General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Chris C
    Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:39 pm

I've got an Oxy/Acetylene rig. All of my stuff is Victor brand. I recently had my Oxy tank filled. Used it the other day with the rose bud tip to heat some steel. And now it's almost empty! :o When I open the master valve to the tank, I get a popping noise from the relief valve. Then when that stops, there is a continuous flow of Oxygen coming out of it. Obviously, something is wrong internally. Is this something that I can fix, or will it have to be taken in for repair.............or worse yet, will I have to replace the regulator?
Chris

I won't go anywhere God is not welcome.
varekai
    Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:03 pm

You could take it to your LWS and see if they can, or will have it rebuilt... good luck
Chris C

Was hoping someone might have experience with this problem and could tell me how to correct it..................without going to a repair shop.
Chris

TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

You could try to brush some soapy water around and see if you can see it leaking, but if the tank is empty you'll need to get it filled to figure out where the leak is. I would take it back to where you got the tank filled and have them check it for you. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Chris C

No problem locating the leak. As I said, it's leaking from the Regulators relief valve. It's not a problem of the tank. I found a Youtube video explaining the same problem (and the solution) I'm having and ordered a repair kit for $20. Even though I've not used it much, the Oxy/Acetylene rig is 25 years old, so I can't complain.

PROBLEM SOLVED FOR 20 BUCKS...............what a deal! :lol:
Chris

TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Chris C wrote:No problem locating the leak. As I said, it's leaking from the Regulators relief valve. It's not a problem of the tank. I found a Youtube video explaining the same problem (and the solution) I'm having and ordered a repair kit for $20. Even though I've not used it much, the Oxy/Acetylene rig is 25 years old, so I can't complain.

PROBLEM SOLVED FOR 20 BUCKS...............what a deal! :lol:
Probably a good deal for the oxygen, but for acetylene I would probably want a certified shop to do it...I'm sure it's not difficult to rebuild. Victor regulators are good, I have one on my propane forge.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan