General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rjm
  • rjm
    Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi all,

When I opened one of Jody's newsletters this ad popped up in Google. I normally ignore them but it was welding related. I've never heard of them and wonder is anyone is familiar with it? Basically it does everything, cuts, welds, replaces an oxy torch, sounds too good to be true, and I didn't really look at it.

http://www.multiplaz.com/

Just curious. I have no affiliation, just learning how to weld again. Ever seen it?

Cheers,

Riley
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There is an extensive thread on the subject... Use the "search" feature.

WerkSpace ordered one after using a friends' unit.

I've yet to see a real appraisal here though.

I've been dubious about it from the beginning, but I've been welding for almost 30 years, and as a reflex doubt claims like this.

WerkSpace, What say you?

Steve S.
rjm
  • rjm

Thanks Steve, my reflex is about the same about claims like the muliplaz. I should have searched first here. Interesting discussion, will read the rest soon. I just ordered an Everlast SC50--a hobbyist plasma, but I'm a hobbyist. I have done some stick welding in a boiler room, tho. Long time ago. I'm making a homebrew setup, slowly, and need to cut some ss kegs and using a grinder or saw didn't sound fun. Anyway, just ordered the sucker, clicked on Jody's email, and that ad popped up! I have an older Maxstar 140 stick/tig to put things together with, so the expense of the everlast combo didn't appeal to me. Like you, or werkspace, or both, I'm a bit shy of combo stuff anyway.

Best,

Riley
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi Riley,

I bought the MultiPlaz and the Everlast PP205 Combo welder at the same time. I haven't had a lot of time to play with them but I have tested them both. In regards to the MultiPlaz welder/cutter, it does work but it has some limitations. The plasma cutter is not very fast but it does cut very effectively.

The system works by creating an arc between the nozzle and an internal cathode. This arc heats up the nozzle which heats up a copper tube called an evaporator. The evaporator heats up the three ounces of water inside the reservoir. Plasma is the fourth state of matter. (solid, liquid, gas, super-heated gas=plasma) So, what happens is the water becomes steam and this steam is forced out the nozzle but it first has to pass thru the arc between the cathode and nozzle. This creates plasma. I have never seen water come out the nozzle once the machine is running. What you see is an extremely hot flame.

There are two modes of welding with this machine. The first, is a sort of flame welding similar to oxy/acetylene welding. The second, is called mode II, when you are performing an arc weld while using the mode I, as a shielding gas. This is very similar to TIG welding but without any tungsten. The only consumables are water, the nozzle and the cathode. The nozzle and cathode last a considerable amount of time. The three ounces of water lasts 20 minutes and the unit can be refueled by putting the nozzle into a cup of water when you shut it down.

Lots of people on this forum just don't get it, but I have nothing to sell to you. My interest in all of this, is that I love new technology and new ideas. If I see a product that I think that is worthwhile investing in, I put my money down and take the risk. My suggestion to you, is to do what I did. Find someone who has this welder and go and try it out for yourself. If you are satisfied with what it can do, then you make an informed decision and decide for yourself whether or not, it might be something that you can use.

I like the idea of its portability. It requires no compressor or gas cylinders for its operation. The fuel that it uses to create the heat is water and electricity. It's relatively fuel efficient and does not give off any harmful fumes unless you choose to use fluxes for aluminum, etc. The first thing that I notice when using it, is that I don't require much in the way of ventilation. I really like the way that it welds and it puts out a lot of heat for such a compact unit. As far as plasma cutting goes, it is not as good of a plasma cutter as the Everlast product but it does get the job done. BTW - I really like my Everlast Combo unit.

BTW - Sorry for not getting back to you right away, I was visiting the Boeing factory in Everett, WA yesterday. Lots of technology to check out.
rjm wrote:Thanks Steve, my reflex is about the same about claims like the muliplaz. I should have searched first here. Interesting discussion, will read the rest soon. I just ordered an Everlast SC50--a hobbyist plasma, but I'm a hobbyist. I have done some stick welding in a boiler room, tho. Long time ago. I'm making a homebrew setup, slowly, and need to cut some ss kegs and using a grinder or saw didn't sound fun. Anyway, just ordered the sucker, clicked on Jody's email, and that ad popped up! I have an older Maxstar 140 stick/tig to put things together with, so the expense of the everlast combo didn't appeal to me. Like you, or werkspace, or both, I'm a bit shy of combo stuff anyway.

