General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
what
    Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Hello
I have a few questions and there is not that many braze forums out there and I hope I could get an answer here so here are my questions if you have any info?
1 they have a car trailer plan on ebay here’s the link to it http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-Tand ... 6679381106

my question is can it be built not using welding but instead using brazing ? I myself I have a small flux core mig 90 amp which on a car trailer would make me nervous using it because I’m pretty sure that it does not have the penetrating power to hold that plan together but I have a friend with a brazing setup in his garage and he swears by brazing and he thought brazing would work just fine I ‘m just not sure of its ability?

And what is the limitations on butt joint brazing I’ve been told that butt joints on brazing would never hold up under a cars weight then I’ve told the opposite that braze is just as strong as welding and could hold up here is the link to the brazing rods that would be used i know that the link says aluminum repair but the page states its for iron/steel http://www.aluminumrepair.com/hts528.asp

Thanks for any info
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Not trying to be stupid, but if you value your life and the posessions you are gonna put on that trailer, DON"T EVEN THINK ABOUT BRAZING A TRAILER TOGETHER.
Yes, brazing can produce a joint with tensile strengths as strong or stronger than welds, but your fit-up has to be perfect every time. You can not have any gaps in your fit-up if you want to braze.
My suggestion to you would be to rent a welder to use.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
what
    Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Thanks for your input

I did already know about having to have the fit up being prefect. My friend already told me that the fit would have to be spot on with a tolerance of no great then .003 and he would go with .001 on every piece of the trailer but I have always like mig welders and I would just borrow an 220 volt mig 120 amp when I need one and eventually I purchased a little 90 amp flux core for fast little jobs and also that way wouldn’t have to mess with the shielding gas and I thought about renting a larger one for this but my friend said how about letting him try brazing of course I did not say yes or no I just need a lot more info before I could give him an answer.

That’s when I start doing some research on the subject because I have never really brazed before and was unsure of the limitations of brazing ( not trying to start a braze vs welding war or anything ) anyways I got a lot of conflicting information on the topic where one group would say the brazing could not get full penetration on anything thicker than ½ inch steel and even if it did a butt joint would never hold that weight while another group would say that it did not matter, that a mig or tig or even a stick or brazing could not get good penetration on steel that is much thicker than a ½ inch so If it was an inch thick or more then drill a hole and bolt it while another group said that all of the above could as long as it was strong enough and produced enough heat and assuming that one did it right .

And like I said I have use a 120 amp mig I have never needed to weld anything that was over a ½ inch thick so I wasn't real sure which could or couldn’t but now I know brazing can as long as it meets a high high perfection in its cleanliness and fit tolerances but I steal have to kind of think that a butt/lap joint might be better when it comes to brazing than just a butt joint and on that thought I think I’ll stick with renting a larger mig but who knows maybe I’ll let my friend do a little trailer so I can see the whole brazing process I just won’t put any of my stuff on there or at least not at first LOL.

Thanks again
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I think the only thing worse than placing your prized possessions on a trailer that is held together by brazing, would be to drive behind it on the highway!
I have been brazing for over 30 years and teach it, and I would never consider it.
I might even be wary of the 120 amp mig welder as well on 1/2" thick steel!
Sorry, just my opinion!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
Ed from Ohiol
    Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

I agree 100% with the last 2 replies. Brazing would make for an unsafe trailer. I would oxy. acc. weld before brazing. No I am not recommending that either. I agree with renting a welder or prepping the whole job and barter with someone that is a good welder to do it. I've helped out many of my local neighbors like that for a case of beer and hot dog. I'm sure you'll be able to return the favor some day. Ed K.