General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
konstantin.neo
    Sun May 23, 2021 9:55 pm

Hi.
Im an amateur welder at best but this project isnt about welding but is about sourcing the best wire for the job.
I have been using tig filler rods ER308L in 3/32 and 1/16 for making wire keychains, its a decent alloy for the job with nice chromy look that can be polished.
Also my local wire supplier offered me some stainless 302 with high gloss in 0.080" wich looks good too.

The annoyance of filler rods is that stamping on the ends and its wasted. I browsed Lincoln filler catalog for coils of solid wire in 3/32 which they have in different alloys but i never saw them in person. Mainly im looking for a best looking wire that I can get polished. Diameters 1/16, 0.080 and 3/32. Lincoln coils are 55 pounds so its a bigger investment and I need to know what is the best option, upside is that I use the whole wire without waste.

Thing is that stainless solid filler wire is cheaper that the stainless wire sold from the provider.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

If you're goal is to have the "best looking" wire for your projects as you mentioned, then I'd think the best choice would be stock from a proper jeweler supply or something similar...would also probably come pre-polished in some cases. But of course you'll pay up for that either way.

If you're looking for the cheapest solution, then sounds like you've already found it in welding wire. But it could certainly have imperfections in it from the manufacturing process (scratches, dings, etc.) that may stand out when you go to polish it...because it's meant for welding, not for polishing.