Best,

Riley
Last edited by WerkSpace on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjm
  • rjm

There are two modes of welding with this machine. The first, is a sort of flame welding similar to oxy/acetylene welding. The second, is called mode II, when you are performing an arc weld while using the mode I, as a shielding gas. This is very similar to TIG welding but without any tungsten.
Thanks WorkSpace! Makes sense, although using a plasma as a shield gas is a little surprising. I'd think the ionized oxygen, or even the hydrogen, from the water wouldn't work well, but that's just a gut feel. I'll check it out further. I take it it can weld Al, so I might need it something like that down the road. I have OA, though I've never tried al with it.

Thanks again for all the info!

Best,

Riley

Thanks for the review, WerkSpace,

I'd been wondering how satisfied you were once you'd been able to give it a real workout. It sounds like my initial skepticism was misplaced.

If they do well with this version, the "2.0" should be even better, maybe resolving your "limitations" with this one.

If I didn't say it before (I'm not sure I did) I apologize for my initial reaction. As the MultiPlaz topic was my introduction to you, I made the mistake of assuming you had something to sell.

How's the Zenair project coming?

Steve S.

Steve,

I think that the reason that the MultiPlaz cutter is slower than a traditional compressed gas plasma cutter, is that the MultiPlaz is relying purely on the pressure of the steam prior to it becoming plasma (superheated gas). If there were more pressure from the steam, then I am sure that it would cut much faster, like a traditional plasma cutter.

I can see a niche market for this type of welder as a hobbyist, artist, farmer or low production manufacturing operation.

On the welding side of things, I like fusion welding with it as it has substantial penetration. This welder scares me sometimes as to what it is capable of doing. When you see a small, light weight, orange, metal box and a plastic torch body, it appears to be a bit of a toy. Then, when you fire it up, you soon realize that this is not a toy and you gain an immediate respect for it. It generates a lot of controllable heat.

I also like the way that it generates its own illumination (like a flashlight) while welding. You can weld in absolute darkness with this welder. At night, I aim the torch at the inverter box to see the buttons for the settings. The illumination effect is coming from the arc inside the nozzle and it casts a light beam quite far.

PS: As for the Zenair, its slow going. The new woman in my life is taking up most of my time.
Otto Nobedder wrote:Thanks for the review, WerkSpace,

I'd been wondering how satisfied you were once you'd been able to give it a real workout. It sounds like my initial skepticism was misplaced.

If they do well with this version, the "2.0" should be even better, maybe resolving your "limitations" with this one.

If I didn't say it before (I'm not sure I did) I apologize for my initial reaction. As the MultiPlaz topic was my introduction to you, I made the mistake of assuming you had something to sell.

How's the Zenair project coming?

Steve S.

Riley,

OA works great on aluminum. Lower your pressures to 4psi. If you need more heat, go for a bigger tip but keep the pressures low or you will blow a hole in the puddle. Aluminum is almost like welding plastic. Get yourself a gold film shade for your goggles to see thru the orange flare. The gold film shades are common now and relatively inexpensive. And don't forget your flux, you gotta have good flux.

Aluminum has a hard oxide layer on top. When you weld it, the aluminum underneath the oxide layer will melt first. With a good shade, you will see the oxide layer skin as the aluminum underneath melts first. This is when you should push your flux coated rod into the puddle and start your weld. It takes practice but it isn't rocket science. Keep the heat controlled by moving it in or out as required.

I tend to weld in small circles for everything. I like pushing the puddle around to see how deep the penetration is. OA aluminum welding makes a nice soft, malleable weld. Be careful when trying to weld tempered aluminum like 6061-T6 as you will lose the temper in the heat affected zone. You will see this when you try to bend your coupon. It will be stiff everywhere except near your weld.

Watch the movie http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_wel ... uminum.htm
rjm wrote:
There are two modes of welding with this machine. The first, is a sort of flame welding similar to oxy/acetylene welding. The second, is called mode II, when you are performing an arc weld while using the mode I, as a shielding gas. This is very similar to TIG welding but without any tungsten.
Thanks WorkSpace! Makes sense, although using a plasma as a shield gas is a little surprising. I'd think the ionized oxygen, or even the hydrogen, from the water wouldn't work well, but that's just a gut feel. I'll check it out further. I take it it can weld Al, so I might need it something like that down the road. I have OA, though I've never tried al with it.

Thanks again for all the info!

Best,

Riley
Last edited by WerkSpace on Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Many of our mothers and grandmothers welded Al with OA during WWII. Think P-51 fuel tanks. "Rosie the Riviter" was alliterative, but didn't begin to describe the skills women took on during the war.

