General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
rynofab
    Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:53 am

so i just picked up a 95 syncrowave 250. when i got it the top mounted cooling system had a little residue. figured a slow leak. the guy said it had come up ( fairbanks alaska) from florida in a truck. said it had been sitting at least a year. im getting the hf but i cant even puddle 1/8 alum. i bypassed the foot control and i cleaned/ set the gap to .008. after messing around with it a bit with i decided to try the stick. got nothin. anyway i got the skirt off and am going to clean some of the connections up. some sre pretty corroded.
back to the coolant. it was sitting on a home made cart. there was a shelf on top so the coolant wasnt just pooring down on the welder. still the top of the welder was a bit rusted and it kinda smelled like dog piss.... now that i mention it there was a blind dog in the shop when i picked it up. yep im pretty sure i bought a pissin post.
i drained the coolant. it was nasty. i dont thing that getting the guts of the welder a little sogy would hurt it as long as it was dry when fired it up, but is there something in that coolant that would reek (get it) havoc on my welders goodys?
rynofab

i took the c board out and looked it over. nothing looked toasted. also i went through and cleaned "wiggled" all the control wires. shunt connections above the fan where pretty bad cleaned and greased them. cleaned and greased the big ac dc connection "fins". i have the foot control, cooling system and gas disconected. the 120 transformer is working but no spark at the stick. the icecube "cr2" relay for the gas kicks on when i do have the foot control connected. there is a cube relay that kicks on when i fire up welder "cr5". i forgot my meter at home so im headed back to the shop with it.
rynofab

the 3rd cube (cr1) relay under there is bad. it goes to the hf switch on the load side and to a ct on the coil side?? anybody know what that does exactly? i think it has to with the constant vs start up setting on the toggle . not sure tho.
rynofab

EFF It! Looks like im going to have to make the 100 mile drive to fairbanks to take it in to the shop. when i find out what it was ill post it up...