General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

I don't think I'm unique in having a harder time seeing what I'm doing as I get older. Being a hobbyist and fairly new to welding I don't have years of experience behind me to compensate.

Anyway I have a Washington Alloy auto darkening helmet. My local welding supply suggested it as a decent budget helmet, I think it was about $130. Adjustable from 9-13 with grinding function, 4 sensors, and a fairly decent size view port so it isn't a bottom of the barrel helmet. I'm sure that it is simply a re-branded made in China helmet similar to the higher end helmets from Harbor Freight, Eastwood, Northern Tool etc.

I hear great things about the Lincoln 3350 helmets as having much better vision, and being reasonably priced ($250).

Before I get a bunch of suggestions for every-bodies favorite helmet, what I'm really looking for is a comparison with my helmet or at least something in the same class (price range). I don't mind paying $250-300 for a new helmet, but it has to provide significantly better vision for me. Other than wanting to see better I have no complaints with the helmet that I have, it does the job of protecting my eyes quite well, not been flashed once in the 2 years I've used it.

I've also thought about mounting some bright lights either to the helmet, or perhaps making some clip on stands for my table. As I get older I find there is no such thing as enough light when I'm working. $250 could buy a lot of lights.

There is a video posted not too long ago by Oscar showing 3 or 4 different hoods, one of them may be the 3350, have to try and find that.

In the mean time some things to try and improve the seeing is the lights as you suggested, also using reading glasses or the cheaters that can be inserted in a hood. Make sure the outside protective cover is clean and clear.
Richard
Website
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Hoods are like rifle scopes. Once you splurge on a top-of-the-line scope and stop using the budget scopes from Walmart, you'll see what you've been missing and never go back to the cheapies. It's all about the optics and that costs money. Money well spent.
Thatkid2diesel
    Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am

I personally have a 3M Speedglas 9100xxi, but that is closer to 400 than 300. I bought it because of the clarity and the sides have shade so it's kind of like a panoramic view. I to have heard good things about that Lincoln. 250-300 is a really good budget. The Miller digital infinity is a good option for some. Some like the Esab, but one of my reasons for not considering it was it is all touch screen style of controls. Seems like something easier to break.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
Thatkid2diesel
    Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:38 am

Spartan wrote:Hoods are like rifle scopes. Once you splurge on a top-of-the-line scope and stop using the budget scopes from Walmart, you'll see what you've been missing and never go back to the cheapies. It's all about the optics and that costs money. Money well spent.
I agree whole heartedly. I had a auto arc from TSC before my 9100xxi. One of the best decisions I've made. I instantly became a better welder no lie because I could finally see so much better.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hobart Ironman 210
Primeweld Tig225x
Primeweld 160st
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Aaron, like you I was always needing more light. I installed 4 LED tubes over my welding table, which is a help normally. Out of position welds left me in the dark again. I considered helmet mounted lighting.

Started looking at these new breed welding helmets and decided to upgrade. I went with the ArcOne Singles HD which is listed as high definition, true color and a light shade of 2.5. I mainly wanted it because of better hood down visibility. I was blown away by the improved optical clarity and seeing colors everywhere while welding. My stick and Tig welding instantly became much more enjoyable because I felt I could see everything. As long as I had my reading glasses on that is.

I'm sure all the new helmets from the top brands are excellent. I haven't tried enough to recommend anything in particular, but I think you'll enjoy an upgrade.

Kevin
Aaron W

I'm already doing some of those things, I wear cheaters under the hood and try to have a well lit work space although that could be improved. I think I will look into setting up some sort of portable lighting that can spotlight my work whether helmet mounted or something with a clamp or magnetic mount, lots of bright battery powered LED lights these days.

My main issue is during welding, as opposed to unshaded. Of course I just realized I'm dealing with some operator error as well. It seemed like on my most recent project I was having a lot more trouble than usual seeing what I was doing. Stupid me just realized I didn't adjust the shade. Prior project was a couple months ago in class, TIG welding aluminum, current project is MIG welding 1/8" steel. :oops:

I do intend to upgrade, just hate to spend the money and find it isn't much of an improvement. That Optrel looks very good, but $450-ish, worse is spending $250, the $300 and then $450 so I think I will do some more looking, see if I might be able to find someplace near me where I can try on a few and see with my own eyes.

Spartan wrote:Hoods are like rifle scopes. Once you splurge on a top-of-the-line scope and stop using the budget scopes from Walmart, you'll see what you've been missing and never go back to the cheapies. It's all about the optics and that costs money. Money well spent.
I have no doubt this is true, just a matter of priorities. If it was my job, I'd jump on that Optrel helmet without a second thought. I'm just an occasional hobby welder, so $400-500 for a helmet is a tougher sale to my wallet (I am an admitted miser ;) ).
Spartan

Aaron W wrote: I have no doubt this is true, just a matter of priorities. If it was my job, I'd jump on that Optrel helmet without a second thought. I'm just an occasional hobby welder, so $400-500 for a helmet is a tougher sale to my wallet (I am an admitted miser ;) ).
That Optrel Crystal 2.0 sure is nice, and I came dangerously close to buying one recently because my Viking 3350, although excellent as far as optics/clarity/functionality has never been too comfortable on my head for hours on end. Only reason I didn't get the Optrel is because at the last minute I was able to get the newest upgraded headgear for my Viking for free and it made a world of difference. No longer have any reason to get the Optrel, although I do believe that it is even better than the Viking in terms of optics based on reviews and comments here.

The Viking 3350 can be had for only about $175 if you find it on sale and with a rebate from Lincoln which does happen from time to time it seems. That's how I got mine, and that's about what I paid for it maybe 1.5 years ago. I lose track, but it was something like that. Definitely less than $200.

