General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

He is probably upset because you don't know better than to try and weld steel to what looks like aluminium. You better try to make up because if you need to weld thicker stock you will need his bigger clamps - that ones pretty much maxed out. :lol:
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

homeboy wrote: - that ones pretty much maxed out. :lol:
Yeah, better weld some reinforcement to that clamp before you break it :lol:
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Haven't we all known people who are stupid enough to do something like that? :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

NOJeff :roll:

We learned what that is and how to use it in 7th grade :mrgreen:
exnailpounder

AndersK wrote:NOJeff :roll:

We learned what that is and how to use it in 7th grade :mrgreen:
:lol: We may have learned what that was and how to use it but todays breed of "man" can't even change a tire. I just found out the highschool I went to doesn't offer metal shop or any other trade training anymore. Us old timers are going to have to live forever otherwise there will be no one to fix broken things.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

where do the batteries go?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
motox

kids today don't dream about building stuff,
they dream about buying stuff.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:kids today don't dream about building stuff,
craig
That is a sad truth with very few exceptions.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

ldbtx wrote:
craig

Larry
I figured I'll give you a little hope and let you know that there is a few left. I am one myself. sixteen and waiting for high school to end to go get my quick education in welding and go weld. I was fortunate enough to be able to take up to like 18 credits at my tech school. A majority of the students there are ready and willing to weld. The school just moved their manufacturing campus and is almost out of room now. The main part that provides success is the staff. The instructors are really laid back guys and make it like an actual weld shop. It's all an education problem. We've created a culture of college-get that four year degree in something and if you don't know what you want to do then still go to college and figure it out. There is no longer the sense of pride in craftsmanship. No one looks at a building and say WOW that must have been one heck of a job. I am the exact opposite in which I will stare at a buildings rafters and figure out the structure. What we have to do is talk to the youth of America. Any teachers out there whether you are a shop teacher or not need to talk about woodworking or metalworking or any other skill trade. That's where it starts.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

http://profoundlydisconnected.com/

There might be some hope...but not a lot.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

craig
I used to dream about buying stuff until I built my first thing. I started when I was 17, no school, no teacher. Just got a job where I had to fix things and ended up redesigning things to make them last longer and operate better, since then. Its what I do, but now I build stuff :)

I am the guy that would rather build it than buy it, simple because, why not?
if there's a welder, there's a way
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I too like to build, repair and make stuff even if it costs more than buying it. :P I am a perfectionist too so to someone else they sometimes don't really understand. :lol:
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Farmwelding wrote:
ldbtx wrote:
craig

Larry
I figured I'll give you a little hope and let you know that there is a few left. I am one myself. sixteen and waiting for high school to end to go get my quick education in welding and go weld. I was fortunate enough to be able to take up to like 18 credits at my tech school. A majority of the students there are ready and willing to weld. The school just moved their manufacturing campus and is almost out of room now. The main part that provides success is the staff. The instructors are really laid back guys and make it like an actual weld shop. It's all an education problem. We've created a culture of college-get that four year degree in something and if you don't know what you want to do then still go to college and figure it out. There is no longer the sense of pride in craftsmanship. No one looks at a building and say WOW that must have been one heck of a job. I am the exact opposite in which I will stare at a buildings rafters and figure out the structure. What we have to do is talk to the youth of America. Any teachers out there whether you are a shop teacher or not need to talk about woodworking or metalworking or any other skill trade. That's where it starts.
It all works together. I used to be a math teacher (still work at a school though). Even though my school is oriented towards math & science, we still try to have hands-on alternatives like the Solar Car project our students are working on. What ever you do, while you're "waiting for high school to end", do not let up on any subject, especially math or science when going into a field like welding.

Quote from another forum:
smc1118 wrote:I need help I need to learn math fast and for free because I don't have the founds to go back to school for it but I was always bad at math really bad and I am realizing that all the good jobs you need to know math can any help me or point me in the direction of some really good websites thank you all

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"I have too much education", said no one ever.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I always hated math when I was in school and thought as long as I can count money and make sure I get the correct change back, I was good to go. Then many years later I started to learn computer programming. :roll: I sure thought about how important some of that math was so I purchased some used student math books and learned on my own and created my application just fine. But it was an interruption in my work flow. ;)
motox

my hats off to anyone (young or old) who wants to build
or make something better. with your hands or brains it
makes littler difference as long as there is an outcome.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It's a pretty amazing feeling when you can say to a customer. " Don't tell me what you think you need, tell me what you want, and what you want it to do. We'll just build it!
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Olivero wrote:
craig
I used to dream about buying stuff until I built my first thing. I started when I was 17, no school, no teacher. Just got a job where I had to fix things and ended up redesigning things to make them last longer and operate better, since then. Its what I do, but now I build stuff :)

I am the guy that would rather build it than buy it, simple because, why not?

about the same here.. bought all i dream a bout buying these days is more welding rods, and shit to weld up and the ocsinal upgrade for my tractor or truck to make it better.. kinda been kicking around the idea of faber cobbling a tractor out of a old POS that i was given.. would love to make one with live hydralics love the old 67 sears though pulled it out of the back yard at my dads place.. re engined it.. sadly not much use for it quite yet as it needs a bit more work and TLC and engine needs help lol.. poor old briggs is got a bad govner anything over 1900 RPM and it hunts bad.. not much that can be done to it outisde of a govner deleate.. still might do that this sping but will need a new carb and what not.. updraft thing wont let it happen with out someone maching up something for me.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.