General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bobthetog
    Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 pm

If cellulose eletrodes get to dry you wont get a forcefull arc. Dipping them in water adds hydrogen which will create a more aggresive arc. It will not effect the weld properties, I have done many x ray welds using this trick.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Nice to know my teacher wasnt a complete whacko. Old crusty and mean but not a whacko.

Mick

I was sitting in the local bar one night years ago in Northern California, and one of the local boys came in being led by another guy. His eyes were bandaged and his face was a little red. Seems he was working for the local water well driller and had neglected to wear his hood while welding the cap on a 6" casing. They took him to the doctor, he got some ointment and eye bandages and was fine in about 3 days. As far as I know, he sustained no lasting eye damage.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

Greg From K/W wrote:Stainless Really? Why is that? Is it toxic as well? Please explain.
Not only Hex Chromium but a lot of people are allergic to nickel.
I worked with a fabricator that would break out in a nasty rash if he worked
with stainless, Inconel, Monel, Nickel-copper, cuprinickel, etc.
After about a week he looked like he'd been rolling around in poison oak!

They moved him to the shop that did mostly aluminum!
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

the myth that welding while wearing contact lenses would cause them to melt to the eyes hung around for years. i can't remember the last time i heard it though so maybe it's finally laid to rest.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll say this on contact-lenses... They don't like dusty environments. If you use a grinder/wire-wheel to prep/feather/finish your welds (as opposed to it being the helper's job while you're drinking coffee), you'd best wear "foggles" under your grinding shield. But, no, contact lenses are just fine when welding. Even the previosly mentioned "no-hood" idiot would not be harmed more than he already was by wearing contacts.

Steve S
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

I got one welders with brown eyes don't get welders flash I have brown eyes and have never gotten it and every body that I've know to get welders flash has had blue eyes , not that I know a lot of full time welders
Thanks
Ryan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I have brown eyes, and I've seriously hurt from flashburn.

I won't claim blue eyes are or are not more sensitive, but I assure you, brown is not "protected".

Steve S
MillwrightRWG
    Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

Ok that one is busted , maybe its because I have glasses with some built on uv protection .
Thanks
Ryan
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

MillwrightRWG wrote:I got one welders with brown eyes don't get welders flash I have brown eyes and have never gotten it and every body that I've know to get welders flash has had blue eyes , not that I know a lot of full time welders
Thanks
Ryan
Wedgwood blue eyes here and i got some good (???) flash-burns when i was starting out so i'd say the lighter eyed welder is just as susceptible to flash as opposed to my darker eyed brothers. another myth BUSTED. i'm wondering about the guy with one blue eye and one brown?? lol