It's like riding a bicycle. You're going to fall on your face a few times, but once you've got it, you've got it forever (or until your eyes go... ;) )

Steve S.

I've been doing more research on the MultiPlaz welder/cutter. They are not the first to invent this technology. It has been around for a while but they were the first to make a small, portable, self-contained welder/cutter that uses no air compressor or gas cylinders. The device is very unique and it has excellent penetration. As I stated before, I like fusion welding with it the most. The lack of fumes and no need for much ventilation is a real bonus.

The MultiPlaz is nothing more than a 'Steam Plasma' torch.

It was shown that the steam arc provides more energy for the same arc current level than the arcs generated in the gases due to higher arc voltage. The energy involved into the cutting process under studied conditions was the highest also for steam. http://ispc20.plasmainstitute.org/my_is ... rs/154.pdf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5KQXdJcqA
http://www.axson.se/pdf/fro_pre_transcut300_eng.pdf
http://weldingdesign.com/operations/new ... asma-0401/

While the 'Steam Plasma' welder/cutter may not be for everyone, it's an interesting alternative to paying for fuels and compressed gases. The technology is not perfect but it does have several advantages. It's clean burning and it reaches very high temperatures with an amazing low cost of operation. I like that. It has my attention.
http://www.plasma-air.de/Steam_Plasma_Burner_-2-91.htm
http://www.svarka-rezka.com.ua/eng/documents/about.html
Last edited by WerkSpace on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
rjm
  • rjm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Many of our mothers and grandmothers welded Al with OA during WWII. Think P-51 fuel tanks. "Rosie the Riviter" was alliterative, but didn't begin to describe the skills women took on during the war.

It's like riding a bicycle. You're going to fall on your face a few times, but once you've got it, you've got it forever (or until your eyes go... ;) )

Steve S.
Steve and werkspace--what goggles/lenses would you recommend? I looked at the tin man http://www.tinmantech.com/html/tm2000.php ones, which seem a bit pricey. I'd like to just find something I could put in my existing goggles or helmet.

Thanks!

Riley
rjm
  • rjm

WerkSpace wrote:I've been doing more research on the MultiPlaz welder/cutter. They are not the first to invent this technology. It has been around for a while but they were the first to make a small, portable, self-contained welder/cutter that uses no air compressor or gas cylinders. The device is very unique and it has excellent penetration. As I stated before, I like fusion welding with it the most. The lack of fumes and no need for much ventilation is a real bonus.
Interesting stuff. When v2 comes out I'm going to take a very hard look at it.
WerkSpace wrote:This is going to sound way off topic, but this 'Steam Plasma' welder/cutter is starting to sound more and more like Jean-Louis Naudin's cold fusion experiments in France. http://jlnlabs.online.fr/cfr/index.htm
This sounds more likely, concludes "Send Money": http://www.physforum.com/index.php?show ... 8862&st=90 ;)

Best,

Riley

Riley, I've never tried the Kent White's overpriced shades but I've heard that they are good.

I use a 'Gold plated' polycarbonate lens for gas welding aluminum and it works great and its very affordable.
I've heard the horror stories of getting scratches in the plating but I simply use a clear polycarbonate cover.

Billbong
    Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:28 am

Hi all, this is my first post as I usually post on the Hobart website but got shot down in flames there for posting my "like it very much" experiences of the 'Plaz....which I also own, so I can say I know what I'm talking about from 1st hand experience.

I saw the Multiplaz while browsing Ebay, as a side add, and got interested in the aspect of plasma welding.

I already have a full stick, Mig and Tig welding outfit, but the No Argon welding method of the 'Plaz interested me, so I browsed for a dealer and went for a hands on demo at our local supplier.

Long story short, I was so wowed by the capabilities of the unit I just had to have one......that was a year ago......now with a year of useage it's the only welding tool I want to use.

I will admit it takes using to get to know the characteristics of the mode 1 and 2 settings.

The very bright side is this, it will weld any metal without distortion and without prior Vee prepping as is required in normal stick or Mig welding.

I liken it to a super power Tig welder, but without having Tungstens or Argon to spoil the fun.

You can weld two pieces of steel together with a side by side butt weld, no clamping, no vee prep AND NO PRIOR CLEANING of the weld zone....this takes some understanding.......the plasma flame that comes out of the tip is at 8,000 deg C and it removes any surface contaminents like oil, paint, rust etc.......they just cremate and powder up and blow away.

