amps 3 phase stick welder, brazing gun, plasma cutter, air fompresor for painting, porschee 911 instead of old rusty 25years opel...buth...for those 150 euros somethimes its just hard to pay bills and taxes.

So at the end I will order one of those chinese masks for 40 bucks...eaven that is much money to me buth cant force my eyes annymore :shock:

noddybrain posted a nice mask link buth its not sending to my country...i have contacted the seller and asked and pleased him to send it...so i am waiting for the answer...
noddybrian

@ Querty12

Thank you for explaining your location & financial circumstances - it should put into perspective for all of us how little some people are forced to live on.

That mask I sent the link for is an import & I think you should find the same one on Ebay in your country ( if you have it ) - the same seller that I sent the link for also used to sell a much more basic model - I know plenty of people have them & used them without problems for years - they were very reliable - only downside was a fairly narrow viewing area - I actually know the seller / importer personally - I could go round & see if they have any left & enquire about shipping to Bosnia if you want - but I think a direct shipping from source will be easier.

All the best.
qwerty12

ofcourse my country does not have ebay, manomanoman we do not have dial up modems in most of the far from towns willages :lol:

Is I say a contacted that dealer lilacsusan...maybe he will be kind to send that item in my state. I found eaven a cheaper hood its 15 pounds and it looks the same as one you specified...at least lences and welding glass is.

Man if it sends it to me I wont look like this when going on job :shock:

I am scared my boss will think I am an drug adict if he sees me like this :shock:

:lol:
noddybrian

I'm not sure what you were looking at or if you know how Ebay works - but I think you saw the same mask on it's starting bid as an auction sale - not "buy it now" - it will undoubtedly go up in price before it ends.
If you don't get an answer from the seller private message me your address & I'll try to get them to price to ship one to you - or even the older cheaper model if it helps.
jwmacawful

qwerty12 wrote:Well oto you got the poing. I am cristaly clear aware that expensive things are good. buth the problem is I work 12 hours shifts with 1 or no free day weekly and all that for 150 euros per mounth, thats abouth 200 us dolars.

Funny thing it is...that some of folks here on forum can make that much money just for one day, even half day...and I must do it for 30 days :)

Ofcourse I know expensive hoods will last long will protect my eyes betther, wil be comfortable add so on. Buth ono thing are wishes other thing is reality. Certanly I would like to have a nice MIG welder, a 200 amps 3 phase stick welder, brazing gun, plasma cutter, air fompresor for painting, porschee 911 instead of old rusty 25years opel...buth...for those 150 euros somethimes its just hard to pay bills and taxes.

So at the end I will order one of those chinese masks for 40 bucks...eaven that is much money to me buth cant force my eyes annymore :shock:

noddybrain posted a nice mask link buth its not sending to my country...i have contacted the seller and asked and pleased him to send it...so i am waiting for the answer...
all that work for 150 euros a month?! and only one day off? you're breaking my heart!! go to the private message thingy at the top of the forum and send me your address and i'll mail you a shield. don't worry about the dough, call it good will between brother welders.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

qwerty12,
I am not that firmiliar with international shipping, but if I can find a way to ship it to you, I have an auto darkening Harbor Freight helmet that I will send to you. It's new and I bought it on sale just for the neighbor kids to wear when they watch me work. I use the same one to weld at home and I have given them to the kids in my neighborhood who are willing to sit and learn and you seem to be more than willing to learn.

You can PM with your address and any tips on what I need to do to get it to you and I 'll get it heading your way.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
qwerty12

Well...I am kinda out of words. Realy did not expected to have such a nice welcome here, and so much people willing to help and eaven share their own goods.
You all are realy pleasant, and thank you werry much on that. This is a realy nice forum, an I am glad that brothers in welding are willing to help worldwide eaven to forum newbies and totali beginers.

Also much thanks for those who ofered me their welding helmets, buth I am a guy who does not likes to receive free things eaven If the ground under my feet is burning. All things I have in my life I made them with hard work and labour. Buth thanks again realy realy much...you realy left me without words.

And I forgot to post a link in my last post. It was this hood
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-DARKENIN ... AQ:GB:1123

yes it is on auction...buth who nows maybe nobody will put bids...and also if does maybe they wont be too much high...my only concern is If that seller is willing to send it to my country and will the postage costs be lower prices.

Thats whats bothering me right now :)

Still got not answer from the seller...and I am looking at ebay mailbox every few hours, and I expect a suprice :lol:
jwmacawful

until you get your new shield try to be careful about watching that arc. how about some pics of your machine and shop?
qwerty12

Well there is a few topic I started in Arc welding subforum. They contain pictures of my welder and my welds.

One last topic I started has lot of my questions, pictures of my welds, amd my welder picture.

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... f=4&t=3406

Its a telwin nordica 4.181 AC welder. goes from 55 to 160 amps. Nice tool realy. Has a fan and it is realy hard to everheat. Only bad thing on that welder is realy short cables. Buth what else to expect from such a cheep product ;)

In that link there are picuter of me doing old car body repair, and some plug welds That I have done before.

Feel free to coment and give your opinions and critics
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

You know, pride and honor are very admirable traits. I applaud you for having them. Foolishness is not so much admired. Given your circumstances, it would be foolhardy to not take Braehill's generous offer.

The Harbor Freight helmet is something that many welders have found useable. The helmet you are considering may not be. Plus, you don't have access to the Harbor Freight product.

Americans, in general, are a generous, caring, and sympathetic lot. We help when and where we can - sometimes more than we should. :roll:

If someone shows initiative then we are all behind them and will willing try to aid their efforts.

It is the freeloaders and loafers that bring out our stingy side.

qwerty12,
My offer was not intended to insult your pride but was intended to applaud your intiative. You should know that the kids that I would give this same helmet to here could make enough money mowing their own yard to pay for it. I paid my 19 year old son (who doesn't live at home) yesterday $40 to mow my yard with my riding mower. I would give it to them to encourage them to learn a new skill so they wouldn't have to depend on others in the future, it's called "paying it forward" here and it is not charity on my part.

My offer still stands and I hope your pride will let you except it.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
noddybrian

To those who offered to send querty a mask - I salute you - it restores faith in our human nature - I had considered doing this myself despite being a bit short of money - but not on the scale he is - I wish he would accept the offer - to have pride is fine - but know when to accept help - seeing the response to his circumstances & the difficulty in trying to repair sheet metal with a buzz box I had considered trying to find a second hand little hobby mig - or even posting a new thread inviting any member with a surplus machine to send it to him - don't know how we can change his mind - it would be such a small thing for many of us where we live comfortably in ignorance of others hardship - yet could make his life so much easier - many of us I'm sure donate to charities but never see that money do any real good or often get there at all - sadly many large charities only deliver a tiny percentage of the money their donated to where it counts - whereas here we have a genuine guy we could help if he'd let us.
@ Qwerty if you read this please think about accepting the offer of a mask from one of your fellow welders.
qwerty12

guys you all made ma face flush :oops:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I understand your pride in this, and I accept it.

Perhaps you can make an agreement with Len or jwmcawful for a price that will at least cover the shipping? You'll know your getting a hood that works, we know we've helped a friend in need, and you don't have to feel you've gotten something for nothing.

Steve S
TamJeff

Did not note qwerty's location or his predicament, so I apologize if my post sounded condescending. 99 out of 100 of these requests would be some youngster here in the US with an 800.00 cell phone with all the apps and games, cutting corners on more important things. Many kids are even reluctant to furnish their own basic hand tools here these days. You have to make them do it.
TamJeff

jwmacawful wrote: i been using the fibre-metal flip front for over 40 years with the basic headgear and it works fine. indoors or out. in any lighting conditions. in any weather conditions. i also use an 11 filter but had to add a cheater 19 years ago when i hit 40. my last helper was continually fiddling with his auto dark. between dead battery's and sudden lighting changes i seemed to be always waiting on him which is why he's now changing light bulbs.
That's the hood I started with and I just replaced it with the same after mine took a ride South on the back of a boat that took off before my welds were even cooled off. I have the Miller passive hood but the head gear kept slipping a notch back between ratchet points and it would irk me.

In school, the fibre-metal cost 18.00 for students. It just never occurred to me to upgrade it because it worked and 25 or so years went by. . .

Funny thing that whenever we had an awkward position say, when someone had to sit on your legs while you hung out horizontally over the water by just the grace of your gut muscles, I was always chosen for it because they knew my hood would stay on. lol

I too still have the flip front Fibre-metal that I would guess was purchased sometime in the late sixties. I know it's that old because when I was 5 years old and trying to teach myself to weld in the basement I was using it. But my mother said "You're stinking up the house and running up the electric bill" and made me stop.

The welder, that also still works, was an old copper coil Lincoln buzzbox. I wasn't strong enough to drag it outside, so I had to wait for one of my older brothers to come from school to help me. So I went to the small wooden garage we had and fired up the torch and got an old coat hanger like I had seen my dad do and welded my bicycle back together. Then about an hour later had to do it again, then again, then I tore down the jump that was causing all this learning to take place. Haven't thought about that in many years.

Seems like I've been in welding school for over 44 years and still no degree to speak of. Wow I'm a slow learner.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len