General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I have been using Barkeepers Friend on stainless welds to repassivate them for awhile now. I had some old copper laying around and tried BF on a greenie pad and OMG does it get copper clean. I have been using it on dirty aluminum also and it seems to really help take off the oxide layer and seems to help the weld. It's really incredible how it can clean up the dirtiest metal and its cheap. Just make sure to wipe it all off with acetone before welding.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Thanks for the tip Ex, bookmarked for future reference.
Richard
Website
KTMrider
    Wed May 25, 2016 10:44 pm

What type? Powder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

I'd imagine being the beer conosoirre, he'd likely be using the powder :) It really does great on stainless and most surfaces in general. It's kinda like Comet but way better and does more polishing which is why I think it just gives a better finish.

Still great idea Nailer ! I might give that a try on that nasty mill scale on steel and I've still got more Al and SS to do. There simply is no nice way to remove that steel mill scale crap that doesn't leave dust or black shit everywhere but maybe this will at least speed up the process...
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)