Normally with a stick weld you have to vee out the weld seam and clamp the two pices or else they bend up as the weld contracts as it cools, introducing massive internal streses that get locked up in the seam, leading to cracking and weld failure.

This is not a problem with fusion welding methods like gas, Tig or the Plasma....the weld seam is melted together and forms a completely homogeneous weld zone using very little filler to top up the weld seam.....most of the weld zone is parent metal itself.

It cost a bit, A$2,000 in Australia, but I think it was worth it.
Ian.
Last edited by Billbong on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billbong

Hi all again, on the topic of a welding shield with the Multiplaz, I finally had to use my full face grinding shield with a #5 dark shade in place of the clear one......the brazing goggles they said I could use gives you no face protection from sparks, and you do get a few sparks when doing steel.

In addition I have to use close up reading glasses, #3 diopte, to see the weld zone, and the full face shield gives complete freedom to wear them.

My beloved Auto darkening welding helmet is of no use with plasma welding, same when you are doing brazing......the Auto dark shield won't darken down as there is no arc to make it do so...the arc's happening inside the nozzle.

It works for me, and that's the important bit.

If anyone's interested I'll post a few pics of my "best" welds...LOL.
Ian.

Billbong,

I've had a similar experience on the Hobart forum. Their loss I guess... They don't want to experience anything new in their lives.

I live for new Technology and investigate it as best that I can. The MultiPlaz is very unique and as more people get to try it out, it will become part of the future of the welding industry. It has its limitations as does any other type of welder but it definitely has its usefulness at the same time. I do like the way that it fusion welds without beveling. It has excellent penetration.

BTW - I've never been to FabTechExpo and might make the trip to Vegas this Nov 12-14 to check it out.
It sounds like fun. http://www.fabtechexpo.com/
Billbong

Hi Werkspace, I got shot down in flames big time on both the Hobart Weld talk site and the Welding Web site when I tried to show the results of my first test pieces.....they closed the thread down, locked it closed.

I went to great lengths to point out that I was not a qualified welder, although I have welded for 3 years continuously just before I retired in 2001

It seems that the big guns there are worried that Chinese/Russian technology is out to make all the Miller, Hobart and Lincoln welders obsolette....far from it, they are just different welders and you takes your choice whatever.

Here's a test I did in my first go about a year ago, and this is an eye opener for any sceptic.

I put two pieces of steel plate together butted, no weld preperation, one piece was 12mm the other 10mm, rough as you can get, plenty of surface rust and scale.

The purpose of the test was to see how the 'Plaz acted under extreme conditions, such as you'd get on a piece of farm equipment that had spent years out in the open and was rusted to blazes.

The two pieces were laid on a fire brick and no clamping was used, the reason was to see how much distortion occured with free standing parts.

The test was Ok in that I penetrated deeply almost to the bottom of the 10mm plate and welded it for a distance of approx 125mm, then I checked it with a straight edge, (piece of plate), and welded the other side to make it complete....it hadn't moved, so the test for me was good.

Another job I did for a bracket to hold my TV aerial up, made from 4mm plate with two right angled brackets to clamp the pole and hold the pole upright.

You'd expect to see the back of the 4mm plate bow out, but it didn't move at all...got a photo to prove it, so proof is in the pudding....lOL.

This for me was the deciding moment that it would make my existing welding gear of stick, Mig and Tig obsolete, and I would not have to put it onto Ebay to sell it on, and the need for Argon and gas bottle rental was a door to be closed forever.

Incidently, I had the need to use the 'Plaz for some heating and bending.......now I will never have the yen to own an Oxy/Acc outfit ever again.

One thing I did find and that was the corner weld which I always previously ended up frequently having to grind out and redo when I used to stick weld, 'cos it looked like crow sh!t on barbed wire, all lumpy and sticking to one side or the other, but now the plasma weld is like a super Tig, only with more oomph, and I get a nice even bead in the corners.

I also don't have to worry about any slag inclusions that I previously had to hammer out from the lumpy welds from when I used to stick weld....ggrrrr ggrrrrrrr!

It certainly made life easier for a whole range of jobs.
Ian.
Billbong

BTW, if the guys that invented the 'Plaz, could have made something to keep the gun filled with water/alcohol on the run, like a pump and tank etc, instead of having to cool the tip and refill, the weld time would be enormous, although the 15 min I get at the momenbt is OK for most of my needs.....even with stick welding you have to stop and reload the electrode every 5 mins or so.
Ian.
Billbong

Hi all, I just want to add that although this outfit is going great for me, the sourcing of the consumeables is not........my local welding supplier, from whom I bought the 'Plaz, has taken 4 weeks to get the consumeables, that is the copper welding and cutting nozzles and the internal copper cathode tips, and still has not got back to me.....the latest 'phone call yesterday was still a "I'll get back to you" no show.