LtBadd wrote:There is a video posted not too long ago by Oscar showing 3 or 4 different hoods, one of them may be the 3350, have to try and find that.

In the mean time some things to try and improve the seeing is the lights as you suggested, also using reading glasses or the cheaters that can be inserted in a hood. Make sure the outside protective cover is clean and clear.
That video is a combination of 4 videos made by scsmith over on welding web. I just merged them together to make 1 video showing all 4 running simultaneously.

NMIBiLqBI0Qa

I have some crap to do tomorrow, but I'll see about making a short video with the Crystal 2.0 on Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Big change since I started welding back 1960's
I jumped for joy over gold lens
I only change to auto hood in 2017.

Great video
Dave

Oscar wrote:
LtBadd wrote:There is a video posted not too long ago by Oscar showing 3 or 4 different hoods, one of them may be the 3350, have to try and find that.

That video is a combination of 4 videos made by scsmith over on welding web. I just merged them together to make 1 video showing all 4 running simultaneously.

NMIBiLqBI0Qa

I have some crap to do tomorrow, but I'll see about making a short video with the Crystal 2.0 on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Jeff2016
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi,

I could be mistaken; but, one of the YouTube makers recently closed out one of his videos talking about his welding hood's capability for variable zoom. I've searched about a little but couldn't find anything in advertisements for new hoods.

I need to go back and look for that video again. In the meantime, I saw this thread and thought that I would mention it.

Besides lack of coordination, my eyesight is my limiting factor when welding. :D

Jeff

Never heard of that before.

That sounds like great hood.
I think price maybe very high.

Maybe we can get lucky and there is app just use a cell phone.

Dave
Jeff2016 wrote:Hi,

I could be mistaken; but, one of the YouTube makers recently closed out one of his videos talking about his welding hood's capability for variable zoom. I've searched about a little but couldn't find anything in advertisements for new hoods.

I need to go back and look for that video again. In the meantime, I saw this thread and thought that I would mention it.

Besides lack of coordination, my eyesight is my limiting factor when welding. :D

Jeff
Aaron W

Oscar wrote:

NMIBiLqBI0Qa

Thank you that is a great demonstration. Mine is better then the HF hood, but nowhere near as clear as the other 3. That Optrel clear is pretty amazing. $200 more than the Lincoln but it is getting harder to talk myself out of going there.

What is the deal with the split screen on the Lincoln helmet? Before striking an arc it looks normal, but once he started welding there is a distinct line down the middle of the screen. Only notice it on the Lincoln.

I did a few years ago was reading that you can video welding with out a filters.

Do try not try this one it maybe wrong and may damage your phone.

It may be coming I have no information.

Dave
Spartan

About a year ago I had heard murmurings of a development helmet that used video and a display screen. They didn't mention zoom, but that would certainly be a practical addition in a system like that.

Haven't heard another word about it, though. May be an idea that's ahead of its time and was just impractical to produce. I imagine even with the current technology that the helmet would be quite heavy compared to other helmets and probably quite expensive. I would think $1,000 bare minimum.

Spartan wrote:About a year ago I had heard murmurings of a development helmet that used video and a display and probably quite expensive. I would think $1,000 bare minimum.
It sounds about the starting.
But that price will not last long.
The electronic parts are very low cost from suppliers. We have give a little time and Harbor freight will have lower cost version. Something like gaming have playing games hoods.

Dave
Last edited by smithdoor on Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Error small keyboard.
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

@oscar Is this the Optrel you have?
https://www.tenaquip.com/product/crysta ... 711-optrel
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

DavidR8 wrote:@oscar Is this the Optrel you have?
That's the shell he has...but that doesn't look to have any lens and/or headgear in it.

What Oscar has is a complete helmet. ;)

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/crysta ... 709-optrel
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
DavidR8 wrote:@oscar Is this the Optrel you have?
That's the shell he has...but that doesn't look to have any lens and/or headgear in it.

What Oscar has is a complete helmet. ;)

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/crysta ... 709-optrel
That's what I thought.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

DavidR8 wrote:That's what I thought.
David,

What I don't get is why it's so expensive in Canada, that's US $730 and it sells for $429 in the US. :roll:

What type of helmet do you use?

I'm convinced that the Crystal 2.0 is probably about the best helmet you can buy, but I'm not convinced it will make me that much of a better tig welder, at least I don't believe it will mean that I can't be a great tig welder without it. I currently use a Miller Digital Elite, but not quite ready to drop $429 for another helmet that is better, when the one I have works pretty well. It is certainly no Harbor Freight welding helmet, that much is clear (for lack of a better analogy! :D).
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
DavidR8 wrote:That's what I thought.
David,

What I don't get is why it's so expensive in Canada, that's US $730 and it sells for $429 in the US. :roll:

What type of helmet do you use?

I'm convinced that the Crystal 2.0 is probably about the best helmet you can buy, but I'm not convinced it will make me that much of a better tig welder, at least I don't believe it will mean that I can't be a great tig welder without it. I currently use a Miller Digital Elite, but not quite ready to drop $429 for another helmet that is better, when the one I have works pretty well. It is certainly no Harbor Freight welding helmet, that much is clear (for lack of a better analogy! :D).

I have an older ESAB Origo Tech auto dark. It seems to work just fine 9bearing in mind that i came from a passive hood) it also cost me nothing as I won it in a golf tourney.

Yeah that's a completely ridiculous price. Best price I've found is $627 CDN. Still too rich for my tastes. The Lincoln is on sale locally for $360 so there's a possibility that I'll spring for that.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

Come to the USA buy it, and drive back while wearing it in the car. If they say anything at the border, say it's a driving helmet for safety. :)