General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

As I have started going to college during high school I'm starting to explore ways to carry essential tools. I purchased a "holster" and I carry a welders, 7 inch vise grip, sharpie, scribe, 25' tape measure, striker, and a 4" machinist square. Does anyone have anything to add or what is in your edc (every day carry) or what you hold hear tools in. It seems to me this is really helpful for a quick tool grab for most of what I need especially for mig welding.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Flashlight, mini channel locks, knife,
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Holden
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

I keep a knife, a pair of channel locks/pliers for moving hot metal, a tape and some sharpies/soap-stones in various pockets. I also keep a couple pairs, one shaded like sunglasses and one plain clear, of safety glasses around my neck.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Poland308 wrote:Flashlight, mini channel locks, knife,
@Poland308, are you talking about the little 4" Channel Locks...lol I have a pair I use more then Id admit. :mrgreen:
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Poland308

I like the knipex version. I keep breaking the Chanel lock brand ones.

Josh
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

About all I carry constantly fits in pockets.
A pen, a Sharpie, a flashlight, and a knife. Depending on the day's priorities, I may have my tape measure clipped to my pocket and a notepad.
My gangbox is on 8" casters, though, so once I've used the above I can drag my tools anywhere in the shop, and just roll over hoses and cords to get on with a task.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:My gangbox is on 8" casters, though, so once I've used the above I can drag my tools anywhere in the shop, and just roll over hoses and cords to get on with a task.

Steve S
8" casters! Holy cow, do you carry a step ladder to access the top drawer? :lol: Maybe even fend off gun fire behind that thing...
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LOL!

Actually they're 6" casters, but raise the box 8" overall.
Think 2X2X4 jobsite box. The 8" raise makes everything easier to reach, and the ease of movement is fabulous. I can pull my 300+ pounds of tools with one finger.

Steve S
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

I carry all my stuff in a cheap 3 gallon bucket from Home depot. Chipping hammer, half round bastard file, vice grips, wire brush, couple discs (zip, flap, grinding), ball peen, crescent wrench, sparker, square, and few other odds and ends (some spacers for 1/2" and such and some 3/32 tig filler to gap with). I'll switch stuff out depending on what I need for a job. Love the 3 gallon bucket because it holds a lot, easy to carry, and will fit in most lockers. If it breaks, i'm out maybe a couple bux.
Poland308

My job box has 16 inch tires and a v8. I just drive as close as posible. Then I'm stuck carrying it the rest of the way.

Josh
    Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 pm

In the shop i carry my knife, flashlight, pliers, marker, scribe, tape measure and center punch.

l had a friend make a pliers holster with a spot for a pen/scribe and center punch

PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Knee pads,wire brush, an 8" adjustable wrench, channel locks, a 2 lb. maul, wire cutters, a chipping hammer, a tri-square, tape measure, and you never know what else- in a bucket.

Thats my basic grab and go kit, but it all depends on what is expected of you.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

pairiewelder wrote:In the shop i carry my knife, flashlight, pliers, marker, scribe, tape measure and center punch.

l had a friend make a pliers holster with a spot for a pen/scribe and center punch

that thing is realy sweet.. kinda think i might have to see about getting something like that made.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.

I know the guy that makes them
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

pairiewelder wrote:I know the guy that makes them
what sort of money dose he want for them?
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.

70-80 dollars I think
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

If you see him you should ask if he can make those pouches without the side peice/where he gets them. My uncle wore his old pliers holder out and can't find a decent holder with a clip on to hold it in. Also does it have enough room for a plier and a 8"crescent wrench?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Wow, I feel like a loser here.

I just throw all my shit on the table and forget which pocket I put it in :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way