I'm having some joy with a firm in New Zealand who stock all the bits and pieces so I'm waiting now for the delivery.......gonna stock up a few wear out parts so's I don't get a delay in my hobby.

I'm even considering having a look at a regular plasma cutter electrode to see if they can be re-worked to fit the 'Plaz.....I know the copper welding and cutting nozzle for the 'Plaz is a straight forward turning exercise in copper, so no big deal there, but the cathode with the Hafnium insert is going to be a head scratcher.....lucky Hafnium is not a toxic or radio active material, just very rare and expensive.

The electrodes for a regular plasma cutter are dirt cheap on Ebay, approx $1 each if bought in packs of 20 or more, so with a bit of reworking the light at the end of the tunnel might shine brightly yet.

Anyone contemplating buying into this technology will, without a consumeables source, be having the same problems I'm having.
Ian.

The Hafnium cathodes are $6.25 each and spare nozzles are $6.50 each.
http://shop.multiplaz.com/multiplazcust ... ables.aspx

BTW - The regular plasma cutter consumables that come with my Everlast Combo unit use a hafnium insert.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Welcome to our forum Bill. All welcome here, Except spammers :twisted: Are you able to post any pics of your multiplaz welds? Gents. I am hearing good things but yet to see photos on this site.

Ps Bill, where in Australia are you?

Regards Mick
Billbong

Hi Mick, I'm down in North Dandenong, Melbourne.

I've got a number of photo's from my first attempts but they're all on my old computer that is at the moment being used as a footstool under the desk.....as soon as I get the hard drive out and linked into the new one I'll post the photos for your criticism......getting the hang of Win 7 on the new computer is a challenge after Win XP.

I am not sensitive to criticism, having been thumped hard on the Hobart site by the experts who have never seen or used the Multiplaz, well some of them had a go over in the USA.......but judging by the demo I took part in at our local dealership, the ability to judge the unit at a strange location for the first time is pretty hard....it's a whole lot different to "normal" welding, a bit like Oxy/Acc with Tig characteristics, but that's as far as it goes.

I've had the unit for over a year now, and I haven't used my other gear during that period.

I think I was sold when I saw the small flame coming out of the nozzle and no gas of any description was being used........the ultimate plug in and play concept come to life.

The unit is designed to work on 240 volt at 15 amps, but I have used it on the 10 amp supply line without tripping the breaker.

I decided at the outset that I was going to make it work as the demos on Utube show what others can do and it's a matter of application.
Ian.
Billbong

Hi werkspace, the price for the cathodes and nozzles you posted in your post is fantastic....our local supplier and agent for the 'Plaz quoted me a "special" price of A$13.00 for each of the items.

I find this very disapointing, as I can get regular Plasma cutting electrodes for $20 for a packet of 20 on Ebay, even though the design is different, the cathode for the plasma cutter also has the Hafnium insert in the end.

I've ordered a few from Ebay to see if I can make my own Multiplaz type cathodes by making the blanks from copper and removing the Hafnium inserts from the Plasma cutter electrodes and pressing them in.....have to wait till they come and then I'll give it a go.

Even the copper nozzles are a dissapoinment at our local supplier at $13 each, so I'm going to measure them up and see if I can make my own....... just a bit of straight turning.

I have a large fly press, about 9 tons capacity, commonly known as a "Widow Maker", so a die might be the better way to produce the copper nozzles in one or two hits, annealing between hits.

A billet of copper, about 20mm diam and 10mm long would only cost about 20 cents at most, the rest is all arm work swinging the handle of the press....if I weigh the nozzle I could just put a piece of copper into the die the same weight and thump it down into the die.

Another method would be to use the heat of the 'Plaz to melt the copper into a steel mold and just "die cast" them.

In a split mold I could even make the blanks for the cathodes complete with threads....the ideas are coming thick and fast.

In my opinion the supply of the consumeables will make or break the 'Plaz.
Ian.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi Ian,

Im up in Bendigo. Sounds like you are having fun with your 'plaz. How does it go on a typical mig joint of, say, 50x50 rhs in a mitre corner with another 50x50 welded on the top. Like a table leg? Thats something I just made so thats the first thing that came to mind, lol.

Mick