General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Hello welders,

I woke up this morning with a narly pain in my neck. if I try to do a chin tuck where I pull my head straight backwards, it hurts like crazy.

I was working till 11:30 PM last night, welding a tire rack together, I think I worked for 2 or 3 hours with my 2 pnd hood on only taking it off for small amounts of time.

I weld almost every day, sometimes all day long and I have never had anything like this before, could also be that I slept off but I doubt it, seems more like whenever I look up it hurts.

I googled welding neck pains to see if its common and seems like it happens to quite a few people, anybody have any advice? I am supposed to go back tonight and keep working on it but I can foresee it being fairly painful already as what I am building is taller than me and will require me looking up and down, sideways and around, on the floor doing overheat etc. etc.
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I always lube up my aches and pains with 90 proof alcohol...works wonders. :lol: People would be suprised how something as light as a welding helmet can cause pain when you wear it all day. Not really much advice from me other than when I am hurting, I dive into whatever I am doing and try to forget the pain.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote:I always lube up my aches and pains with 90 proof alcohol...works wonders. :lol: People would be suprised how something as light as a welding helmet can cause pain when you wear it all day. Not really much advice from me other than when I am hurting, I dive into whatever I am doing and try to forget the pain.
Haha, I am the same way, I Am sure I will forget all about it tonight when I go back and continue, until then I tried some heat & Ice lotion pain reliver bla. bla. that one of my co workers had, helped a little but as they say, fight fire with fire :lol:

I got a Titanium 9400I that puppy is 1.6 lbs....................... Sometimes I think goggles would be better, just not enough protection, especially not when doing overhead. Then this happens and I wonder again.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Position welding will often stress your body in funny angles that may leave you sore from time to time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Poland308 wrote:Position welding will often stress your body in funny angles that may leave you sore from time to time.
Ain't it the truth, and not just for welding. Recently my daughter commented about an early photo of my wife and I where I was seated and she stood behind. My daughter suggested that it should have been the other way round and therefore chauvinistic (she's a self appointed defender of the downtrodden minority and political correctness). I told her the photo was taken during the honeymoon and at that time I was too tired to stand and her mother was too sore to sit. :D
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:
Poland308 wrote:Position welding will often stress your body in funny angles that may leave you sore from time to time.
Ain't it the truth, and not just for welding. Recently my daughter commented about an early photo of my wife and I where I was seated and she stood behind. My daughter suggested that it should have been the other way round and therefore chauvinistic (she's a self appointed defender of the downtrodden minority and political correctness). I told her the photo was taken during the honeymoon and at that time I was too tired to stand and her mother was too sore to sit. :D

Haha that actually made me laugh out loud in my office! :lol: one of my co workers busted out laughing when I told him :lol: :lol:

I have done out of position TIG welding for hours breaking my back in bending over and around frames, ducking, kneeling, upside down (okay not really) and hunched over for hours. But its my arms, back, shoulder, legs and feet that get sore, never been my neck so I am a little more concerned.

I spoke to a couple of our chefs who pretty much are the best medics I know :lol: Told them what happened and they looked at me like I was crazy, ended off work at 11:30 PM, jumped in a pickup and was home 10 minutes later, then jumped in a cold shower to cool my overheated brain off and that was probably my mistake.
Poland308

Dehydration can give cramps too.

Josh
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Try some Blue Emu. I have heard a lot of people say it works and I even used it once on my shoulder and it helped a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Emu-Origina ... +emu&psc=1

Cool, I will have to get a jar of that stuff. Figured I might as well keep some with me in case it happens again, woke up this morning it was much better.

Someone else mentioned dehydration as a possibility so I tried to drink a lot more water while working last night, guess it worked a bit.
exnailpounder

It could be a tumor. :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:It could be a tumor. :lol:
Could be a lot of things, better get my will ready.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

It's not a tumor.
exnailpounder

:
weldin mike 27 wrote:It's not a tumor.
:lol: :lol:

weldin mike 27 wrote:It's not a tumor.
Oh good. I was starting to get worried.... :(
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I think one person in this conversation may not recognize the reference to Arnold in "Kindergarten Cop."

...and the little kid said, "Maybe it's a tumor"...

:lol:

Steve S

exnailpounder wrote:It could be a tumor. :lol:
I've heard it's also the first signs of ebola, then again it could be the result of alien abduction :lol:
Richard
Website
Poland308

Otto Nobedder wrote:I think one person in this conversation may not recognize the reference to Arnold in "Kindergarten Cop."

...and the little kid said, "Maybe it's a tumor"...

:lol:

Steve S
That's because he didn't type it with the accent.

Josh

Lol, I had no idea........

Being Danish has its downsides sometimes :lol:
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

had two neck surgeries got a cervical cage a c4/4 and plate 4 screws at c6/7 c4/5 and c5/6 fused naturally after the two surgeries i get neck pain alot. best thing to do is keep going don't stop.