General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
weld this..
    Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:43 pm

hello, i'm a totally new guy to this forum and new to finding a welding job. im 20, and I've been at job corps for a year learning to weld, and I'm about to graduate and start my career. I'd never been exposed to welding before i came to job corps, but i fell in love immediately as I've always loved working with my hands and creating things. I found i have a natural skill for it, and i've learned the procceses quickly, i am now familiar with stick, flux core, hard wire, aluminum tig, oxyfuel cutting and the various machines and tools that go along with welding. i earned my 3g aws certs for 7018 and flux core, and i'm really confident in my abilities, but i dont really know how to get in the game to get a job. i'm looking to eventually joining a pipe fitters union, but i need to get home and have a job so i can make money and start supporting myself. i've had jobs before, so i'm not totally unfamiliar with interviews and such, but that was mcdonalds and bullshit like that, and i dont ever wanna go back. i lived with my parents and still had barely enough to scrape by with insurance and other bills.. anyway i ramble alot, so basically i just would like some advice on how to find welding jobs in my area, and whats the best way to get that job once ive found it. my instructor here at job corps has been welding for like 25 years and she's awesome, she's totally supportive and does everything to help every one of her students to succeed. She's even on this forum, as romijo. she knows alot of people here around washington, and she says word of mouth is a great way to get a job in the welding community, but i live in idaho and she doesn't really have contacts there that could help me out. so i'm kinda starting blind here. im not even moving back to my hometown, i'm going somewhere new so i definitely dont have any contacts of my own that could point me in the right direction and give prospective employers a reccomendation. none of my family is in the industry either... sorry i know im rambling but i'm also trying to give enough information to breed responses that can really help me. so ya, would any of u have a story or advice from personal experience that could help me? anyone happen to be in pocatello idaho, or know people from there that would at least know where to start looking for a job? i know im a great welder who can learn new things quickly and i'll work my ass off when i get a job, but im not so cocky that i wont listen to other people so any advice will be appreciated.