General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Curious George
    Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum here. A little background first.

Years ago, I used to do a lot of work with my hands (race engines, chassis) but for many years now, my job has been at a desk. I've missed the sounds, smells, sweat, feeling of actually having accomplished something at the end of the day, etc. I also now have a 3yr old son. The past year or so, I've managed to setup some shop space in the garage and some friends and I always seem to be working on some small project or another.

This is all great, but my son wants to join us and is fascinated by welding. The light, sounds, and smells have acquired another soul :)

My question is this... where can I find child sized gear for him? Helmet, gloves, stuff like that? I want to teach him, but mom (quite rightly) is worried that he'll stare at the light or grab some hot metal (and a million other things too).

Anybody have any suggestions for child sized gear?

Thanks
-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi, George,

There's little to nothing made in welding safety gear for children, however...

Look for a local support group for adults with dwarfism. They will likely be a great resource for safety items in small sizes.

I've never pursued this, as my grandkids would rather fish than weld, but I know that, since dwarfism is covered under the ADA, there must be sources for appropriately sized gloves, hoods, leathers, etc. to suit folk with the various types of dwarfism, some of which mimic the size of a young child.

Another thought... Look up your local welding-related trade unions. These folk are all about getting the kids involved early, and might be able to help you out.

I think it's wonderful that you want to get your son involved, and I hope you find what you need to accomplish it safely.

I'll edit in a postscript. Sunblock. I use SPF45 or better when I weld, often in short sleeves. A young'un is more sensitive than us geezers to the UV from a welding arc, so some sunblock is never a bad idea.

Steve
rankamateur
    Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:49 am

I have a daughter that had to come to the shop with me when I worked weekends from the ages of 5-7. Single dad pro-tip: if you put your kid in WAY oversized arc gloves, like the women's smalls, it cuts WAY down on how much stuff they pick up. Also, if you get farrier's aprons, you can cut those things five ways from Sunday and they still strap down tight and do the job. As far as work shirts, go to the local tractor supply and get the tyke some of those flannel shirts. Tractor Supply and Wal-Mart out here both also carried leather workboots in their sizes. My daughter ran a Miller flip hood. We cranked it all the way down, then put some of those foam cushions you can get for the back of the millers on the front and back of the headgear and with a bandana, it fit her great! Otto's tip about sunblock is solid gold, too. If they are just wanting to watch a little and not get up-close and personal, some translucent welding screens may be the ticket, that's how my niece prefers to "help".

A word about safety - make sure if you are welding there is someone else there that can at least keep an eye on the little one. I think one of the worst feelings in the world for me was when I ran a joint and looked up to see my daughter had flipped up her hood and was just watching. In our shop now, unless we are helping people under seven weld, it is policy to have someone right with them, with a hold on their apron string and a hand on the hood to keep them from flipping up. I'm lucky we work in a family company so we get to make rules like that!

Best of luck with it, you'll have the little tyke passing the 6g by the time he's eight, then you start a family company and sit back and rake in the dough!
Curious George
    Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Those are some great ideas! I'll be off to investigate those asap.

I'm not about to hand him the torch just yet, I'm comfortable with just having him there and watching, but soon enough I know he'll want to try his hand at it.
Its just father/son time right now but I might as well instill the safety aspect as early as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
-- If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
RobertRichards
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Before you are going to do some welding works, make sure that you do wear a complete safety gear. This will help you to get rid of any accidents.

Locksmith
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to say that not only do you have to be careful with kids watching welding arcs, dogs too will sit for hours watching you weld almost mesmerized by the arc light. Please make sure that your dog is out of the area when you are welding.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder