General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

exnailpounder wrote: the fags in her office get manicures and pedicures.

You ever shake their hands? All squishy. My wifes co-workers like to do that aggressive business guy type of handshake. I just smile and give them a little tweak while saying "Oops.". The wife just laughs and says under her breath- "don't be a d*%ck!".
    Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm

Funny...you shake their hand and the verdict is in. "No honey, were not gonna hang out, hes a Eunuch and there wont be anything to talk about. Sorry, try other couple. Ill try i swear"
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Yeah I get the butch handshake from the "males" in the office when I go see the wife. Normally their hands are sweaty and stink like cologne. Mine are dry and cracked with dirt impregnated into the cracks and stained black. Her office manager is cool but he hates when I come down there and ask if I can have a pen...I usually grab the whole cup full and walk out :lol: I could never see myself sitting behind a desk and wearing faggy clothes every day. I'd rather eat dirt every day and be a man.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Yeah I get the butch handshake from the "males" in the office when I go see the wife. Normally their hands are sweaty and stink like cologne. Mine are dry and cracked with dirt impregnated into the cracks and stained black. Her office manager is cool but he hates when I come down there and ask if I can have a pen...I usually grab the whole cup full and walk out :lol: I could never see myself sitting behind a desk and wearing faggy clothes every day. I'd rather eat dirt every day and be a man.
Feel the same way and have actually eaten dirt. A lot of it. A lot with oil mixed with it. Like this summer when I got my uncles tractor stuck in gear. (crap happens do not judge me). As I was trying to figure out how in the hell to detach the shiftter from the tranny my uncle was doing stuff and when my head turned to unstrain my neck a mouthful of oily dirt because why not build something that does not leak or that might last. This lack of education in some engineers and wearing those clothes exnail mentioned is yet again just more reasons to not be an engineer but a welder.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Yeah I get the butch handshake from the "males" in the office when I go see the wife. Normally their hands are sweaty and stink like cologne. Mine are dry and cracked with dirt impregnated into the cracks and stained black. Her office manager is cool but he hates when I come down there and ask if I can have a pen...I usually grab the whole cup full and walk out :lol: I could never see myself sitting behind a desk and wearing faggy clothes every day. I'd rather eat dirt every day and be a man.
Feel the same way and have actually eaten dirt. A lot of it. A lot with oil mixed with it. Like this summer when I got my uncles tractor stuck in gear. (crap happens do not judge me). As I was trying to figure out how in the hell to detach the shiftter from the tranny my uncle was doing stuff and when my head turned to unstrain my neck a mouthful of oily dirt because why not build something that does not leak or that might last. This lack of education in some engineers and wearing those clothes exnail mentioned is yet again just more reasons to not be an engineer but a welder.
:lol: If anyone hasn't tried syphoning gas and got a good mouthful and swallowed a little...you haven't lived yet. I think we are participants in life, not spectators like the metrosexuals. These bitches today can't even change a damned burnt out headlight...where did the train go off the tracks?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Buddy of mine took me along to buy a leftover metro sexual 4X4. All sorts of crome and jacked up but never had seen anything but dust from car in front of him. I popped the hood and saw some wet looking stuff along the head gasket. Didn't think twice I swiped it with my finger and licked it to see if it was oil or antifreeze. Dude selling the truck turned green and dry heaved. I told my buddy head gaskets leaking antifreeze don't buy it unless he knocks off $. Stupid guy had no clue. Went into panick mode and started asking if we thought he could even drive it home safely.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

Poland308 wrote:Buddy of mine took me along to buy a leftover metro sexual 4X4. All sorts of crome and jacked up but never had seen anything but dust from car in front of him. I popped the hood and saw some wet looking stuff along the head gasket. Didn't think twice I swiped it with my finger and licked it to see if it was oil or antifreeze. Dude selling the truck turned green and dry heaved. I told my buddy head gaskets leaking antifreeze don't buy it unless he knocks off $. Stupid guy had no clue. Went into panick mode and started asking if we thought he could even drive it home safely.
:lol: I ate a baby frog sitting in a goose blind in Iowa for no good reason and our guide almost puked.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Loving these stories.

