General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Clifford
    Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I'm just starting as a hobby, using an old Wards AC/DC transformer. It's the only thing I've ever welded with but I have done some carbon steel projects that turned out OK. The amp adjustment mechanism on it is kind of crude and I look at some of these modern welders and it looks like a whole different world. My brother in law (who does not live in the area) has a Lincoln 210MP which he thinks is great and is into MIG and thinking about fiddling with TIG. What would be the equivalent Miller and ESAB models to the Lincoln and does anyone have any comments on which one is superior?
Thanks,
Clifford
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The comparable Miller would be the Multimatic 215. It does Stick, MIG, TIG and even aluminum via Spool Gun. It has dual gas port inlets on the back, variable input voltage, and is quite portable. I have its predecessor (the 200) which is comparable in size to the Lincoln, and love mine. I have used the 215 (a buddy bought it) and its as good if not slightly nicer than mine (interface updates and smaller size).

But, the Lincoln is a great machine and company. Esab, Miller and Lincoln are all fantastic products and likely you could never weld the difference between them, especially as a hobbyist. Check www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.com for model comparisons and pricing if you want to do some fact-based, side-by-side reviews of different machines.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

The Harbor Freight equivalent is worth considering as well.pretty decent unit for the price, especially when on sale.
3766_ITEM_OMNIPRO_220_INDUSTRIAL_MULTIPROCESS_WELDER_1568233612.1132.png
3766_ITEM_OMNIPRO_220_INDUSTRIAL_MULTIPROCESS_WELDER_1568233612.1132.png (235.2 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Multimatic 255

Louie1961 wrote:The Harbor Freight equivalent is worth considering as well.pretty decent unit for the price, especially when on sale.
3766_ITEM_OMNIPRO_220_INDUSTRIAL_MULTIPROCESS_WELDER_1568233612.1132.png
I was at a shop yesterday and noticed a guy TIG welding with the HF Vulcan and asked about it. He bought it 2 years prior, it is the 200 model and hasn't had any problems with it. This isn't an endorsement by me, just passing along what I heard. If I was considering this unit I may lean towards buying the extended warranty as well.
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Clifford, what is your budget for the machine alone?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I have a 210 mp and I agree it’s a solid performer. But if you want to tig aluminum then you’ll need a second machine. The real question is what’s your budget and your future uses/ expectations.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Clifford

I have around $1500.00 to spend.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Do you require mig as an option?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Clifford

Yes, at some point I want to get into MIG . I'm gathering that for lighter stuff and just more versatility and ease of application, MIG is something to have available. I only started with stick because that's the machine I ended up with. I hear if your passable at stick you won't have any trouble with MIG. TIG? I don't have any idea of it's applications.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Clifford wrote:Yes, at some point I want to get into MIG . I'm gathering that for lighter stuff and just more versatility and ease of application, MIG is something to have available. I only started with stick because that's the machine I ended up with. I hear if your passable at stick you won't have any trouble with MIG. TIG? I don't have any idea of it's applications.
Once you learn to watch/observe the puddle characteristics with stick, then that can translate over to MIG. It's all in the skill of the operator (so long as the project is within scope of the machine as well of course).
Clifford

I'm gathering that all these lower end multi process machines are like peas in a pod. I'm also gathering that stick is not their strong suit. Let's say I get a 210 MP or a Miller 215...will it do stick as well as my old 250 amp transformer? Might I be pleasantly surprised or will I go back to the old machine when I want to work with something thick/heavy? I'll never be fast, so I don't think duty cycle is a factor with me.
Thanks,
Cliff
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

I've stick welded on a miller 150stl, a lincoln 210mp, and transformer machines. I'd say that the inverters are very capable, I wouldn't worry about bad stick performance, you just need 240V. I would also be weary of 6010, but rods like 7018 and 6011 run fine.
Clifford

bap,
Now there's a coincidence. The brother in law that has the 210 MP that lives out of my area? He lives in Santa Cruz. Actually going over there for Thanksgiving and hopefully giving his machine a try.
Clifford
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Small world!

If I was around for TG I would say come on by and give the 150 a whirl. Maybe another time.

Definitely give the machine a try on 240V. I just realized I've used the Tig 200 AC/DC on stick not the 210MP, but I think they'd be pretty similar tbh.

The local welding shop in town is called Apex Welding Supplies if you need to pick up some rods. They are across the street from the Patagonia outlet on River.

Good luck in the search.
Clifford

Apex? Got it. Brother in law is probably familiar. Thank you, bap.
Clifford
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

Something to consider on the multi-process machines, both the Lincoln 210MP and Miller 215 require an additional TIG package which costs several hundred dollars. As they come they are MIG / Stick right around your $1500 budget. When you add the TIG package they are up around $2100. These machines are DC TIG only, so you can only TIG steel.

I was told you buy the TIG package with the machine, or everything individually later at a higher price. The TIG package is not available as a stand alone item.

Now stepping up a notch higher on the budget ladder there are a few multi-process AC/DC TIG machines, but you are well over your budget at around $3000. Miller has the Multimatic 220AC and ESAB has their EMP 205. Lincoln doesn't currently have one.
Aaron W
    Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

If you are primarily interested in TIG there are quite a few TIG / stick machines out there which might help you stay within budget better.

I have the Miller 220AC and I really like it, but I have a small shop where the compact size of a 3 in 1 welder is very valuable.

If space wasn't such a concern to me I think I probably could have gotten all three functions a little cheaper and more importantly spread over time by buying a TIG / stick and a separate MIG welder.

If MIG isn't of great interest something like a Miller Maxstar 161 TIG / stick machine costs less than either the Lincoln 210 or Miller 215 (without their TIG package), although still limited to DC TIG. There are also a bunch of cheap TIG / stick machines available from less well known manufacturers.