General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JoeSparks
    Thu May 17, 2012 9:08 pm

It may be my eyeglasses or the way that I set the auto darkening helmet, but I have a difficult time seeing the puddle as clearly as I do on Jody's video's for instance. I've fiddled and fussed with the adjustments on the helmet and done everything from welding below chest level to almost welding at eye level to get in the sweet spot of the glasses.

Is it just me or have you had to work this out too? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joe
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

1. Notice how close Jody's camera is to the weld (or zoomed in). It is easier to see the puddle if you are within inches of it. Close enough to smoke up the cover plate on your helmet's lens.

2. Look at the weld from the side. A stick will obscure it if you are using SMAW. If using MIG or flux-core you'll have to turn up the lens shade because the brightness will cause a flash-out (if that is the right term).

3. The liquid flux from some sticks will cover the puddle to the extent that you might wonder where it has gone. 7018 or other dense/heavy flux rods will hide the puddle in flux. Practice with some 6011 or 6010 to get a better view of what a puddle looks like.
rankamateur
    Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 am

I put a cheater in my hood. Doubling the size of everything has made it much easier for me to see the puddle, my slag, and where I am biting in and where I am not. If you're having trouble with MIG, try turning the voltage down and cold-lapping some solid wire. I have people I am teaching do this, then make slow, lazy circles. When they do this, the weld cools quickly and a lot of times all you do see glowing is the puddle. It'll help them learn the shape and geography of the puddle, then when we crank it back up, they seem to have an easier time.