General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Saz
  • Saz
    Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:28 am

As the subject says, I need to make an adapter that goes from a 4 prong 30A dryer outlet to plug in a 3 prong extension cord for my machines. I live in military housing so tapping into the electrical panel and running another outlet is out of the question. There is one lonely 110v outlet in the entire garage, and as soon as I get the amperage over 100A I trip breakers left and right. Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L48SDWS/re ... A9LM3Y9SP7

If not, can I simply adapt a 4 prong plug onto a 10ga extension cord with the 3 on the other end? If so what do you do with the ground and neutral? Attach the ground and leave the neutral?
Lincoln MP210
Lincoln SW200
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes if the plugs match. I have lots of adapters made up because I work on site for lots of different places that have lots of different kinds of plugs. You just need to verify with an electrical meter or have an electrician check to make sure the existing plug is wired right.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Your 220/240 3 prong plug has no neutral. The 4 prong dryer plug has 2 hots, a ground and a neutral. Buy an 8 quage extension cord that matches your machine and change the male end to match the dryer outlet, ignore the neutral.
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

The adapter you posted a picture of has the wrong female end. Cheaper to make something like this, https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-P1430650 ... B00SSQIY5G
Saz
  • Saz
    Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:28 am

Got one made. I had a 10ga 50' cord for plugging in my 5th wheel so it was "repurposed". Found the correct cable ends and it works fine so far. Didnt even get warm. Thanks Guys!
Lincoln MP210
Lincoln SW200