Can's say I've eaten any baby frogs, Exnail...but regarding the 'metrosexuals' talk, if you guys saw me you'd very likely write me off. I am a creative director and I work in film, documentary, marketing, surrounded by hipsters and soft-handed agency types.

I guess I am an unusual hybrid. That guy who is behind a desk or on a film shoot by day, then up to my ears in grinding, welding, motorcycle parts and fabrication after hours. It can be hard to find any common ground when it comes to workplace chat. Most of the people I work with talk about film, character development and organic gardening. I talk argon, the safety squint and how to cut an extra second off my lap times.

It's not really a problem but the one concession is that I often wear nitrile workshop gloves, just to save me having to scrub my hands until they bleed in order to get the dirt off so I don't have filthy hands in meetings. Proud to say that my mitts are still covered in callouses, burns and scars though, and I have enough grip strength to crush a hipster's handshake like a box of kiddie chalk.

Kym
exnailpounder

MosquitoMoto wrote:Loving these stories.

Can's say I've eaten any baby frogs, Exnail...but regarding the 'metrosexuals' talk, if you guys saw me you'd very likely write me off. I am a creative director and I work in film, documentary, marketing, surrounded by hipsters and soft-handed agency types.

I guess I am an unusual hybrid. That guy who is behind a desk or on a film shoot by day, then up to my ears in grinding, welding, motorcycle parts and fabrication after hours. It can be hard to find any common ground when it comes to workplace chat. Most of the people I work with talk about film, character development and organic gardening. I talk argon, the safety squint and how to cut an extra second off my lap times.

It's not really a problem but the one concession is that I often wear nitrile workshop gloves, just to save me having to scrub my hands until they bleed in order to get the dirt off so I don't have filthy hands in meetings. Proud to say that my mitts are still covered in callouses, burns and scars though, and I have enough grip strength to crush a hipster's handshake like a box of kiddie chalk.

Kym
Hey Kym...Sometimes you can look at a person and see that they took the hard road but are proud of that. Thats judging the book by it's cover. I have seen guys that...well...I wouldn't want to go camping with...show an astounding talent and interest in metal arts. My tattoo artist looks like a total homo but he is a genius at machining,,,People look at me and maybe think that I am some radical biker/outlaw...the truth is I am a bird watcher, photographer and I like cats now..lol I bet we would be good buds! And anyone that climbs into their skanky ass leathers to road race motorcycles has all my respect!
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

exnailpounder wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:Loving these stories.

Kym
Hey Kym...Sometimes you can look at a person and see that they took the hard road but are proud of that. Thats judging the book by it's cover. I have seen guys that...well...I wouldn't want to go camping with...show an astounding talent and interest in metal arts. My tattoo artist looks like a total homo but he is a genius at machining,,,People look at me and maybe think that I am some radical biker/outlaw...the truth is I am a bird watcher, photographer and I like cats now..lol I bet we would be good buds!

Holy crap Exxy, I'm a bird nerd too...plus studied photography and have two cats, Turbo and Dexter. I can feel an online Man Hug coming on! ;)

Kym
exnailpounder

LOL...I have mommy cat and mambo lips...my cats...I have Rocco and Gracie, my dogs...We have spiders and fish and we are total nerds...I guess no matter how far apart we are...we are all the same.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

kitty.jpg
kitty.jpg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 981 times
:)
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman

Here's what me an my two killers think of cats
dy1.jpg
dy1.jpg (54.17 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Farmwelding

Coldman wrote:
kitty.jpg
:)
How the hell did you get that on let alone off. That ain't even worth it at that point to me.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
Coldman

That's not me. I was taking piss. That's what I do.

