General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
leeholschuh
    Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Currently our welders "spiderman" across the top of our 6 foot tanks. We do not have a place to tie them off for fall protection. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

When all else fails, I'll weld a pad-eye in the middle of my work area, and tie off short (4' lanyard) to a shackle. (To meet OSHA, it should be a safety shackle, i.e. bolt, nut, lynch pin.)

Steve
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

If you inside, over a concrete floor and you have a few tanks to build. An option is a stand alone frame. Only has to be basic, think a gallows type set up. Minus the noose of couse.

Mick
FluxCore
    Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 am

Well.....are they actually welding on the tanks, or welding on equipment/structures atop or above the tanks?

Sorry, but it's rather hard to picture your situation only knowing the height of the tanks....Are they large and flat topped, clustered together, far apart, connected by overhead piping, indoors or out?

How about a picture and also what the tanks contain? Are they pressure vessels, or vented?
Hobart 210MVP
Hobart 235AC/DC Stickmate
Hypertherm Powermax 45
HF O/A
Longevity Stickweld 140 (intended for Tig)
leeholschuh
    Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:26 pm

They are pressurized "heater/treater" tanks. The seam to be welded is on the "top"of the tank, the tanks lay horizontally with the top approximately 6 feet off the ground.
FluxCore
    Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:18 am

Being welders, they can construct some simple scaffolding, I would think.....It can also be rented rather cheaply.
Hobart 210MVP
Hobart 235AC/DC Stickmate
Hypertherm Powermax 45
HF O/A
Longevity Stickweld 140 (intended for Tig)