Now who was I taking the piss from? Its gone very quiet.
Witty response comin, I can feel it.
exnailpounder

Coldman wrote:That's not me. I was taking piss. That's what I do.

Now who was I taking the piss from? Its gone very quiet.
Witty response comin, I can feel it.
Here I am! I looked like that when i was 5.. :lol: .how old is that picture...hope you got laid :lol:
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

That dude would surely get laid, many times I imagine.

Especially around a place called Darlinghurst here in Sydney.

Probably wouldn't be able to sit down for a week though......
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Coldman

Ooh ouch.
No I didn't. Just beer and memories for me these days.

Sent using Tapatalk
exnailpounder

Rupes wrote:That dude would surely get laid, many times I imagine.

Especially around a place called Darlinghurst here in Sydney.

Probably wouldn't be able to sit down for a week though......
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

It's getting weird around here. I'm not sure if I'm on the right forum anymore.

Side note, Cats? I like cats. They taste good with black pepper and garlic, over noodles.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Farmwelding wrote:

Hey! I was one of those engineers, but there is a reason for the "WAS".
doc58
    Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:11 am

Well, that all escalated quickly :lol:
Doc

weldcorp intelliweld 80
CIGWeld Weldskill 130
TL-WM 130 flux core welder
Coldman

Yer, a bit of smart ass gone wild. Think I'll concentrate on the welding for a while till the next full moon.

Sent using Tapatalk
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Ok, lets get back on topic. :lol:

I was always the person even at a very young age that would take everything apart to see how it worked. I would fix the old lawn mower that sat in the garage for 10 years that my dad got from my uncle. 2 stroke rotary self propelled even. I would grab the broken bike from the trash down the road and fix it and have a free bike. I picked up a riding lawn mower frame and wheels from the trash but was never able to (lack of funds) get an engine and centrifugal clutch or the way to mount it.This was when I was just a kid. In high school I don't remember taking a welding shop class. I do remember riding motorcycles off road with street bikes too. Once I hit 16 years old I bought my sisters car because it has a blown head gasket and she gave me a deal. I fixed it with some advice from my dad, especially where I learned about "easy outs" when an exhaust manifold bolt broke off inside the head. Once I got a real job a co-worker taught be how to braze. He was a certified welder that built or helped build submarines so I trusted his teaching. At the same job (machine rebuild and repair) I learned how to weld among machining and overhead crane operation. Just stick welding but it came natural. Then after moving on to another job after getting married etc I was working in the maintenance department but just in charge of plant maintenance and keeping various equipment running in a 24 hour plant. There was a tool and die guy that I hung out with and watched him work where he repaired molds used in the manufacture of plastic bottles. He was the machinist with a few others for the 3 shifts. He was the smartest one too. Whenever he would weld aluminum or other stuff in the back I would see this strange blue glow that was different that arc welding so I quickly became interested. There was an old heliarc machine that looked complicated with all the knobs and tanks of gas and a foot pedal etc and I wanted IN! I asked him some questions and told him I wanted to learn how to do that (weld aluminum). Of course this play time was when the plant was running well but everyone knew where to find me. I think he was trying scare me off (maybe not) but he told me the best way to learn aluminum welding was to weld two pieces of 1 1/2" thin walled aluminum tubing together and he gave the filler and adjusted the machine (I think) and left. It was the same aluminum tubing used on old vacuum cleaners for the attachment holder. He warned me that the aluminum would turn into liquid like water and you had to know when to start adding filler. I still think it was a setup. Surprisingly I did it and he was surprised. I remember having so much fun back there with tig welding that I got a nasty UV burn on my arms too. I ended up buying and old Miller Swinger 180 AC buzz box from the plant and built a trailer to haul firewood. Been hooked since. :D Just a hobbyist too.

Pic of me testing one of my welds... :o :shock: 8-) :lol: :D
welder1.jpg
welder1.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 1071 times
Farmwelding

I guess that is one way to test a weld. I mean it is certainly cheaper then a 20 ton press.
Nick